Blue Skies Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skies Dad

Not sure who of you met my Dad last year, but he came to Reno for his Class reunion with his Air Force Pilot Training Class 49C. He was very ill at the time, (came close to not making it at all), and in an attempt to make the effort very special for him, Randy Goss helped me to get my Dad a ride in a T-6. It was the first airplane he ever flew in and as it turns out, the last non commercial flight he ever made. He loved it and it was a moment in time that will be with me the rest of my life. I am so greatful to the T-6 community for their help, and especially to Randy and his family , and to the Six Shooter crew, Wayne Cartwright and Jim Morgan. You guys and gals are awesome people. It was the coolest thing I have ever been able to give back to him. He brought me to Reno the first time in 74. The last airshow we attended together was the P-38 show at the Warhawk Museum a few short weeks ago. Need I say more?
    My Dad served in the Navy the last year of WW2 and was present during the battle at Okinawa. He went on to the Air Force after going to college after the war where he flew T-6's to start, on to B-25's, B-29's, B-50's, B-47's, and finally the Mighty B-52. He flew many Arc Light missions over Viet Nam during several tours over there. He was a great man and will be greatly missed by his family and friends. He passed away at age 80, peacefully at home with his family beside him, this past Saturday morning. Blue Skies Dad. And thanks.
    Attached Files
    Never mind. Maybe next year

Re: Blue Skies Dad

Blue Skies....

Sorry for your loss, good that you got to spend those special moments with him!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I know this is personal, Bill. I very much enjoyed your dad.

Take stock in knowing how close the two of you were these past couple of years...remember how 'alive' he was at Reno last year...remember how excited he was at the reunion, the joy and exhileration at his T-6 ride...and in spite of how cantankerous it has been lately, just cherish that time with him and be glad that all of you were with him at his side on Saturday.

You can hold your head high in knowing that HE knew.....

Comment

Prayers & good thoughts about your Dad. Glad you shared this with all of us. Blue Skies.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Thanks for Sharing.

Comment

Blues Skies and Tailwinds
            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Bill,
              I guess I met your dad about 30(!) years ago when we were in Tulsa,and always enjoyed his company. He was always good for a story, as well as taking part in the harmless scams we used to pull. This shot has to be 20 years old. I'll miss him a bunch.
              Bob

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Bill.

Comment

Bill,

It was an honor to meet your father.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. RG
                  Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                  RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Sincerest condolences, Bill.
                    If your warmth and humor came from him, he was one hell of a man.
                    Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                      Sorry for your loss, Bill.
                      This might sound stupid or silly but there really isn't a loss. They are still with us, we just have to look for them in different ways.

Not tryin' to a "Shirly McLain" here but.. I'm a firm believer in the "life after" thing. Can't explain it, won't even try but I'm sure about it...

They sure get to do a lot of stuff we don't once the slit the bonds!

Hope nobody takes this wrong!

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

bill, the only time I met you and your dad was when wayne took him out for that ride last year, but my first impression was what a gentlman he was. I am glad that jim and wayne could give him that ride. My condolences for your loss.
                        bob burns
                        ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                        "dont mess with texas"

Comment

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Victor,

That is one of the nicest pieces you have ever done my friend!

What a nice tribute. RG
                            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Just beautiful, Victor.
                              J Murphy

Comment

Working...
                              X