• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Cave News?

Is the Bear's hibernation almost over? Reno's only six weeks away! Peas

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Re: Bear Cave News?

My hat is off to Mr. Lewis and the entire bear crew those guys have been hard at it everyday and have made alot of progress in these past weeks/month.
    Chris Moldenhauer

Comment

Details!?!? The link above is an old photo from 2004...
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
        Details!?!?
        Haven't been down since last month but from what I hear, things are coming along nicely..

I don't think a lot of "details" are going to be released until riiiigggghhhht before Reno... or maybe, we'll have to find out once we get there!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but with the amount of various forms of racing that I have done, I like to have things all set to go about 6 weeks before hand so IF I should find something that needs to be replaced (such as internal engine parts ect.) I have time to get it fixed and retested. If the Bear hasn't flown yet, I'd be starting to get worried about now. They did a huge amount of work and I know I'd like to have everything dialed in the week before the race.

just my $.02

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR
            I don't know about you guys, but with the amount of various forms of racing that I have done, I like to have things all set to go about 6 weeks before hand so IF I should find something that needs to be replaced (such as internal engine parts ect.) I have time to get it fixed and retested. If the Bear hasn't flown yet, I'd be starting to get worried about now. They did a huge amount of work and I know I'd like to have everything dialed in the week before the race.

just my $.02

Will
            Will,
            I would say that with 6 weeks to go, there is still a pretty good window for the team to test. Guess we'll see. (I'll see your ante and raise you .02 )
            ARA
            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Isn't it kind of unsafe to have an unfinished race plane five weeks before Reno?

I agree more with the Wildfire approach....slow and steady.....

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                Isn't it kind of unsafe to have an unfinished race plane five weeks before Reno?

I agree more with the Wildfire approach....slow and steady.....
                MISTER HASKIN! I didn't see you raise your hand! I want to you to go to the chalkboard and write 100 times......... um.........what were we talking about? Maybe you ought to just email me.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                  MISTER HASKIN! I didn't see you raise your hand! I want to you to go to the chalkboard and write 100 times......... um.........what were we talking about? Maybe you ought to just email me.

You're not the boss of me.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    You're not the boss of me.
                    uh hu uh......... Your mom told me I was too.......

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                      With as major of a teardown and alteration as they are performing I'd think this would be a 40 hour fly-off. I'm not saying it can't be done by any stretch. I've done it before in a week's time, but if there are any setbacks which there undoubtedly will be, depending on how severe it could really hurt the teams timeline. Looking forward to see what the new team will bring come Sept.

There is no "40 hour fly-off" requirement.

speeddemon. "Isn't it kind of unsafe to have an unfinished race plane five weeks before Reno?

I agree more with the Wildfire approach....slow and steady....."

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

Comment

I was/am sort of in the same boat as the Bear. My former street/race car was hit last Sept, was in the shop for the better part of 6 months. I got the car back together and running correctly for a whole 12 hrs before my first race of the season this year. The car drove differently, and broke shortly after the first race (a whole 54 seconds, it was an auto cross.) Needless to say it went back into the garage where it has been since the middle of May. I might get it back together by the end of Sept.
                        With the full teardown of the the Bear, I wouldn't want to be taking it out to qualify or race with any less than 40 hrs on it. You never know what will rattle loose, leak and or just be a little different than before. Who knows how its going to fly. I bet they removed a fair amount of weight in paint or just general filth that had found its way into the plane due to its regular oil bath every time the engine was run for any amount of time. I have a feeling it won't be like putting on a current pair of shoes, more like a new pair. Nice but a little different. I'd rather see them not run than hear that yet another pilot and plane have been lost this year. (Recent weeks have kinda bummed me out with all the posts of crashes.)

That said, I'd really like to see the Bear kick some serious a$$ as it has in the past. I've been a Bear fan since it was in the Orange and white paint job of the late '80s. I think it will be an interesting race this year if they get it all together. I don't think Sept. Fury can hang, but I'd really like to see a good race. The mustangs are a toss up as to who pops and who rocks.

Only time will tell.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR
                          With the full teardown of the the Bear, I wouldn't want to be taking it out to qualify or race with any less than 40 hrs on it. You never know what will rattle loose, leak and or just be a little different than before. Who knows how its going to fly. (Recent weeks have kinda bummed me out with all the posts of crashes.)
                          Only time will tell.
                          Will
                          One thing the team has in their favor is a pilot in the person of John Penney who is intimately familiar with the Bear in 3 or 4 blade trim. I am positive he will pick out the subtle and major differences in a much shorter period of time than you may think. It has been ugly recently in the warbird world, but under much different circumstances. I believe the team as a whole will weigh all of the risks and make the right choice when the time comes. We all want to see the big showdown, and if we and the rest of the fans out there are really lucky, it'll happen.
                          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                            One thing the team has in their favor is a pilot in the person of John Penney who is intimately familiar with the Bear in 3 or 4 blade trim. I am positive he will pick out the subtle and major differences in a much shorter period of time than you may think. It has been ugly recently in the warbird world, but under much different circumstances. I believe the team as a whole will weigh all of the risks and make the right choice when the time comes. We all want to see the big showdown, and if we and the rest of the fans out there are really lucky, it'll happen.
                            Bill
                            Gotta agree with the choice of pilot. can't think of anyone (including Mr. Shelton) who is as intimarely familiar with the handling characteristics of that aircraft. If somethings off, he'll be the best perosn to spot it.

Comment

Skip coulda been pretty good!

Comment

Working...
                              X