New toy questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toy questions

I just had my 45th birthday last friday, and my girlfriend gave me a Sony 100 DSLR with a 18-200 lens. There's a lot of reading and learning for a point and shoot guy. My questions are >>

1) Which media is best? Compact Flash or Memory stick pro duo? And what size is good? The salesman told my girlfriend that the 1GB was the way to go in case the card went bad, so you only lost some pictures not all.

2) What settings do I use to attain prop blur?

3) When taking pictures of flying aircraft do you usually set it to take multiples so that you can pick the best one?

I look forward to hearing from all you great photographer and maybe an alien or two.

Thanks in Advance,

Dave
    Dave

Re: New toy questions

Nice GF!!

My personal preference would be to use CF solid state (not microdrives) and anything from 1gb to 8gb is fine IMHO... chance of card going teeets is always there but, having all those cards (it's a 10+mp camera and is going to shoot large files, especially if you shoot RAW <recommend>)

Prop blur depends on the prop speed... General rule of thumb would be to never shoot beyond 1/320 but... Sometimes the IF1's can be shot even faster and still get some blur. Try your hand at it, check for clarity, it's really easy to blur a shot if you're slow on the shutter speed..

I've lost WAY more shots than I'd like to admit trying for that VAlien look!

Have fun!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, Thanks for the info. I was plyaing with different settings yesterday but for pictures indoors. I may have to head to the local airport before reno and try out different settings.

Thanks again,

Dave
      Dave

Comment

Ok, Now that I have shot some pic's at Santa Rosa with my new Sony alpha 100. I need to know what to do with them? Before I got the camera everything was shot in jpeg. Now between information from the camera guru's here on on WAP it was said that RAW was the way to go, so I did.

Do I have some post processing to do?

Why is RAW better than jpeg?

and lastly, once i figure out all the above and am ready to post some pic's, how do I put a name or copyright on it? Thanks for all your help.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

From my limited experience:

Sony must have a software that will convert the RAW images. I know Canon does (because I use it). One would think that if they sold a camera with certain features that they would have software to use it!

There are a number of ways to do copyrights. There is an official service that one can pay for which embeds it in the picture and registers it (I think). Then, there is just creating a copyright image oneself and adding it to the pictures. Some photo editing software programs will allow users to add one. The easiest and cheapest way is to create an "image" of your copyright and just add it to the picture...

Comment

Working...
          X