Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Book: "Fate is the Hunter"... (s.O.T.?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Book: "Fate is the Hunter"... (s.O.T.?)

Having been flying since about 15 years old and only now did I read "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K. Gann.

Yes, this is a little off topic, but you know... how else did they refine and improve radial engines (the clear engine of choice for modern air racing) than through airline and military service.

Of my 2 most favorite airplane books in the last few years, this is my favorite.. (huh?)

In no order one should read (as soon as possible):
    * "When Thunder Rolled" by Ed Rasimus
    * "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K. Gann.
    Tom Johnson,
    Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
    www.airpowerinsurance.com

Re: Great Book: "Fate is the Hunter"... (s.O.T.?)

I agree about "Fate is the Hunter", it's one of the best aviation books I've read. Thanks for the tip on the other, I'll get it!

Ken

Comment

If you like that you should read the following:

"To Fly and To Fight" Bud Anderson (Yeager's buddy/wingman)

"Stuka Pilot" Hans Rudel (Incredible)

"Test Pilot" Jimmy Colins

"Yeager" (no side note needed)

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
        Stick and Rudder (should be in everyone's library)

Agree...But the storyline is sure hard to follow.

Comment

...Then you should read "Wings, Women, & War" by Reina Pennington..."Sigh for a Merlin" by Alex Henshaw will test your Skew Gear ratios...D.

Comment

I Could Never Be So Lucky Again, the autobiograpy of Jimmy Doolittle is a must read as well.

Comment

For a somewhat more accessible adventure, try "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck. Just buy a Super Cub and turn back the clock! (WAY back!)
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Do you know of any titles relating to Louise Thaden? She and Blanche Noyes won the '36 "Powderpuff" Bendix, Amelia was 5th...D.

Comment

Put me on the List for "Of BEARS and MOUSES and Men" by John Slack! How's that for crossing Threads!...D.

Comment

Originally posted by David E. Wells
                    Put me on the List for "Of BEARS and MOUSES and Men" by John Slack! How's that for crossing Threads!...D.
                    That would be John "Huxley" Slack!
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

...make that "A Bear New World" and pass the Nitrous bottle...D.

Comment

Wow:
                        Lots of great responses and I expected to get torched for my flaming atrocity of a round engine brag...

* I will look for that other Gann book that was reported as good at "Fate".
                        * Agree totally on the R.A. Hoover book. Please forgive my naive omission.

Additionally, for any REALLY nerdy gearhead: R2800, P&Ws Dependable Masterpiece By Graham White will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about a radial engine. (Radial Engine!)

.,.. did someone say Radial Engine?
                        8+1 = 9 (month of the races)
                        2*9 = 18 (number of cylinders on the most recent Reno Champ)
                        14+15+16 = 45-9 = 36/4 = 9 (sum of the digits of the Friday, Saturday and Sunday 2007 RNCAR, minus 9 for the month of the races equals 36 (amazing, huh?) 36 divided by 4 (the second digit of the Friday race) = 9 (the month of the races) minus 2 (his number of wins by the end of 2007 = 7! 7 is the sum of the digits of Mike Brown's September Fury (2+3+2) .... so, he's got all that going for him...
                        Tom Johnson,
                        Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                        www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Originally posted by tjyak50
                          * I will look for that other Gann book that was reported as good 8+1 = 9 (month of the races)
                          2*9 = 18 (number of cylinders on the most recent Reno Champ)
                          14+15+16 = 45-9 = 36/4 = 9 (sum of the digits of the Friday, Saturday and Sunday 2007 RNCAR, minus 9 for the month of the races equals 36 (amazing, huh?) 36 divided by 4 (the second digit of the Friday race) = 9 (the month of the races) minus 2 (his number of wins by the end of 2007 = 7! 7 is the sum of the digits of Mike Brown's September Fury (2+3+2) .... so, he's got all that going for him...
                          You must have seen the movie "The Number 23" starring Jim Carrey playing a serious role.

Comment

Or, you're HUNG UP on Robert Anton Wilson's fixation on #23 in "Illumatus I, II, & III" , Definitely OFF-TOPIC...D.

Comment

Working...
                            X