It's not all about the Bear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not all about the Bear...

Today was a great day in the history of a certain Grumman F8F-2 'Bearcat'. We all know this certain 'Bearcat'. She has had her highs, and her lows. But we will all note with a smile, that on this day, this certain 'Bearcat', was flying high.

With a drink in my hand, a big smile on my face...I present to you...'Rare Bear' 2007. Today was the first time in almost a full year that Da Bear left the bonds of Earth and returned to her element. I was proud to be there, and I'm proud to bring you a few photos from Rare Bear's first two flights of 2007.

But we must not forget about the man behind the stick. The man who guided Rare Bear back into the sky. The man who will go head to head against the best and the fastest...John Penney

So you see, it's not all about the Bear.

But we must also not forget the many long days, the many late nights, the blood, the sweat, and perhaps even a tear or two, from the men and their women, who have worked long and hard to make todays flights possible. Great job everyone!!! The Bear looked and sounded awesome!!!

And a special shout out to John Penney. Thank you for returning to guide the beloved Rare Bear back into the skies. And thank you for sharing a little bit of your time with me.

And now I present to you the legendary Rare Bear, and the great John Penney...

Lonnie

PS. I talked to the painters today and saw a sample of their work. When these guys are done, the Bear is going to look oh so sweet.

They are displaying backwards...
    Attached Files

Re: It's not all about the Bear...

Any idea of how much paint they are going to do now? Just a name and number job, or a little more?

Comment

It's going to be a little more. Over the last few days it was looking like they were not going to have time for anything more than numbers, but with the good flights today, it's looks like the painters will have some time to work a little of their magic. If they are there tomorrow, I will spend a little time with them and get some background info. One thing is for sure, this will not be their first aircraft.

Lonnie

Comment

Thanks Lonnie.

Wonder if the inside still looks like this?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG
          Thanks Lonnie.

Wonder if the inside still looks like this?

For the moment, I'm going to say yes. I sat in that seat last week, and John went over everything with me. Again, I can't say enough about the team. But yes, I would have to say that it's pretty much the same. I'll talk to Dave and see if it's ok to post a photo of the cockpit.

Lonnie

Comment

here is some form today shawn
            Attached Files

Comment

It was great to see you and Stevo again. I think the Bear caught Stevo napping this morning.

Great photos, aren't John, Dave and the gang some really great people? Not to say others out there aren't.

I've met a lot of new people over these last few weeks, and they have all been great.

Lonnie

Comment

yes it was good to see John , i met John years ago at the NAG Banquiet my step mother was president then and they had theese basa wood airplanes gliders for a indoor air race. One of them had Rare Bear. well John took his and took a butter knife and clip the wings thats was so cool. Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                  I think the Bear caught Stevo napping this morning.
                  No, no, no... the first flight I was out getting parts and the second flight I was... ahhh... eating lunch and here on AAFO. Sheesh, what was I thinking.
                  Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                  My Photos
                  My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                    No, no, no... the first flight I was out getting parts and the second flight I was... ahhh... eating lunch and here on AAFO. Sheesh, what was I thinking.
                    Your there a little early aren't you!! That's not fair.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                      Your there a little early aren't you!! That's not fair.
                      Advantage #101 of now living less than 3 hours away.
                      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                      My Photos
                      My Ride

Comment

Working...
                      X