September Pops Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September Pops Update

Thought you guys might like to see the latest from Ione and September Fury... Updates on 232 on the pops website, including photos

Michael

Re: September Pops Update

Aw heck Micheal.. Mike brown says: "In fact, we could fuel up this airplane today and run the gold race." Rare Bear crew? "After next week we might be down to painting support equipment."

Just another year of the best against the... best..

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Any inflight shots of Rare Bear..? How is their test program going?

Comment

Something to consider...

I may be wrong about this, but I was told by a member of Bear crew that the Bear is about two thousand pounds lighter than Race 232. If that's even close to accurate...well it's just a matter of physics.

I bow to all that come here and race, and to those that will not quite make it here this year. No matter who wins the race, we all win just by all these great competitors making the journey to Reno

See you at the races...

Lonnie

PS: I do not know if they have turned that big motor of theirs yet, I'll give them a shout tomorrow and see how things are going. I'm just as confident as they are. Until the flag is waving in the air, I will not count this amazing team out.

Comment

Arrrrg

Do you remember in Pirates of the Caribbean, the scene where the medallion hits the water and the shock wave goes out and the wind comes up.
          I wonder if they felt that in Ione today?

Comment

SEE POST # (CLICK HERE)

Significant ripples in the force today have been reported..

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Mike-
              Did you get to raise the number of parameters in YOUR system on MBs aircraft? I think MB needs a bigger RCAT sticker on it....

BTW-how many pits will you be involved with this year?
              Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Looks like squared off wing tips, so possibly the ex-Critical Mass outboard wings are installed.
                Prop chord could be wider also.

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB
                  Hey Mike-
                  Did you get to raise the number of parameters in YOUR system on MBs aircraft? I think MB needs a bigger RCAT sticker on it....

BTW-how many pits will you be involved with this year?
                  System is relatively the same. 30+ parameters.

A dozen or so teams are using my telemetry equipment.

Looks like squared off wing tips, so possibly the ex-Critical Mass outboard wings are installed.
                  The panels actually started life off on Miss Merced, then were used on Blind Man's Bluff, and then obviously, Critical Mass. so Kerch has worked on these wings before. Wing panels with quite the history.

Michael

Comment

All Right!...almost Nemesis style wing tips...wish some of the Mustangs would go that route,..more of a raked back wing tip. Get Jimmy to do Nemesis tips on the Ghost for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                      Something to consider...

I may be wrong about this, but I was told by a member of Bear crew that the Bear is about two thousand pounds lighter than Race 232. If that's even close to accurate...well it's just a matter of physics..
                      Yeah, its all physics. But that means more than *just* power/weight ratio. Its going to be very interesting to see how it plays out, precisely because the airplanes are so different in many ways.

But I'm also going to be keeping my eyes on a purple Mustang, too

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
                        System is relatively the same. 30+ parameters.

A dozen or so teams are using my telemetry equipment.

The panels actually started life off on Miss Merced, then were used on Blind Man's Bluff, and then obviously, Critical Mass. so Kerch has worked on these wings before. Wing panels with quite the history.

Michael

They actually started out as clipped on Signal Sea Fury, (Sherm Cooper bought the airplane in racing form from Michael Carroll's estate, it was built into a racer by Vern Baker in Long Beach, it didn't start it's existence when Kerch crewed it for Sherm!)... and Dennis Sanders has worked on those wings before as well.

Parts Fury Argonaut was supposed to inherit all of the racing parts from Dreadnought (it to go back to stock) and have the outer panels from N878M, in the late eighties. Dennis repaired the wings to airworthy then (they were wrecked when Sherm crashed at Mojave in '71) and traded them off to Larry Burton and Eric Levolor (sp) when Larry threatened to Radiax the wings they had on their T20, Blind Man's Bluff, or so the story goes!

Who was the first man to pylon race a clipped wing Fury?

Chris...

Comment

Lyle Shelton.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                            Lyle Shelton.

Yous' guys are so smart...!
                            Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
                              Yous' guys are so smart...!
                              Chris...
                              Which bring us around to a new point, only Lyle has flown both sets of those wing panels. If but for a cut pylon with Sea Fury back in the day, she may have shined better that first year.

A bunch of what if's huh? What if the Signal Sea Fury hadn't cut that pylon, What if Lyle or Darryl had flown the Cobra instead of Mike? They were both supposed to but were unavailable. Lyle on a trip with TWA, Darryl testing some Mach 3 monster. Back in 1965 when Lyle was racing Richard Vartanians P-51, Richard owned a P-51 that was N13Y, it was disassembled and he and Lyle talked racing it, The deal could not be worked out, but I remember going to see the wings and fuselage with my dad. I think the ill-inspired (for Reno) thought they neded a -224 was really the deal breaker. There were stacks of -7s and -9s there then.
                              Oh well, Time is the great equalizer.
                              John Slack

Comment

Working...
                              X