old pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old pics

Here's a couple of more old shots plus my favorite Human Fly picture that I took at Mojave. Thanks for sharing your cool photo Randy. One photo is of Cliff Cummins sitting in Miss Candace. At first glance it looks like he's giving someone the one finger salute.

Re: old pics

Did they ever figure out who the human fly was?? Just curious.....was this approved by the FAA? Who were the pilots? Who thought it up? Was he up there all the time, or was a door fashioned that allowed him to climb up during flight? Did they do this more then once? Sorry for all the quesitons......but just curious about it.

Comment

I saw that pic and immediately Clay Lacy's name came to mind.....it was the sort of thing that he would do......
      the other Wayne................

Comment

Originally posted by Outer6
        One photo is of Cliff Cummins sitting in Miss Candace. At first glance it looks like he's giving someone the one finger salute.

I think what he's actually doing is announcing his race strategy to Dave Zeuschel, telling him that he's only going to run 'one' lap before he blows up the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
          Did they ever figure out who the human fly was?? Just curious.....was this approved by the FAA? Who were the pilots? Who thought it up? Was he up there all the time, or was a door fashioned that allowed him to climb up during flight? Did they do this more then once? Sorry for all the quesitons......but just curious about it.

The Fly was a real life stuntman by the name of Rick Rojatt. The Human Fly was actually a Marvel Comic Book character--about a stuntman who crashed and broke every bone in his body. During the surgery to save him, 'something' happened and he returned with superhuman abilities. But unlike Superman, Spiderman, and the other comic characters, the Fly was just a regular guy. Rick took on that persona and did 'daredevil' stunts--including jumping 26 buses with a 'rocket-powered' motorcycle, and flying on top of the derelict JAL DC-8 that Clay Lacy flew.

I think he only did the DC-8 thing a total of three times in public. Twice at Mojave in 1976, and once for a television special. He was strapped to a post mounted on the top of the fuselage. He was there for the duration once he was strapped down.

Comment

How many hours does Clay Lacy have? gotta be a ton.

Jarrod

Comment

that conquest shot is friggin awesome

Comment

Working...
              X