do you know this invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you know this invader

i know speed might this is one of my triva pictures i give the hint it was 1982? Shawn
    Attached Files

Re: do you know this invader

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
    i know speed might this is one of my triva pictures i give the hint it was 1982? Shawn
    It's a racer alright.....

I last saw that at Oakland in about '83 or so, parked by Sumthin' Else, Fyrtile Myrtle, and the CAF PBY. Still had that faded orange race number on it.

Comment

I was going to guess hamilton but with the date, now I'm not sure.

Jarrod

Comment

Well, there's only so many races and so many Invaders that have raced in the 'modern era'.

Start doing the math, m'boy.....

Comment

First of all a belated Happy Birthday Shawn. Is that John Crocker's B-26
          which is now at the Castle Museum? Keep posting those old photos from
          the Aro archives. They bring back fond memories and are inspiring me to quit procrastinating, dig into my 70's and 80's collection and post a
          few. See you at Reno, Frank

Comment

let see how about Lloyd Hamiton and the cal 1000 Race Shawn
            Last edited by Shawn Aro; 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Lloyd Hamilton and the 1971 California 1000. I believe John Alford was his co-pilot. Race # 16, naturally.

Comment

Wasn't there a Lear family member that flew one at the races?

Jarrod

Comment

Actually Wally McDonnell owned and flew his B-26 at the Mojave 1000 with John Lear in the cockpit. kind of a P.R. thing for John as I understand it.
                  Per Wally.
                  Will Whiteside

Comment

Don't know that one but did you know Robert Converse's mother flew one in the cross country "Bendix" race at the 1946 Cleveland Air Races.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

ok here is the story i was 14 and at the watsonville airshow in 1982. The invader was white with a blue strip and it had a 16 on it was a little faded but that was the one that Lloyed flew before he got Baby Gorilla? Shawn
                      Last edited by Shawn Aro; 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteside
                        Actually Wally McDonnell owned and flew his B-26 at the Mojave 1000 with John Lear in the cockpit. kind of a P.R. thing for John as I understand it.
                        Per Wally.
                        Will Whiteside
                        Well, actually both Will and Jarrod are right. John Lear raced a white A-26 #76 at Reno in 1968, and then he and Wally McDonnell flew Wally's black #4 in the 1970 Mojave 1000.

Lear--eclectic as he is--has always said he has a soft spot for the Invader.

There was a thread here about a year ago where the white #76 Invader had been restored and was supposed to make it to Reno '06 as part of the Heritage competition. I don't think it ever made it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                          Well, actually both Will and Jarrod are right. John Lear raced a white A-26 #76 at Reno in 1968, and then he and Wally McDonnell flew Wally's black #4 in the 1970 Mojave 1000.

Lear--eclectic as he is--has always said he has a soft spot for the Invader.

There was a thread here about a year ago where the white #76 Invader had been restored and was supposed to make it to Reno '06 as part of the Heritage competition. I don't think it ever made it, though.
                          Slightly
                          Brad,
                          A little trivia regarding another Lear. Bill Lear Jr went through the USAF Cadet program in my Dad's class. He had already flown the P-38 at age 17, (still the youngest to have flown it as far as I know). My Dad said he was really fun to have around and that he was a lot of help. Apparently put on a demo for everyone at one point at the request of the CO. But it seems to me that my Dad said he was so advanced in his flying skills that he went on to advanced training before everyone else. Not sure how much of this is accurate, but several of the men that graduated in Class 49C that were at the reunion last year in Reno told me the same basic story. I am curious if anyone has read his book Fly Fast, Sin Boldly and if he talks about his days in Cadets.
                          Bill
                          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

The On-Mark is the old Lloyd Hamilton racer. N500MR was most likely owned by airline pilot George Rivera when you shot it. He later rebuilt and sold it to Bill Farrell of Ohio. Painted in spurious Vietnam colors it was named "Gator Invader". Later sold to Greek TV station owner Minos Kiriakou, it is currently stored at a Greek AF base.

T J

Comment

The Douglas A-26 Invader registry follows the history of all Invaders that survived military service.

The Douglas A-26 Invader registry follows the history of all Invaders that survived military service.

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
                              Last edited by RandyGoss75; 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM.
                              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Working...
                              X