No announcement yet.

Unlimited Boats to go back to pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited Boats to go back to pistons?

I was watching part of the Junkyard show on discovery (did not see the whole thing), where they were talking about unlimited hydroplane racing and how it stared with junkyard engines from WWII planes and has progressed to junkyard (jet) engines from Chinook helicopters.

They mentioned that the helicopter engines are now becoming scarce, so they need to move on. They are considering going back to some sort of piston engine because the fans like them more (!!).

Anyway, thought there might be some connection with air racing since everyone is always on the lookout for powerful piston engines.

A little strange though, they wouldn't really be "unlimiteds" then. Then of course they could just be more matched up with air racing in being unlimited "piston".

Since there seems to be a lot of boat stuff on here (I am guessing there witll be a lot less in September), anyone here about this?

Re: Unlimited Boats to go back to pistons?

let's hope they don't use allison's, merlin's and griffons.

Comment

I think the cost of WWII V-12s would be way out of reach for the teams these days. Not to mention most guys who have alot of them won't seel them to boat or tractor guys. I would like to see it be unlimited piston so they could run multiple V8s, or maybe even V-12s. Can you imagine a boat with two turbo Falconer V-12s in it? Hell just two aluminum big blocks turbo'd or blown would be SWEET.

Comment

I can't imagine running out of turbines, but then again I guess they just ruin the older surplus models. Newer turbines are too costly, no?

I saw the same show. I can only assume they were speaking of being forced to switch to modern automotive V-8s and not going back to WWII V-12s, but the program wasn't specific. It was the lack of big V-12 that made them jump to turbines inthe forst place!

Dunno if multiple (ie Falconer) V-12s would be any better in a boat than a pair of big-displacement 600+ cube V-8s. Power comes from the displacement, not from the number of cylinders. The V-12 fits better in an aircraft though because they tend to be longer and narrower than a V-8 of equal dispacement, ideal for a skinny fuselage.

I can just see it now. Hydros with multiple engine set-ups that make them look like pulling tractors on pontoons!

Comment

I was just thinking of the Falconer(s) for the cool factor. If I had unlimited money for cool toys I would build an all wood, slightly scaled down front motor V-12 powered old school hydro.

Comment

Personally, I think piston engined unlimited hydros would be awesome! Graduating to turbines like they did made me lose interest in hydroplane racing, kinda like comparing the unlimited class to the jet class. There is NO comparison! Yeah, the jets are ok, but nothing compares to the sound of the unlimiteds! The sound of the turbines just never did seem quite right...... Motorsports are supposed to be loud and obnoxious, not sound like a hair dryer.......
            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Remember Miss Chrysler Crew... 2 blown hemis..... with Mira Slovak in the drivers seat (for awhile...)

the other Wayne................

Comment

Hello all a viper V 12 is still a workable Idea ford V 10 realy like to see a caddy V16 poke its nose out in the mix,Besides all that Miss bud is all about cubic money,my self I would love to see deisl powered boats off shore boats had real good luck with a set of CATS all hopped up 2000hp each was real fun to watch

Comment

Originally posted by h34race
                  Hello all a viper V 12 is still

Viper V-12....scince when?
                  Mayday51
                  Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51
                    Viper V-12....scince when?
                    Since never, always been a V-10, and it has always sounded like a loud UPS truck..... but a fast one.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                      I think the cost of WWII V-12s would be way out of reach for the teams these days. Not to mention most guys who have alot of them won't seel them to boat or tractor guys. I would like to see it be unlimited piston so they could run multiple V8s, or maybe even V-12s. Can you imagine a boat with two turbo Falconer V-12s in it? Hell just two aluminum big blocks turbo'd or blown would be SWEET.

Driver Chip Hanauer and I looked into the Falconer option about 10 years ago. At the time, there just wasn't enough 'product' out there to support such a move.

With the exception of the U-3 boat back in Indiana, which has the market cornered on turbocharged Allisons, you won't see any boats going to Warbird engines again. Honestly, there are more than enough parts for the Lycoming T-55 to supply the fleet for several more years.

In the meantime, there are a couple of race boat classes that are slowly being developed as a replacement for the turbines. The problem is, even with the automotive engines out there, the boats still don't have the speed versus hull size issues ironed out. Its just gonna take time.

Comment

Yes my bad your write V10 not 12 got to learn to count some day and stop sleep typeing sorry all and yeha I have to agree about the UPS truck thing

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                          Since never, always been a V-10, and it has always sounded like a loud UPS truck..... but a fast one.
                          Yes, and the side-pipe versions sound even blattier than the rear valence exhaust versions. Its the firing pattern- the V10 fires its cylinders pairwise- two spaced close together, then a gap, then another pair, then a gap, then another pair, etc. Its not "odd firing" like the old GM v6 was, but its definitely different.

AFAIK the Ford Triton v10 works the same way.

Comment

Are mountain motors or i guess tractor motors that are in the 700 - 800 cid class (bow tye rats i guess) relavent as a single or dual motor setups for U class racing?

As per other posts... i as well as others never really got woodies over
                            the "vacuume boats" sucking them selves around a aquatic courses.

BMarsh

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                              Driver Chip Hanauer and I looked into the Falconer option about 10 years ago. At the time, there just wasn't enough 'product' out there to support such a move.

With the exception of the U-3 boat back in Indiana, which has the market cornered on turbocharged Allisons, you won't see any boats going to Warbird engines again. Honestly, there are more than enough parts for the Lycoming T-55 to supply the fleet for several more years.

In the meantime, there are a couple of race boat classes that are slowly being developed as a replacement for the turbines. The problem is, even with the automotive engines out there, the boats still don't have the speed versus hull size issues ironed out. Its just gonna take time.
                              What kind of power do those turbines put out in race trim?

Comment

Working...
                              X