Yak ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yak ??

Hate to show my ignorance, but what are the differences between Steadfast and Checkmate?? I believe one has a 2000, and the other a 2800.....what were the orginal engines?? What mods have been done to them? Thanks.......just trying to educate myself a little.
    Brian

Re: Yak ??

I can't speak too much about Czech Mate, but Steadfast is a new Yak 3U built in Romania. Originally the prototype used an Ash-82 I believe. They built very few radial Yak 3's. Yes it has an R-2000.
    Red
    chanting...400+

Comment

The Yak 3U was a development of the inline powered Yak 3.

CzechMate is a Yak 11 which is a trainer. It had two seats and a 750 hp ASh-21. CMate has been very modified including R-2800, Skyraider prop, new cockpit layout complete with street signs, inner gear doors, taller tail, lengthened fuselage, and I think they replaced the wood pieces with aluminum.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
        new cockpit layout complete with street signs
        Yup... gotta love those rudder pedals...
        Czech Mate was getting a new leg last weekend but should make Reno.
        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

[ and I think they replaced the wood pieces with aluminum.[/QUOTE]

I've worked on 5 Yak-11's and derivitives and there is no wood in them. Fabric, yes, wood - no.

Comment

man if the prototype of the new Yak-3U radials had the Ash-82 man that would make a fast racer, the Ash-82 in standard trim has about 1500hp, but if it was the Ash-82F they could be run at take off power (1700hp) all day that would be fast, ive seen the Lavochkin La-9 in action and that is a FAST airplane..... and they have an Ash-82Fn which is 1800hp at take off
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

If you saw and LA-7 fly your a bit older than I am and I'm no spring chicken. From what I know not one LA-7 was flyable after 1947

Comment

Except for the restored, flying version in New Zealand.
                Chris...

Comment

La-9, not La-7.

Yours for $850k

Having seen it fly a few times in the UK during the few months it was based there, a VERY spectacular and rare machine with a unique sound.

Comment

Working...
                  X