Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine availability

Hi Folks,

I'm a longtime lurker here and three time Reno attendee and am curious about something. Does anyone have a good idea of the remaining availability or supply of the various engines used in the unlimited class? I assume the supply of Merlin's & 3350's will eventually dry up leaving racers without a engine. Can or would some Mustang's & Sea Fury's be converted to run Griffon's or 4360's ala PM and Dreadnought?

Thanks,

David

Re: Engine availability

I'd suspect that your alternatives are even rarer.....

Maybe they would have to go to <gasp!> turboprops ........
    the other Wayne................

Comment

Actually 4360s are pretty common...
      Jerry Beck II
      Director of Photography
      1st. Asst. Director
      Thunder Over Reno

Comment

It's Just the Spark Plugs that are Expensive!...D.

Comment

Actually 4360s are pretty common...
          I know that up until a few years ago there was a yard outside of Travis AFB that held quite a few 4360's. Looked like some kind of QEC assemblies, maybe from C-124's. Also had a bunch of engine cans, don't know what was in them, and a Piasecki helicopter. Hav'nt been around there in awhile.
          Most of the ranches in the area had engine cans made into troughs and C-5 noses made into sheds.

I would think there are a few more 4360's and 3350's around than any other big engines. Just a matter of whether the type is right for these applications, and condition.
          There must be engines out there for all these Sea Fury conversions along with spares, etc.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Hey guys;
            It's not the engines so much, it's the spare parts i.e. crank cases, cylinders, crank shafts, etc.... And having ones that are serviceable or rebuild able. You also have to have a shop that can do the work and do it right. I can count more times than not of an engine with a fresh overhaul failing in the first 10 hours, and it was usually caused by parts being at the barely in tolerance for overhaul stage. Now most of your racer types do not go the cheap route, but it can still happen with good parts. It is getting harder every day to find good parts, and the guys with the craftsmanship to make them work well together.

Comment

Working...
            X