Sensor cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensor cleaning?

After looking through my pictures of the Indianapolis airshow, I've noticed quite a few spots on my images. Although I'm very careful to keep as much dust as possible out, it appears that I have quite a bit to clean out. Seeing that Reno is just around the corner, I need to get it cleaned.

I guess my question is, will using a rocket blower as recommended in the manual actually get the sensor clean? Leaning to having a shop take care of the cleaning for me. Anyone have this done before? Approximatley what kind of charges am I looking at.

Thanks in advance,
    Warren

Re: Sensor cleaning?

Rocket blower works well, use it all the time. I used this for the first time this year (see link below). Worked well, but I had to do it a few times to get all the crap off.

Most comprehensive online resource for nature photographers featuring photo sharing galleries, forums, adventure photography workshops, gear store, articles, and more.

Comment

Sensor Sweep! A little brush with static charge one sweep, dust gone! Most effective method I've found in the 7 year's I've been DSLR...

I'll look for the link..

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Is THIS it? I mentioned it sometime ago... it worked for me then and still works for me now.
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

The "Copperhill Method" stevo recommends is a good wet-cleaning system, but to be honest, I only rarely use it. My primary cleaning technique is a Visible Dust Sensor Brush (currently called Arctic Butterfly). It's essentially the same as Wayne's recommended "Sensor Sweep".

One caveat, I've notice that my brush works very poorly in high-humidity (not surprising for something that relies on static electricity). So, don't try and clean your sensor on a hot, humid summer day. Wait until you're back in the air-conditioned hotel and everything has had a chance to equilibrate, and the cleaning process will go much faster.

Another recommendation is to get something like the Sensor Scope. It helps quickly find dust specs and let you target your efforts.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffS
            The "Copperhill Method" stevo recommends is a good wet-cleaning system, but to be honest, I only rarely use it.
            Copperhill has a few different cleaning options... the one I linked to is a "dry" method. It's the same "very fine bristle brush with a static charge" that many companies now offer, but at $24, it's one of the cheapest (but still high quality IMHO).
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
              Copperhill has a few different cleaning options... the one I linked to is a "dry" method.
              D'oh! I keep forgetting Copperhill has branched out beyond their original "PEC-Pads + Eclipse" product.

So, static-charged brushes seem to be popular...

Has anyone here tried Dust Aid?

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input.

You can see what prompted the question in this photo..just above the canopy..

Much appreciated.

ONLY 2 WEEKS before we start taking a LOT of photos.....love this digital format...

Warren Laurendine
                Crewmember - Race 22
                "Two of Hearts"

Comment

Another recommendation is to get something like the Sensor Scope. It helps quickly find dust specs and let you target your efforts.
                  OK.. you just cost me 90 bux but it just came and it is the cat's arse!

It's a tiny bit out of focus at the distance to my chip, I wish they would have included the ability to alter that distance, slightly, to compensate but geez... Found a pesky spot that I'd missed and also saw that there was NOTHING else so I could put the body plug back on and be sure it's clean..

THIS is really a useful tool.. pricy, but useful!

Has anyone here tried Dust Aid?
                  That, looks scary!

I've cleaned wet, I've cleaned dry (both high pressure "air" and the brush) I'm never going to be totally comfortable with wet cleaning.. So far <knocks on wood> have not had to with either of my bodies.. I clean daily, though, using the brush.. Mostly just a precaution.. the Scope thingie will eleminate precautionary cleanings!

Good thread!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                  X