PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard Camera Contest

Skyracer
06-22-2007, 09:19 AM
A while back the idea of handing out cardboard cameras for a "point'n'shoot" photo contest was tossed around. I can't find the thread, but as I recall it seemed like it would be supported and could happen.

Is the support still out there?

I'd be willing to spearhead this if there is enough interest.

speeddemon
06-22-2007, 09:31 AM
A while back the idea of handing out cardboard cameras for a "point'n'shoot" photo contest was tossed around. I can't find the thread, but as I recall it seemed like it would be supported and could happen.

Is the support still out there?

I'd be willing to spearhead this if there is enough interest.

None of the 'primaries' were interested...unfortunately. :-(

Skyracer
06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
OK...I couldn't remember where the "idea" ended up.

Hey Wayne...delete this thread - QUICK!!!

Shawn Aro
06-22-2007, 09:57 AM
how about a chain of photographers across the pits :cool: shawn

ShermB
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
What about the non pro photogs doing it?
NAG could buy, distribute, and collect the cameras. I could take them into town for 1-hour developing, bring them back to NAG Shack and post them for votes.
Betty

Victor Archer
06-22-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't know... I herd Dash is really into chains and stuff... :eek:

Taco
06-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I have a card board camera.

SCEPTER
06-22-2007, 11:45 AM
some of my entrys

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z60/svenschipper/mj.jpg

more..

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z60/svenschipper/fRISOcRAZY.jpg

TWD
06-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm in. We don't need no stinkin Pros.

Bring a cardboard camera in Sept and the fight (I mean contest) is on.
Just develop the negs, get the CD option and post here.
The pros have their fancy equipment. But this is for those of us that have talent (or not). I think the pros won't be able to resist once they see how much fun we're having.

TJ

Skyracer
06-22-2007, 12:10 PM
We need to keep the playing field level, so no outside cameras and no individual developing. ShermB has the right idea, supply the cameras, collect them, and get the processing done. Things being "Reno" it is probably best to get CD's and post the results here as opposed to posting the photos and voting. (Wasn't this all hashed out once already? Wasn't Speeddemon going to organize it {until the "pro's" dropped out}?) How about it Speedy, wanna do it?

I think this would be a great bit of fun and I'm sure the results will be surprising.

AAFO_WSagar
06-22-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm in. We don't need no stinkin Pros <snip> I think the pros won't be able to resist once they see how much fun we're having
I think Neal tried to explain "our" situation in the earlier thread. It's not that we would not want to "play"... We, the "working media" are given the very rare opportunity to be somewhere that most people never will get to go; we're also given the responsiblity of capturing that opportunity on film/digital and sharing it with the world.

I can't speak for the rest of the photogs who get to go out but for myself, it's very rare to actually see what I'm shooting until much later when I look at my photos in full screen mode. We are always on the "hunt" to try to get "the shot"... to capture a moment that truly visually describes what we get to "see" out there.

Most of us who do go out there spend countless thousands of dollars on the tools to make this capture a success. It would be an huge waste to lose that moment because the stuff hanging around our neck was hanging, rather than at the ready.

I truly think there is a misconception that "we" just go out to the pylons and "play" all day. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only "off" moments we have is when nothing is flying.. the rest of the time is spent with a great deal of self-induced pressure on one's self..

Air to Air is the same only even more pressure...

Don't think I'm complaining, I'm not, I love what I do and I'm sure the rest of "us" do... it's just that it's not fun and games, it's work, it's what we do. We try to bring the absolute best images back from wherever we go..

I'm sure that given the opportunity, many of you could come back with as good or superior images to many of us...

I sincerely hope this did not come off as "haughty" as it was totally not meant to..

Thanks for understanding..

Wayne

Skyracer
06-22-2007, 12:21 PM
To Wayne and the rest of those who are (or should be) committed.

I fully understand the committment and pressure of the "pro" side. When it is your job and your business, it is difficult to set that aside and take time to play when you have limited opportunities to get that one in a million money shot. Trust me when I say no offense intended, and none taken.

To those who may be interested, post your comments and let's see if this idea has the needed support.

speeddemon
06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I think Neal tried to explain "our" situation in the earlier thread. It's not that we would not want to "play"... We, the "working media" are given the very rare opportunity to be somewhere that most people never will get to go; we're also given the responsiblity of capturing that opportunity on film/digital and sharing it with the world.

I can't speak for the rest of the photogs who get to go out but for myself, it's very rare to actually see what I'm shooting until much later when I look at my photos in full screen mode. We are always on the "hunt" to try to get "the shot"... to capture a moment that truly visually describes what we get to "see" out there.

Most of us who do go out there spend countless thousands of dollars on the tools to make this capture a success. It would be an huge waste to lose that moment because the stuff hanging around our neck was hanging, rather than at the ready.

I truly think there is a misconception that "we" just go out to the pylons and "play" all day. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only "off" moments we have is when nothing is flying.. the rest of the time is spent with a great deal of self-induced pressure on one's self..

Air to Air is the same only even more pressure...

Don't think I'm complaining, I'm not, I love what I do and I'm sure the rest of "us" do... it's just that it's not fun and games, it's work, it's what we do. We try to bring the absolute best images back from wherever we go..

I'm sure that given the opportunity, many of you could come back with as good or superior images to many of us...

I sincerely hope this did not come off as "haughty" as it was totally not meant to..

Thanks for understanding..

Wayne

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....."our" situation. That's funny. I'm out there too, Hoss. Remember me? Working Media? I watch the race through a viewfinder too...and then have to go watch what I've shot to get my 'story' out of it. MY press credentials are identical to yours. But I have time to walk around with my personal 'me' camera and take pictures for my own pleasure.

