Jet Class - The List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Class - The List

WOW... we were excited to see a couple different types at PRS.. I was just forwarded the list of proposed entries for Reno 2007 and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

I am awaiting permission to release said list (techincally, by sending it to a media outlet without "off the record" attached, permission is given... but, we don't work that way here... We like to keep everyone happy and we may have gotten on the Cc: list by mistake so...

We'll wait for reply but I'll say this..

If they are allowed to fly the jets they have proposed, it will be a "not to miss" event just seeing them together on the course, let alone racing!!!!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Jet Class - The List

Permission given... This could be interesting!

Racing Jets Inc. List of Approved Aircraft
    (Basic criteria is no more than 15º wing sweep and no afterburners.)

MANUFACTURER MODELS COMMENTS / REMARKS

Aermacchi MB-326 Impala (all)
    Aero Vodochody L-29 Delfin (all )
    Aero Vodochody L-39 Albatros (all )
    BAC (Hunting)
    Jet Provost (all)
    BAC 167 Strikemaster
    Canadair CL-41 Tutor/Tebuan
    Candair CT-133 (all)
    Cessna A 37 Dragonfly (all)
    Cessna T-37
    deHavilland DH-100/113/115 Vampire
    deHavilland DH-112 Venom
    Fouga CM-170 Magister

Grumman F9F Panther
    Hispano HA-200 Saeta

Homebuilts BD 5J, ? Not encouraged. The Viper is the only real possibility and it is not yet proven.
    Locheed T-33 (all)

North American (Rockwell) T-2 Buckeye (all)
    Paris Jet MS - 760
    PZL / WSK Mielec TS-11 Iskra
    Soko G-2A Galeb
    Temco TT-1 Pinto (all)
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, I read this as a list of approved aircraft, not a list of entries. As in, you can bring these types of jets if you want to. Do you read it differently?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
        Wayne, I read this as a list of approved aircraft, not a list of entries. As in, you can bring these types of jets if you want to. Do you read it differently?
        You are correct.... sorry if the way I put it is misleading.. "Proposed" is what this list is about. This will be the list of "approved" types submitted to RARA and the FAA....

None-the-less... what a hoot it'd be if we get to see half of these types in the air!

Would have liked to put this into a "real" article with more detail but I'm totally swamped...

To the jet owners, looks like this would be an interesting time to bring out your toys for a real "show"...

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

ROFL a BD5-J!!!! I have only seen 2 of thies accualy fly, but if memory servs, they are rather quick. It would be a real B!tch to keep an eye on it though.

Comment

Ahhhh... memories of Bob Bishop in his Coors Silver Bullet in the 80's come back to me. Along with being a great airshow pilot, he was also quite a humorous character, broadcasting over the PA via his radio as he performed. We need more unique acts like his at Reno.

I don't recall a BD-5J ever going much faster than 300 mph though. You'd have to put a bigger engine in it somehow to make it competitive.

But, if light aircraft racing heavier planes are a safety issue as they are in the unlimited class, then wouldn't it be foolish to let a little Bede fly against the bigger jets like the T-33?

Sounds like a double standard to me.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
              You'd have to put a bigger engine in it somehow to make it competitive.
              And a bigger fuel tank. As I recall it had something like 15 minutes of fuel.

Comment

Isn't it a shame that the replica Me-262 didn't make "the List"...D.

Comment

It's really not a replica. But a shame none the less.

Comment

As I recall there was a handicapped jet race at Mojave one year in the mid '70s. All qualifiers were staggered according to (some sandbagged)times. The BD-5J rolled first with an F-86 last. I think it was Hoover driving the Saber. The F-86 blew the doors off everybody without breaking a sweat.
                    Because of the staggered start and widely differing speeds the "race" was a snore. Theoretically all planes would cross the finish line together. It didn't work. But the sight and sounds of the jets mixing it up close to the ground with lots of passing was a blast.
                    May I have more please?

Comment

We tried this with Handicapped Sailboat Racing on the Chesapeake Bay, it didn't work there either...the fastest guys won every time!
                      Re: "the List" Where's a B-57, F2H, Meteor, CF-100, YAK-15? Anyone want to add to this "Wish List"?...D.

Comment

Originally posted by David E. Wells
                        Re: "the List" Where's a B-57, F2H, Meteor, CF-100, YAK-15? Anyone want to add to this "Wish List"?...D.
                        F-84 and F-89 are pretty straight wings right? And the PoF F-59? It is supposed to be done in Sept right? (wink)

I still say open to all jets but no burner allowed. I don't think I would care about the real race but seeing a F-86, F-104, F-100, T-38, T-33, T-2, F4J, L-39, MiG 15, MiG 21, F-4, A-4, Hunter, Vampire, etc etc mixing it up would simply be amazing (and expensive). Maybe we could get the EE Lightning to come and play!
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

If they brought up the SUPER Pinto, I'd bet it would put on a serious showing.......at least it would give the Albatross a hard time...
                          BTW...let's put a WARTHOG..uh..sorry... a THUNDERBOLT II in the race, let's see who would stay in front of THAT stick...
                          Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

How does the T-2 hold up to the L-39?

Comment

This should be allowed to race..freedom fighter

Comment

Working...
                              X