Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice day for quals?

Hey Folks,

The wife and i are starting our trek to Reno on Thursday 6 Sept and will be in Paradise (Ca.) until Tuesday 11 Sept.

Last year we arrived at Stead on Tuesday and caught some of the qualifying but didnt get to see Dreadnought, Sept. Fury or some of the other top racers. Paradise is only three hours from Stead and i want to catch a day of quals before our actual stay begins.

What would be a "choice" day for the action between the 6th and the 11th?

I know this will be purely tentative but maybe you guys seen some action in previous years.

Thanks in advance

Anthony
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Re: Choice day for quals?

Well, The advantages to the competitors in mind are variable. If the weather is going to be cold on Monday and the weather service says it will be warmer on Tuesday, then Tuesday can become a target date for a fast qual speed. If the weather has shown a tendency to be windy in the afternoon then morning is better, etc.,

So I would think if you were going to throw darts and only going to go one day then you would watch the weather if the weather is consistent or predicted to be consistent then Monday is probably best. A really good speed on Monday gives a top team two extra days of "free" time to inspect, correct, or improve their speed. You might see some blazing example of thrashing on the last day of qualifications as a team that may be fast but has had problems tries to "make the show". All in all, your best bet if you want to see good qualifying is to be there for the whole thing.

Evaluate the risk, give your wife the AmEx card or a box of cash, tell her to bring her sister or best friend and hunker for the whole show. Friends of mine that came up over the years that wanted to know when the best day was going be to watch qualifying can all tell you the same thing, "wow, you know what we missed yesterday and today the weather sucks!" And I had the advantage of knowing what Lyle and Greg Shaw were thinking. Good luck, one day is a crap shoot.
    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
      Well, The advantages to the competitors in mind are variable. If the weather is going to be cold on Monday and the weather service says it will be warmer on Tuesday, then Tuesday can become a target date for a fast qual speed. If the weather has shown a tendency to be windy in the afternoon then morning is better, etc.,

So I would think if you were going to throw darts and only going to go one day then you would watch the weather if the weather is consistent or predicted to be consistent then Monday is probably best. A really good speed on Monday gives a top team two extra days of "free" time to inspect, correct, or improve their speed. You might see some blazing example of thrashing on the last day of qualifications as a team that may be fast but has had problems tries to "make the show". All in all, your best bet if you want to see good qualifying is to be there for the whole thing.

Evaluate the risk, give your wife the AmEx card or a box of cash, tell her to bring her sister or best friend and hunker for the whole show. Friends of mine that came up over the years that wanted to know when the best day was going be to watch qualifying can all tell you the same thing, "wow, you know what we missed yesterday and today the weather sucks!" And I had the advantage of knowing what Lyle and Greg Shaw were thinking. Good luck, one day is a crap shoot.
      Thanks John,

We're going to be there from Tuesday 11th thru Monday 17th, i'm looking to get an extra day in before "WE" go as i've never been to the races earlier than the Tuesday before race week begins!
      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by sierra fox
        Thanks John,

We're going to be there from Tuesday 11th thru Monday 17th, i'm looking to get an extra day in before "WE" go as i've never been to the races earlier than the Tuesday before race week begins!
        Your welcome, But "race week" starts on the Friday before the 11th, which is the 7th, and ends after the coma subsides sometime later in the month.
        John Slack

Comment

Anthony, John is, as usual, correct. I've been showing up on Sunday (It's FREE til Wed) for years and it seems that most crews want to un-pack, QUALIFY as soon as possible, then "Tweak", or Improve their Times until the Racing begins on Thursday (or, for some, Wed). There's a Qualifying board in the back of the IF1/ Biplane Hangar (behind the Biplanes) where you can find out what the story is...D.

Comment

Originally posted by David E. Wells
            Anthony, John is, as usual, correct. I've been showing up on Sunday (It's FREE til Wed) for years and it seems that most crews want to un-pack, QUALIFY as soon as possible, then "Tweak", or Improve their Times until the Racing begins on Thursday (or, for some, Wed). There's a Qualifying board in the back of the IF1/ Biplane Hangar (behind the Biplanes) where you can find out what the story is...D.
            Very Good David, Thanks

Comment

Saturday and Sunday are free. Monday and Tuesday are free to sit in the stands, they charge you to go into the pits now. As I remember it was $5 Mon. and $7 Tues. Well worth it, but caught me off guard last year. Monday has always seemed the best for me, more flying!
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Anthony, I just got my NAG(that's National Air-Rracing Group) newsletter yesterday,all the prices, schedules,and entries are published. I'm sure you would enjoy the information they periodically publish for only $15 a year, it's a Great deal and they are Great People. I Don't have the address in front of me now, but I'm sure someone on the board can post it...D.

Comment

Look on Page 2 of the NAG Rag and you will see my name and addres, as well as my e-mail address for joining info.
                  Not to mention there is also a note from me relating to the price of the linepass that NAG members pay a discount for.
                  Betty Sherman, Treasurer
                  National Air racing Group

Comment

Working...
                  X