B-17G 42-31795 Pysonya perhaps the only pics of her and crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-17G 42-31795 Pysonya perhaps the only pics of her and crew

I was fortunate to do a plumbing job for a man in Roseville calif who had a pic of this plane and its crew on his wall, His father was the captain and flew it for 55 missions and was rotated out, the next crew to fly her was shot down and all became POW's. Below is about all I could find on her and I think this may be the only pic of her and the crew. Just thought I would share this with you all. Feel free to add to this as any info will be emailed to my customer. His father never really talked about his war duties he said. Just had this pic and a pic of his crew on his office wall.

ser# 231795 (463rd BG, 774th BS) lost Jul 13, 1944. MACR 6858

42-31795/Pysonya
    (BO) 463/774/?? 14/07/1944 Abgeschossen durch Flak beim Einsatz nach Budapest, Ungarn. 10 POW
    Shot down by flak on mission to Budapest, Hungary. 10 POW

I found the following mission logs from the 463 bomber group, it says they lost one plane on 7-14-44 over the Budapest marshalling grounds. That has to be the Pysonya
    13 Jul Verona, Italy Marshalling Yards 24-0, good results
    14 Jul Budapest, Hungary Marshalling Yards 25-1, good results
    Last edited by Bob; 07-23-2007, 09:44 PM. Reason: really bad spelling

Re: B-17G 42-31795 Pysonya perhaps the only pics of her and crew

Awsome! Thanks I love those old crew shots.
    Tony

Comment

Researching this stuff can be fun and with the internet, a lot easier than it used to be. Good luck!
      I recently started collecting info on my great uncle who flew B-25's with the 310 BG in Italy, 35 missions. He had given me a photo or two of his plane years ago and a folder full of stuff before he died. Never talked a bunch. During his last year in a retirement home he talked a great deal to a male nurse he became friends with. This amazing person realized what was happening and either recorded or wrote most of their conversations. My uncle entrusted him with his logs, personal and mission diaries when he passed. We have them now and they are being transcribed so we can piece together his history, that of a man who volunteered after the Doolittle raid and flew bombers, then airliners until the early 80's!
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Bob,
        Thanks for this thread. I believe there are thousand and thousands of stories like yours, but sadly most will go untold and unrecorded.
        The "Greatest Generation" was a stubborn (thinking about my Dad, here) and stoic bunch and we owe them so much gratitude.
        Chris

Comment

I found this award that the 463rd BG recieved, man did they get shot up on this mnission. 7 of 20 planes lost.

The group received two Distinguished Unit Citations (now called the Presidential Unit Citation) for its role in World War II. The first citation was awarded after the group bombed oil refineries at Ploesti, Romania, on May 18, 1944. The Citation was presented to the Unit on November 7, 1944 in the name of the President of the United States, by order of the Secretary of War and General George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff.
          The Citation reads in part:

"The 463d Bombardment Group is cited for outstanding performance of duty in armed conflict with the enemy. Assigned the mission to attack and destroy the Romano Americano Oil Refinery, Ploesti, Romania, in an effort to reduce the total Axis oil production to a critical point in her military requirements. The ground crews worked enthusiastically and with grim determination to have their aircraft at the peak of mechanical perfection to insure the success of this mission despite the damages and losses suffered by their group through a sustained period of operations. On 18 May 1944, thirty-five B-17 type aircraft, heavily loaded with maximum tonnage, were airborne, and despite adverse weather conditions rallied with the wing formation and set course for their destination. Under continued adverse weather conditions encountered enroute, the visibility became so limited, with dense cloud layers reaching to 30,000 foot elevation, that all other units returned to base. Undaunted by the seemingly overwhelming odds, the 463d Bombardment Group continued on alone through the dense cloud coverage, which rendered compact formation flying extremely hazardous. Despite intense, heavy, and accurate enemy anti-aircraft fire encountered over the target, the gallant crews, displaying outstanding courage, professional skill, and determination, though many of their airplanes were damaged severely, maintained their tight formation and brought their ships through the enemy defenses for a highly successful bombing run, inflicting grave damage to vital enemy installations and supplies. Rallying off the target after the bombing run and while unprotected by friendly fighters, the group was savagely attacked by approximately 100 highly aggressive enemy fighters. In the ensuing fierce engagement, while battling their way through the heavy enemy opposition, the group lost 7 bombers; however, in the gallant defense of the formation, the gunners accounted for 28 enemy aircraft destroyed, 30 probably destroyed, and 2 damaged. With the arrival of friendly fighters, the remaining bombers proceeded for a safe landing without further damage. By the extraordinary heroism, airmanship, and grim determination of the combat crews, together with the highly technical skill and intense devotion to duty of the ground personnel, the 463d Bombardment Group has upheld the highest traditions of the military service, thereby reflecting great credit on themselves and the armed forces of the United States."

Comment

Any chance you could get it off the wall and get a high quality scan? I just played around with this for about five minutes. I'd be happy to do a retouching job aon a highe resolution file if you want.

Comment

Any chance you could get it off the wall and get a high quality scan? I just played around with this for about five minutes. I'd be happy to do a retouching job aon a highe resolution file if you want.

Comment

Fenceliner,
                That would be awsome, and THANK YOU If your going to be at reno I will buy ya a beer

Comment

Gotta love that name, PYSONYA!
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Yep its the name that got me interested in this project, one of the best names I have seen on a bomber. Kind of funny that other planes get re-created but this jem remains buried in history with such a cool ass name.

Comment

Great thread guys. I shared this with a guy at work who is researching the planes his Dad worked on during the war. His Dad worked P-51s and P-38s in England. Sadly, his Dad has passed on, but he's found some pics and info and want to piece more together. Please share any other websites that assist in researching - it will be appreciated and passed along. I'll try and have him post some info up - or I'll do it for him.

Again, Thanks.
                      Mike S
                      www.indyairshow.com
                      www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Here's one that my dad Ray Raney flew. He's second from the left, back row in the top picture.
                        Note the tree between the #2 engine and the fuselage in the other pics.

Andrew Raney

Comment

Attn: Wayne -- B-17F 42-5951 "O Pissonya"

I think Wayne might be able to add some photos for another B-17 with a similar name. This one was 42-5951, a B-17F-35-VE named "O Pissonya" delivered new to Long Beach on 5/30/43. It was assigned to the 301st BG/419th BS at Oudna on 8/12/43.There is some conflicting information regarding this 419th BS assignment. Some sources say it flew with the 353rd BS of the 301st. It transfered to the 341BS/97BG after 17 missions. She crashed at Plovdiv on 6/23/44 and Kingsley was MOH

Wayne, this is the one depicted in the huge painted mural on the side of a building in downtown Klamath Falls, Oregon. Kingsley Field was named after her co-pilot which stayed with the ship so that the others could get out.

Comment

For more information try a website called "Warbird Information Exchange" go to "WIX Hangar" forum and ask away. Many very knowledgable people there who can answer most any question regarding WWII aviation, or at least send you in in the right direction...

Comment

Many thanks!
                              Mike S
                              www.indyairshow.com
                              www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X