Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSP to SMF then drive to Reno - beautiful !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP to SMF then drive to Reno - beautiful !

If you're coming to the air races from Minnesota you already know that NWA no longer flies direct to Reno, nor do any other airlines. Bummer - and Reno is an "International" air port! You’d think somebody would at least put on a special, non-stop flight that week.

There are plenty of 1-stops but since this is air race times they're gouging us race fans. The last 2 years, I've been flying non-stop to Sacramento - it's about $90 cheaper and NWA just dropped their prices. Not only that, I’ve found that car rentals are cheaper at SMF as well. So fly into Sacramento and either drive I-80 (about 2 hours with magnificent views) or better yet drive up Hwy 50 (my favorite drive) and end up in South Lake Tahoe. It takes an hour and a half longer but it’s a great drive. Even at $3 a gallon it's worth the drive. My dad worked at NWA for almost 40 years. We took very little advantage of free air travel but instead enjoyed the drives.

This might sound like a California Chamber of Commerce ad, but if you haven’t driven through northern California – Susanville to Mt Shasta, you’ve missed one of the best drives anywhere. Sure beats driving through Minnesota’s endless miles of corn fields.

Re: MSP to SMF then drive to Reno - beautiful !

I'm sorry to tell sir, that Hwy 50 truly is a beautyful drive, however, this time I believe that you will disappointed. There's been a massive fire at the south end of Tahoe, the most you will see will be a few burned trees and mannyyyyyy homes burned to the ground. Unfortunately, all that forest will never be seen again in our lives. MG
    MG

Comment

Originally posted by racersedge
      I'm sorry to tell sir, that Hwy 50 truly is a beautyful drive, however, this time I believe that you will disappointed. There's been a massive fire at the south end of Tahoe, the most you will see will be a few burned trees and mannyyyyyy homes burned to the ground. Unfortunately, all that forest will never be seen again in our lives. MG

That fire only burned 3100 acres, and its mostly in the myers to south shore corridor, thats only maybe 2 miles. From 50 you cant see any close ups of burned areas nor can you see any burned homes. I was working there before and after the fire. And with the exception of some burned trees off in the distance you wouldnt even know about it. I mean you can see a burned ridge but there are NO burned homes visible.

Comment

US Air - MSP - PHX - RNO
        SWA and many other airlines still go to RNO via their hubs.

Comment

I agree with the last post come to Phx then to Reno. I was just in Hastings, MN and flew back on US Air to Phoenix and then went up to Reno for some quick pylon adjustment for the new course. You can also fly into Vegas and go to Reno from there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by racersedge
            With the exception of 50 between the Y in SLT and Meyers, the rest of the drive is still very beautiful. Like is said above, most of the homes are hidden back behind, plus they are getting close to finishing removing the debris.

Comment

Working...
            X