help for a 1st timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help for a 1st timer

I've been an aviation enthusiast for years - and Hoover's book was one of the best I ever read. I picked up a book called Fly Low Fly Fast - read it and made reservations for this year's race (am from Philly). The problem is boating is my other favorite sport and I'd like to visit lake Tahoe and spend a day on it. My question is: Between Fri - Sat & Sun , which day do I miss racing and go to the lake. Obviously SUnday is not the day - I planned on going Fri because once I get there - I want to see the airfield & planes and can't wait a day so I was going to take Sat off for the lake then come back Sun. Is there any good reason to switch Fri for Sat and attend the races on Sat & Sun instead of Fri & Sat? Any insight would be appreciated.

ps: From what I'm reading so far - next time I should take the week off.

Friday would be a good day to beat the crowds and walk around to the vendors, pits, etc. Sunday you can sit and watch the races, etc from the grandstands, or wherever you would like to sit. But, needless to say, you'll see most everything that you would on Saturday. Check the www.airrace.org for info on the daily events.

Michael

Comment

The main diffrence between Fri and Sat will be the size of the crowds, but even the Sunday crowd never really gets to me. Personally, I'd deal with the crowd on Saturday so I'd be in Reno for two days straight and not have to worry about anything else. Races on Friday, Tahoe on Saturday and back to the races on Sunday is a lot of running around!

Just my $0.02.

Comment

THanks - but more ?

THanks for the feedback.... I heard Tahoe is about an hour's drive... not too big of a deal. Do you know if they sell beer (this is important ) at the races and/or can I bring a cooler there with me? Also - how late in the day do they race? I saw the schedule and they have activites starting at 8:00 - wow that's early.

Comment

You'll be there allllllllll day, and if you're like me, most of it will be spent walking. Get there early, or you'll get stuck in traffic from hell. The days wind down between 5 and 6. Yes, you can buy beer, no you can't take your cooler in (soft-sided versions might get through, but I can't say if even then you can bring in your own alcohol. I doubt it). If you haven't already, get a pitt pass, it's worth every penny.

You can see the lake after about an hour's drive, but that doesn't get you on the water. Lake Tahoe is HUGE, and there's a lot to see. Have you already arranged for a boat rental, and do you know where it is on the lake? There's a big difference in travel time between the north and south shores.

Comment

beer & lake

THanks again for the feedback - I have a softsided cooler packed - thought maybe I could bring some soda/water in it - but we'll see. Thanks for the warning on traffic - how early is early? 7:00? 8:00? As for the lake, I found 2 places on the south shore - and noted frm the map that it is a longer drive. I'll look again and find a rental place on the North shore - everyone I call says it is not very busy and no reservations required. Just call ahead to make sure the winds are not too high. I have a race package with reserve seatnig - but no pitt pass. I wil invest in them - do you now the cost? Thanks again - I leave Phila in about 6 hours and can't wait to see this event - I only wish some of the legends would be flying - looks like a few have dropped out. As I said - next year - I should take the whole week off. Thanks again.

Comment

Friday pit pass is $20, they go up $5 a day from there.

Here's a good source for boat rentals around the lake.

I will be driving from the CA bay area at 1 am Sunday morning, and arrive into Reno in time to have breakfast and get out to Stead before the gates open. When I did this in 2000, there wasn't any traffic to speak of at 7 am between downtown Reno and the field.

I'll be in Tahoe for some R&R as well, but later in the week following the races.

Comment

Working...
              X