Warhawk Air Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warhawk Air Museum

I went down to Nampa Idaho again last weekend to see the Paul family and take some pictures at their B-25 days event...

Re: Warhawk Air Museum

Great pics Wingman, thanks for sharing!!! What was the photo ship

FBK

Comment

Thank you!

I was working out of Bob Nightingale's T-28D/Fennec, seen in these shots from last May. The flight was a struggle -- com problems, late takeoff, trouble finding the rest of the formation, canopy reflections in the bright sunlight, etc. I'm just pleased that I got some workable stuff...

Comment

Damn, missed another opportunity to meet you Neal. We've got to stop "not meeting" like this My daughter (6' brunette, gorgeous, 15 years old in case you saw her) and I walked right past you on Sunday I am sure. We were there later in the afternoon while the two Doolittle Raiders were chatting, to drop off my Dad's uniforms and a couple other odds and ends for the museum. They are going to build a display cabinet for his things that I gathered from his house.
        Speaking of the Museum, my neice (blond 5'10' beautiful, and an A-10 crew chief in training) and I went by on the 29th of July to talk to JC and Sue Paul, and to drop off a few other donations to the Museum. While I was talking to JC, apparently he could tell I needed some cheering up with my Dad's funeral the next morning, and said I looked like I could use a smile. He said he needed to take the P-40 out to get a little more time on the new motor, and would I like to go for a ride. I happened to have my Dad's AF flight suit in the car with all of his insignias, and wore it for the flight. It was only appropriate since my Dad wore my old Navy flight suit with my insignias for his last ride in the T-6 last September at Reno.
        All I can say is that was undoubtedly one of the top three or four coolest things I have ever done in my life, (not to mention my very first ride in a WWII fighter), but what a way to get there........ The next day at my father's Military ceremony at the Idaho State Veteran's Cemetery, shortly after the final note of Taps (by a real bugler) drifted away into the foothills, JC flew the P-40 in a low flyby pass right over us that blew everyone away. Then he returned for one more and wagged his wings in salute, keeping a straight line away and a slight climbout until he disappeared. Talk about an overwhelming experience. I kept it a secret except from those who really needed to know, and the old guys who had flown with my Dad back in their day, and even those who just knew my Dad, were speechless and thought that it was one of the best displays of last respects to a real gentleman and Patriot that they had ever witnessed. My brother in law taped it and I will post it when I get a chance to edit it down.
        I just want to publicly thank JC and Sue for their care and concern, and the Museum for being devoted to remembering the veterans of this great country we live in. I also wanted to thank them for making a difficult time one of the best moments in my life. I just want to tell everyone that if you ever get a chance to go to the Museum, do not miss the opportunity. You will never regret it.

Bill
        Attached Files
        Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
          [B]All I can say is that was undoubtedly one of the top three or four coolest things I have ever done in my life,
          I know, Bill....you don't have to say it.

I know I am number one on that list...but its okay to share 'me' with other cool experiences.

BTW...how come none of the women I served with looked like your neice????

Comment

P.S.Neal.......

Pretty photos as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              BTW...how come none of the women I served with looked like your neice????
              Well Brad, since you asked, they were all on the East Coast with me at Pax River, and when I got out in 79, they were all so broken hearted that they ALL decided to get out when I did. HAH! (where's that darn icon with the poop and the tall boots when you need it

Comment

It was my honor Bill. Thank you for the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by JCP
                  It was my honor Bill. Thank you for the kind words.
                  Likewise JC. Give my regards to your Mom and if you are around Saturday morning, I will be bringing a few more items out for my Dad's cabinet before I head back to GEG. Thanks again for everything.
                  Bill
                  P.S. I will talk to Danielle about volunteering out at the Museum and learn how to work on the airplanes out there. I think we tweaked her interest.

Comment

FYI.. Bill really does have some beautiful girls in his family!

Call me Bill... I have a story to share with you.

Comment

Bill -- Congratulations on your flight, and I cannot think of a better place for your Dad's memorabilia than The Warhawk Museum. Great folks there, and a fine museum.

JCP -- Thanks to you and your family and volunteers for another fine weekend of flights and presentations. I really enjoyed and learned from the Doolittle Raiders and Jonna Doolittle, as well as current B-25 guru Carl Scholl, who I had never really met before.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                        Bill -- Congratulations on your flight, and I cannot think of a better place for your Dad's memorabilia than The Warhawk Museum. Great folks there, and a fine museum.

JCP -- Thanks to you and your family and volunteers for another fine weekend of flights and presentations. I really enjoyed and learned from the Doolittle Raiders and Jonna Doolittle, as well as current B-25 guru Carl Scholl, who I had never really met before.

Neal
                        Why thanks Neal. It was awesome. JC even said I flew a pretty decent line for a newbie And in case anyone was interested, JC did two barrel rolls and kept the ball and needle in perfect position. And you are right about the museum. Can't wait to see what Lou comes up with.
                        Bill

Comment

Great photos!
                          Now here are mine :P
                          Flickr page

Flickr page

Flickr page

The rest of my photos are here.

See ya next year!

Comment

Good to see you here Tony (and to see I was not the only one struggling with the reflections in the T-28 canopy). Great airplane, though.

And those guys do know how to fly formation! Every flight was a pleasure to watch.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                              Good to see you here Tony (and to see I was not the only one struggling with the reflections in the T-28 canopy). Great airplane, though.

And those guys do know how to fly formation! Every flight was a pleasure to watch.

Neal
                              So Neal,
                              How DO you deal with reflections in the canopy? Change angles? I noticed the reflections in a lot of the pictures my Dad took when he was flying the B-47. I guess it's one of the devils in the details.

Comment

Working...
                              X