No announcement yet.

Wildfire fighting helicopter up close!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildfire fighting helicopter up close!

I was going to go the Nevada County Airfest today, but was tired and decided not to. Well, the day wasn't a total loss

Long story...cliffs at bottom

ANOTHER brush fire broke out near me late this afternoon and was threatening homes and putting up a lot of smoke. I went to take pictures of course and found it would be a big challenge, I was basically shooting STRAIGHT into the sun. I took a few pictures of the 2 helicopters working the fire, but wasn't having much luck. I decided to just shoot the fire/plume itself.

I was driving to find a different location and noticed a fuel or water truck and a NDF van in a big field off the road. I did not realize that it was the support team for N545DF, a Huey.

I was about to leave when I heard on the scanner that he was going to get fuel, so I decided to see if he would fly by me. Well, he didn't only do that, he LANDED where the truck and van were, so then I put 2 + 2 together and realized what was happening. I started walking around about 10 yards away. I noticed one of the firefighters coming towards me, so I asked if I could keep taking pictures. He said yea and was really friendly and talked to me while they started fueling the Huey for the trip back to Minden, their base. He had to do something, so I started taking pictures again.

A few minutes later, the pilot came up and introduced himself as Mick and said I could come up close and see the helicopter even better. While we walked back to the helicopter, we talked and he told me this particular Huey was used in Vietnam. So I did, then he surprised me and made my day when he offered me the chance to sit in the back of the Huey, of course I jumped at the chance(I didn't have my 24-70L with me because I wasn't expecting this, so no interior shots ).

He told me more about the helicopter, and said the bucket they use can hold 250G of water. I jumped out, then he REALLY amazed me, and told me I could sit in the PILOT's seat if I wanted...HELL YEA!! I jumped in and was amazed how well you could see all around and how cool it was to see actual instruments, not just 2 or 3 screens. He told me that it was like flying a station wagon, but he loved it and it is a workhorse.

The firefighter fueling the helicopter came over and told him he was ready to go. He also had to pick up some of the other crew near the fire line. So I jumped out and thanked him, he offered me a tour of their base down in Minden when they get a chance. I am definitely going to! He zipped his flight suit back up and got in. I followed to of the crew members to a safe distance and watched in shock as he turned the helicopter on and let it warm up, then took of into the sunset.

*CLIFFS*: Was having trouble taking pictures of a brush fire, noticed a fuel or water truck and a van in a field, pulled over, started taking pics, just about left, but had a firefighting helicopter land about 20yards away in said field to get gas from said truck. Meet the crew,pilot and got to go inside the Huey.

Landing:

Getting fuel and resting:

Briefing and removing the bucket:

Taking off to go pick up some crew members and head home for the night:

The fire:

Re: Wildfire fighting helicopter up close!

If you haven't already... try to get copies of the photos to the guys at the fire station where the helicopter is based. Over the years I've been both the guy in front of and the guy behind the camera, its always a treat to see/provide one persons view of what you do. I'm sure they would be very proud to see what you've captured. Well done
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
      If you haven't already... try to get copies of the photos to the guys at the fire station where the helicopter is based. Over the years I've been both the guy in front of and the guy behind the camera, its always a treat to see/provide one persons view of what you do. I'm sure they would be very proud to see what you've captured. Well done
      I am going to, I am trying to find their email or snail mail addy

Comment

Dang, that first one is really nice!

Jarrod

Comment

If yoou hit those crew members just right, they may offer to pay you something. I have several photos at the crew desk in Stead that are on display. I always turned down the pay, just having them up on the wall for all to see was good enuf for me. MG You know...... "I TOOK THAT PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          MG

Comment

Great shots Ryan!

See ya in September!
            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Yea, I would never want to be paid by the firefighters, the work they do is payment enough
              Originally posted by racersedge
              If yoou hit those crew members just right, they may offer to pay you something. I have several photos at the crew desk in Stead that are on display. I always turned down the pay, just having them up on the wall for all to see was good enuf for me. MG You know...... "I TOOK THAT PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                Great shots Ryan!

See ya in September!
                Thanks Victor!

When will you be in Reno for the races?

Comment

That helo is based here in Minden, NV. I found the site for the Sierra Front Interagency Dispatch Center who could probably help you out with an e-mail address.

Their address is:

Hope that helps..

Will R. Lynch

Comment

Thanks Will, I have that site also, thats how I find out about the fires

My Mom has actually done work for Sierra Front and is getting me the contact info
                    Originally posted by Wilnit
                    That helo is based here in Minden, NV. I found the site for the Sierra Front Interagency Dispatch Center who could probably help you out with an e-mail address.

Their address is:

Hope that helps..

Will R. Lynch

Comment

Working...
                    X