2007 Unlimited line up ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Unlimited line up ??

I was told yesterday that the entries for this years unlimiteds were on the light side and not able to fill the field. Does anyone know where I can access the entry list?

Thanks ~ cloudchaser

Re: 2007 Unlimited line up ??

have a look

Ervan

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427
      I was told yesterday that the entries for this years unlimiteds were on the light side and not able to fill the field. Does anyone know where I can access the entry list?

Thanks ~ cloudchaser
      The class this year is about average in size to years past. But a re-built Rare Bear, and returning champ Sept. Fury will make it interesting. Don't count out Strega either.......
      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
        Every year you guys forget about Czech Mate. !
        Forget about Czech Mate????

NEVER!!

LD Hughes, Sherm Smoot and John and Maricia Moore are ALWAYS very high on the list of "watch out" these guys might do something totally unexpected...

Airrace.org (query) some of the early times of Peristroika when Bob Yancy first raced her..

This is a very interesting airplane that bears watching from year to year!

No WAY she's ever counted out!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks for the site Ervan ~ looks like we have 29 unlimited entries this year.
          I'm sorry to see that Bill Rheinschild has not listed his 117 Fury this year. He's been a regular for a long time.

Cloudchaser

Comment

Don't forget to delete the Ghost from the lineup...

Comment

Latest word is Vintage v12 is putting together race motor for Tiger. My suggestion is don't count out Tiger. Rare Bear, Tiger, Sept Fury, Dreadnought, Checkmate, Voodoo. Does not sound like a light field to me.Looks like a three plane race for 1st followed by a three plane field for second. Not bad!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
                Latest word is Vintage v12 is putting together race motor for Tiger. My suggestion is don't count out Tiger. Rare Bear, Tiger, Sept Fury, Dreadnought, Checkmate, Voodoo. Does not sound like a light field to me.Looks like a three plane race for 1st followed by a three plane field for second. Not bad!!!

But every one knows that Mike Nixon refuses to do race motors anymore, so this adds a good rumor to the mill, but those in the know understand it can't be true.

Comment

Originally posted by King
                  those in the know understand it can't be true.
                  Hummn... Matt Jackson= those not in the know?

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

rumors

an more rumors

just don't know who to believe anymore

Comment

Originally posted by King
                      just don't know who to believe anymore
                      I only believe my own eyes and ears when I arrive at Stead.
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
                        Rare Bear, Tiger, Sept Fury, Dreadnought, Checkmate, Voodoo. Does not sound like a light field to me.Looks like a three plane race for 1st followed by a three plane field for second. Not bad!!!
                        Wouldn't that be a three plane field for fourth? Three vying for 1st covers the first three positions and the remaining three covers 4th through 6th. (Yes, I am picking nits again.) Now then, consider that one Merlin will blow and one round motor will be down on power; the whole thing is shuffled and....we'll know what happened on Monday morning. It does look like a great field is shaping up for the Unlimited Gold though.

Comment

I wouldn't discount this rumor at all. My understanding is that Nixon was going to build Tiger a race motor for 2007, but those plans were waylaid for some reason. So the fact that we hear he may be building one now is not a big surprise. And don't forget about the race Merlin Nixon built for Joe Thibodeau's Crusader Mustang back in about 2003, I believe. Thibodeau ran something like 418 MPH to win the Bronze race going away... definitely a Nixon-built race Merlin.

SA

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again
                            definitely a Nixon-built race Merlin.
                            What's the differance if any between a Nixon race motor and Sparrow's and Rick S. and Jack hovey's?

Comment

Really the big divide is between Mouse and non Mouse. With the Allison rod Mouse it seems an engine builder can use high boost at somewhat lower RPM with -9 blower gears. For instance, a Mouse might run 130+ inches MP and 3400 RPM to go really fast. With the classic Zeuschel - Nixon - Hovey race motors you might see 3800 or more rpm with -7 gears to get similar power, and connecting rods leaving engines all around the course. There are certainly differences in philosophy and practice among the various builders of RR/Packard rod motors, but the thing that has made Mustangs able to approach 500 mph seems to have been the Allison rods (along with Dwight's genius!).

Be aware that all this is my perspective on the issue, and I'm a photographer, not a mechanic or engine person. Any insight from hands on folks would be much appreciated...

Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X