Max race speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max race speeds?

What do you think is the max speed achievable for an unlimited?
    Not just a short sprint but continuous that could be held until the fuel tank runs dry.

Like in a jet most are mach .8-.9 unless with an afterburner (F-22 & a few others excepted), so top speeds of mach 2+ were very rarely obtained unless for a few minutes.

What would a racer (or warbird P-51/Seafury etc) be able to do without nitro, ADI, water sprays etc.

The current upper limit being about 540mph (Dago & Rare bear) for short bursts with all the magic gear, without? maybe 400? more or less?

In a race like the old Cleavland or Mojave races, what speeds could be held?

Re: Max race speeds?

I would say about 320-350 at sea level for a completely stock mustang right out of the factory. But Dago or Strega with a stock engine could probably go 400.

Comment

Originally posted by race9
      I would say about 320-350 at sea level for a completely stock mustang right out of the factory. But Dago or Strega with a stock engine could probably go 400.

Thanks, I've been curious as to how much a benefit it would be having a stock airframe with a race motor or the reverse in having a fully race prepared airframe with a stock motor.

They must be some slick Mustangs, would there be the same sort of benefits (aerodynamically) on the large radials with all of their frontal area?

Comment

Ryan is correct. 61 inches of manifold pressure and 3000 rpm out of a dash 7 with 9 heads and banks a speed of 325-335. Ryan, next time you see Jimmie, call him 'Jukebox'. Nothing bad, but sortta funny. He will know who you have been talking to. ss
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X