• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE BEAR"S LAIR

details to come?
    Attached Files

Re: THE BEAR"S LAIR

Shawn -- when and where was that taken? Had to be pre-1988 with the old cowling... I think quite a bit pre...

Neal

Comment

should get the info form my dad

Comment

Wasn't that photo printed on the front page of Pravda to try to get back at us after we got the Mig 25 that defected to Japan?

Comment

Looks like Van Nuys to me.....

Comment

nope

Comment

Shawn,

Thanks for posting all these old images. They are truly fantastic.

Imagine if no one were ever allowed to publish photos...
              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
                Imagine if no one were ever allowed to publish photos...
                Annd your point is??

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

its not VanNyes but somewere in California Shawn

Comment

Sometimes I should disqualify myself, But, With Chief Robbie Robinson having his arm deep into the wing root and Grant Milford being on the otherside, the venting in the roof that wasn't in the hangar at Inyokern, The Obvious 1974 to 1975 configuration of the airplane, I would say that this picture was in the Hangar at Tracy, California. During the Bearcat's stay there after Bill Hickle was in the accident in the jeep that almost killed him. Just my .05 on that picture.
                    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                      Sometimes I should disqualify myself, But, With Chief Robbie Robinson having his arm deep into the wing root and Grant Milford being on the otherside, the venting in the roof that wasn't in the hangar at Inyokern, The Obvious 1974 to 1975 configuration of the airplane, I would say that this picture was in the Hangar at Tracy, California. During the Bearcat's stay there after Bill Hickle was in the accident in the jeep that almost killed him. Just my .05 on that picture.
                      Show off....

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                        It's like he knows people.
                        Dash,
                        These are old pictures, I used to know people, now I'm just a railbird second class. Besides I expect Shawn to tell me any minute now that it was taken in the winter of 1975 after the Reno race. and that if I had taken a better look at the spinner and the fact that it wasn't grayish I would have notiuced that it was a Modified "H" model spinner that first was put on the plane for the 1974 season. The spinner had cracks arond the blade holes so Howie Keefe personally threw it in the trash, We of Bearcat land not being too proud and not having fifteen hundred dollars for a new F-82 spinner at the time jumped into the dumpster before it could get hot from the first rising sun. The next trick was to get the cracks fixed by putting doublers on the outside of the spinner. Then it was painted sometime during the week at Reno. But I digress, That was all in the used to be, not in the now. BTW, a couple of weeks after Howie personally threw the spinner away, he walked up to Lyle and told Lyle to give him five hundred bucks for the spinner or take it off the plane. Lyle's Crew Chief responded the dumpster didn't give you five hundred bucks but, Lyle paid Howie.
                        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                          Honestly, John...

I love your stories - you and Speedy and Baby Goss (and Shaun and the rest of the gang) can entertain me with "Tales of Reno's Gone By" any time!

I'm new to the game and got into aviation through "history" (I volunteered to help someone create his museum - before I even learned to fly). My first year @ 4SD was 1999 - and I was a graduate of PRS Class of 2003.

Keep the tales coming - I'll put on another pot of coffee.

Don't lump me in with THAT bunch of losers......

Just kidding.

Comment

Dasher, I just have to ask, what each character means????

See you in Reno,

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

.....aren't there enough "characters" around here now ?
                              Mayday51
                              Jim Gallagher

Comment

Working...
                              X