The Original Miss Ashley...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Original Miss Ashley...

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, any high-resolution shots of Gary Levitz' original Miss Ashley?

The warbird registry follows the history of all North American Aviation P-51 Mustangs that survived military service.
    SSGFX, The Wonder Artist

9one8.net

Throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Re: The Original Miss Ashley...

I think this is the Original Miss Ashley too my dad took this about 1977?

Shawn i look i might have some were .
    Attached Files

Comment

The "Miss Ashley" I remember, and painted, was Red w/silver trim & no.38, the name was painted on the cowl in Silver the same style as the final "Miss Ashley II", Gary bought the painting...D.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, both of these are the same Mustang. I think it's currently in a museum in Switzerland. When it had the silver paint job, it was used to test the merlin that would go into Tsunami. I think Chuck Hall bellied it in after an engine falure, then it was given the red paint job after the rebuild.

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
          If memory serves me correctly, both of these are the same Mustang. I think it's currently in a museum in Switzerland. When it had the silver paint job, it was used to test the merlin that would go into Tsunami. I think Chuck Hall bellied it in after an engine falure, then it was given the red paint job after the rebuild.

Race 29
          They didn't give it the red paint job until Gary purchased it in 1985, shortly before he went to summer camp.

It raced in 1984 in gray primer while Sandberg still owned it.

Comment

This is definitely not a high resolution pic, but is what I have from 1988 ... scanned pic of low quality.

Comment

Along this thread -- what's the story behind the Ashley name? Seems like it was a family member, but other than that . . .

Also, is there a connection between Ashley furniture and the former Levitz furniture company, or is that just coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by r_willy
                Along this thread -- what's the story behind the Ashley name? Seems like it was a family member, but other than that . . .

Also, is there a connection between Ashley furniture and the former Levitz furniture company, or is that just coincidence?
                Ashley was the daughter that Gary and Shelly had together--his youngest. Gary's other children were from his marriage with Katherine.

There were only two furniture companies that Gary was associated with after the Levitz Corporation was sold in 1972--Pruitt's Home Furnishings, and The Roomstore.

Comment

That's a FINE Photo...If You are looking for Accuracy, there was a Snap-On Logo on the dorsal fin,both sides...D.

Comment

Here's one from the archive

Click here for larger image (1246x833 402Kb)

LOL - Looks like warbird registry "borrowed" my picture. It's all good though... if you post pics on the net they will be eventually posted elsewhere. It's a reality that most of us have learned to come to terms with. Not that I'm really happy with it, it just is what it is. Life's too short to get all butt-hurt about it.
                    There is a slight color varience bewteen what they used on the site and what I just posted... I scanned the photo above from the negative instead from the print. Yields a bit better results, especially when it comes to sharpness & clarity.
                    Mark K....

Comment

here are some more by my and my self enjoy Shawn
                      Attached Files

Comment

Photo Used

Mark,

That they used the photo is sort of understantable, that they cropped it, removing the copyright is downright not right...

I've never refused use of my photos, as long as the website was a public service and my photo credit was intact... Magazines, I demand going $$ rate and photo credit...

Methinks a polite email to website owner is in order...

How many days till the pin is pulled?

Wayner
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                          here are some more by my and my self enjoy Shawn
                          The black and white shot is pretty cool. From 1987, if I remember correctly. "Paul" in this case is The Pope. I believe that is him in the cockpit too. I have a framed 8X10 at home of Gary and The Pope standing next to Miss Ashley either right before or right after this occasion.

Comment

A couple from the same era.

Comment

Re: Photo Used

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                              Mark,

That they used the photo is sort of understantable, that they cropped it, removing the copyright is downright not right...

I've never refused use of my photos, as long as the website was a public service and my photo credit was intact... Magazines, I demand going $$ rate and photo credit...

Methinks a polite email to website owner is in order...

How many days till the pin is pulled?

Wayner
                              I understand and agree Wayne... when I get time I'll email the site owner and ask.

As far as the pin being pulled - I actually have already made my last transmission to an aircraft as an air traffic controller a few days ago. Retirement from that job is something that makes me very happy . Concentrating on fixing up the house to sell now (painting, general fix up crap, ect. - Home Depot is my friend ) and packing up the last bit of stuff. Should be moving back home to OKC in mid September or thereabouts.
                              Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                              X