Blue Skies - Gerry Beck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skies - Gerry Beck

My keyboard remembers when I type something into a form, when I type "Blue Skies" it gives me a list of those I've written the same thing about over the past months and years. I'm always deeply saddened when I have to bring these terrible messages here.

It's happened again.

Today at the annual EAA Air Venture, shortly after the "Air Race" demonstration, during recovery of the aircraft which participated in the demo. (PRIVISO.. WHAT FOLLOWS IS WHAT WE KNOW AS OF THIS WRITING - FURTHER SPECULATION IS DISCOURAGED! PLEASE WAIT FOR NTSB FAA EAA TO RELEASE THEIR FINDINGS!)

Robert Odegaard's son, Casey Odegaard was landing in the P-51 currently known as "Stang", behind him, Gerry Beck was landing in the P-51 A "recreation" his company recently finished.

Beck overtook Odegaard and collided with the rear portion of the Odegaard P-51. Beck subsequently flipped and landed inverted to the side of the runway. Gerry Beck, a driving force in the warbird movement, lost his life in the crash.

Beck and Odegaard were deeply involved with the upcoming movie "Thunder Over Reno" in which both had flying and acting roles. The Beck and Odegaard family ties are very close and our prayers and sympathy go out to both of these tight knit groups of North Dakota residents.

The loss of Gerry Beck will affect many people in many ways. He was an open, talented, friendly and very enthusiastic man.

He was loved by many and will be missed by all who knew him.

Blue Skies Gerry Beck

Below: Gerry sits with the "Crew" of Precious Metal II, which his airplane depicted during the filming of the upcoming movie "Thunder Over Reno"

"Stang" and "Precious Metal II" in happier times flying in a photo/filming session during the last shooting days of the upcoming movie "Thunder Over Reno"
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Blue Skies - Gerry Beck

Please... I've been both praised and critisized for closing this board for a time while I and others collected our thoughts.

I will say, I closed it due to a particularly distasteful link to a video where witnesses were telling their story. In the background, we had the accident airplanes.. The witness could not tell his story without smiling. This is, of course, a nervous reaction, however..

Due to the sensitive nature of this terrible event. I would ask all of you. Please, do not post links to further details about it. Particularly, no video links, no links to crash photos. I prefer to remember both Gerry and the wonderful A model P-51 as they were the last time I saw them together.

Thank you for understanding,

Blue skies, smooth sailing and forever full tanks and magazines Gerry Beck, we will miss you.

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well said Wayne.

My sympathies to the Beck and Odegaard families.

CAVU forever...
      Mark Johnson
      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Prayers to both the families & "Blue Skies" & "Tailwinds" forever to Gerry Beck.Well said Wayne.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Blue Skies

Comment

Our deepest sympathies are with BOTH families involved in this tragedy.
            Betty Sherman
            National Air racing Group

Comment

Blue skies and Prayers

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Prayers are happening!
                Tony

Comment

I will always remember Gerry with his smiling face and can do attitute. It was an honor to work with him on the Thunder Over Reno set. God Bless and Blue Skies!!

Comment

Originally posted by TOR_Film_Guy
                    I will always remember Gerry with his smiling face and can do attitute. It was an honor to work with him on the Thunder Over Reno set. God Bless and Blue Skies!!
                    It's that "can-do" attitude prevalent within the "Dakota Gang" that not only found, restored and flies the Super Corsair, built a P-51A, rebuilt Merlin's Magic in record time.. as well as additional projects far too numerous to list, they also produced a fantastic aviation movie that will cause all of this to live on far beyond our mortal lives..

Someone said "Let's make a movie".. none of them said "we can't do that" they just did it...

I don't think I've ever seen such a diverse group of people act more as a family, God, dare I say even more than a family, than these wonderful folks!

They are all very special people and the pain I and others feel today is not for ourselves, it is for those who truly lost a part of themselves yesterday.

I pray that Gerry's legacy can live on and his work can continue as his dreams are realizied by those who follow in his very large footprints.

Wayne Sagar
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It has taken me some time to write this.

I spoke with Brady Odegaard today as well as Mitch Carley.

While everyone is down, the Fargo folks are doing what they can to get along.

Casey is OK and it seems Dazzling Donna (Stang) will be repairable, but that is really of little concern for some time to come.

A service is being held at the Fargo Air Museum on Tuesday at 6:30. Sadly I cannot make it.

I do not know of an official way to say thanks but, I'm making a donation to the FAM in Gerry's name. If I hear of something else I'll pass it along.

I wanted to share a story(s) about Gerry:

First our little inside joke was that he was the "real" Gerry Beck and I was the "fake" or "faux" Jerry Beck... But he always would call me the "real" one when I would (finally) do my job right on the set. We always laughed.

Second: I was lucky enough to go to Whapeton and visit his facility. It was like going into the secret areas of the Smithsonian. Really cool stuff just waiting to be used, or fixed. Gerry's response to my awe-filled gushings about his stuff was: "Well, I've sure got plenty!".

We had woefully not enough of you Gerry Beck.

I will miss you dearly, and hope the best to your family.

Blue Skies.
                      Jerry Beck II
                      Director of Photography
                      1st. Asst. Director
                      Thunder Over Reno

Comment

All I can say at this point in time, is blue skies and vapor trails forever to Gerry Beck, and many condolences to his family and all his friends and comrades. To everyone else, always remember the good time with a fond heart. I had read of Gerry's amazing skills in magazines and publications here in NZ and truly admired what he accomplished. May the skies be forever blue and smooth.
                        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

It is the lowest low in a very sad week in aviation....Blue Skies, Gerry!
                          the other Wayne................

Comment

To the family of Gerry Beck, to the air enthusiast community, to the Fargo Air Museum, to my fellow cast and crew of TOR -

While not able to attend tomorrow's tribute to Gerry Beck in Fargo, I want to "say" a few words to you all.

Separation is painfull, but here is what I believe

I believe in the eternity of Gerry, and this separation is only temporary.

I believe that Gerry will let you know of his well-being.

I believe there is great love for you - I believe that the strong emotions you now feel, the desire for him to know how much you love him - he knows.

I believe the pain will subside - but not the memories - that vibrance, life, love, that all of us were blessed to know in some degree, that energy will continue to be a part of us all.

We of Thunder Over Reno will have a tree planted in Gerry's Honor - to grow and thrive - to be the connection though it's roots to us still here, and through it's branches to direct us all to that eternal blue sky.

Peace, Love, Blessings,

Debra Lynn Hull
                            actress/producer
                            Thunder Over Reno

Comment

Cheers Gerry and all the best, blue skies.... I will miss you at the gathering this year and will treasure meeting you in the UK earlier this year.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X