No announcement yet.

How Howard spent his weekend..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Howard spent his weekend..........

In the sunshine at Duxford's 'Flying Legends' show, flying Stephen Grey's Wildcat.

Every year I make the 11,000-mile round trip for Legends, every year it seems to get better and better. The best heavy metal warbird show you'll see anywhere, in my book.

Howard comes over every year, as do a number of other familiar faces.

Steve Hinton, fresh from airtesting the new P-40B, lugs his parachute across to the ultra-rare P-39 to fly in the Heritage Flight demo with the F-15E and Ed Shipley and Jim Beasley in P-51s.

Heritage Flight with a difference..........

Oh, and another visitor from the US for the weekend was Tom Camp. I'll certainly be back next year, and I hope to see some of you make the trip. Even if you only do it the once, a visit to Legends is something everyone should do at some point.

Comment

Re: How Howard spent his weekend..........

AWESOME coverage Mike, thanks for sharing
      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Wow...that P-39 just makes me drool.

Of course, I'd never be able to shoehorn my fat a$$ into the cockpit, but a fella can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          Wow...that P-39 just makes me drool.
          And it really surprised me with its agility. Having flown previously only at 2 of the last 3 Legends (always in the hands of Steve Hinton), and done no other shows in the intervening time, the most I've ever seen it do is a single roll.

The weekend's displays (again in Hinton's capable hands) contained several loops, half-cubans and steep wingovers, a very impressive routine.

A couple more for you, Brad.

Comment

Thanks, Mike. You know, the Cobra's may not have been very good fighters in the overall big picture...but man, when I think of how an airplane 'should look', there is just something sexy and 'racy' about one of them.

Comment

Yes, they've always been one of my favourites. I worked on the ex-JRS / Bob Reiser P-63 in the UK before it was sadly lost due to an in-flight engine fire. It always looked fantastic taxiing in, sitting high up on that noseleg with the gearbox whining away.

Comment

P-39= Porche 914 of the sky!

Nothing like having a mid-engine car or fighter I say!!

Errrr... doubt your tall ass would fit very well in a nine one four either Bradly..

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                  Errrr... doubt your tall ass would fit very well in a nine one four either Bradly..

Like a monkey trying to ride a football......

Comment

Were there any British planes at Duxford? Or do they just not photograph well?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                      Were there any British planes at Duxford? Or do they just not photograph well?
                      Yeah, lots. 8 Spitfires, a Seafire, Sea Fury, Lysander, Hawker Hind and Nimrod, 2 Hurricanes, Lancaster, Gladiator, Mew Gull, Arrow Active...............

Lots of photos to go through yet, I just thought I'd post up a few of the visiting Reno air racers to start with.

Comment

Do you have any more shots of the P-40B

Comment

Working...
                        X