One 24 exposure disposable camera spread out over a week won't keep the 'working media' from covering the event. That was why my original concept was we take a day like Wednesday or Thursday--a day that has not a lot of impact on the weeks overall activities--and set it as 'the day'...one day, one disposable camera. Over the course of 12 hours at the race site, something like that would have ZERO impact on any 'working media's' ability to cover the event. I never said 'instead' of using your Nikon with the 800mm lens. Never said to do anything 'instead' of covering the event. I said 'have' a disposable camera, and take pictures as you can/see them.

The idea was meant to give the professional photogs an opportunity to go back to using the old Mk. 1 eyeball and finding a 'shot' with something that you couldn't manipulate...as opposed to shooting a gabazillion images on the autowind digital monster, finding one, photoshopping it, and then dumping the bad pics from the memory at the end of the night.

And it was to have some fun. Remember, the original 'idea' came from a comment I made about wanting to get a photo of Neal and Vic standing at the pylon shooting with disposable cameras.

But the responses that came down came off more like everyone was scared when it came time to put up or shut up on their photographic abilities. Like it was somehow beneath everyone.

THAT was why I dropped it.

AAFO_WSagar
06-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....."our" situation. That's funny. I'm out there too, Hoss. Remember me? Working Media?
You know Brad.. .sometime, you might want to try to get your point across without being insulting in the process.. :rolleyes:

Feel free to approach your "job" how you see fit. I'll do what I do my way....

:dunno:

speeddemon
06-22-2007, 01:53 PM
You know Brad.. .sometime, you might want to try to get your point across without being insulting in the process.. :rolleyes:

Feel free to approach your "job" how you see fit. I'll do what I do my way....

:dunno:

Nevermind. Not worth it.....

fenceliner01
06-22-2007, 01:55 PM
THAT was why I dropped it.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea. why dont we just level the field by making a rule that no pics from the pylons will be considered - no stress on the pros to have to make a choice, everybody has equal acess to the same opportunities, etc.

AAFO_WSagar
06-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Same goes, my friend. Sometime you might want to try to get your point across without sounding like you're more important than everyone else.

I know you take your job seriously. But stand back and take a deep breath now and then. The oxygen will do you good.
Brad, That's your opinion of me, has been ever since the day I did not have time to eat with you at the old press shack.

Trust me, those whom you spoke with at that time took little time to inform me of your stinging words.

On that day too Brad, I had a job to do. That I did not have time to do things the way you thought I should was then, as this is now, your problem.

Now, take your own advice my friend, take a deep breath.

:eek13:

AAFO_WSagar
06-22-2007, 01:59 PM
By the way Brad.. try reading my original post slowly.. you know, like ALL of it...

In it I think I make it pretty clear that I'm not trying to sound more important than anyone and that it's pretty likely that many folks could do as well or better than some of us who have managed to get the opportunity.

Wayne

speeddemon
06-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Tomato/tamahto....

fenceliner01
06-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Nevermind. Not worth it.....
I think Dasher could find you a dead horse smiley.

Randy Haskin
06-22-2007, 02:20 PM
<ring, ring>

Okay, kids, recess is over. Time to get back to Jr High School.

heh heh

Randy Haskin
06-22-2007, 02:29 PM
And you are so mature - playing video games all day.

Hey, hey, hey...the taxpayers still think I'm Supporting and Defending the Constitution. <ssssssssh!>

TWD
06-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I agree with the no photos from the pylons idea.
The photos would suck.
I think ramp/crowd photos would be much more appropriate to the cardboard tool in hand.

TJ

Skyracer
06-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Come one come all, your choice. Twelve cameras, first come first served. Photog's retain non-exclusive rights to publish whatever they take. Organizers retain rights to stated purpose (contest) to publish on AAFO only.

Anything else in this line?

speeddemon
06-22-2007, 02:52 PM
It might make a good article for NAG...

Betty was down on it. She said we could post the pictures on the message board on the NAG trailer and let the public vote.

Randy Haskin
06-22-2007, 02:57 PM
But they wouldn't get PAID for being published in the NAG newsletter.

I, for one, think it would be GREAT to see what the pros could do with just a disposeable camera. It would totally level the playing field.

speeddemon
06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
But they wouldn't get PAID for being published in the NAG newsletter.

I, for one, think it would be GREAT to see what the pros could do with just a disposeable camera. It would totally level the playing field.

Keep yer' head down, bro.....

AAFO_WSagar
06-22-2007, 03:14 PM
:smooch: :moon: :yes:

ShermB
06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
OK, people.How does this sound?
NAG will purchase a limited number of box cameras, to be distributed on Tuesday and Wednesday at the NAG Shack in the pits. Photos to be taken on Wednesday, box camera to be turned in by end of day Wednesday. I will have the pix developed Wed PM. Will post on NAG Shack bulletin board in the Pits Thursday for voting. Winner will be declared and posted Friday.You don't have to be a NAG member, but you must be an amateur photographer.

If this doesn't fly with this group,I will write it up for the NAG Rag and make it NAG members only.
Betty

Victor Archer
06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
but you must be an amateur photographer.
Betty
Just when I was gonna say hand me one of them... Oh well...

jarrodeu
06-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Oh no, I don't get there till Thursday. Oh well. :sad:

Jarrod

fenceliner01
06-22-2007, 04:49 PM
OK, people.How does this sound?
NAG will purchase a limited number of box cameras, to be distributed on Tuesday and Wednesday at the NAG Shack in the pits. Photos to be taken on Wednesday, box camera to be turned in by end of day Wednesday. I will have the pix developed Wed PM. Will post on NAG Shack bulletin board in the Pits Thursday for voting. Winner will be declared and posted Friday.You don't have to be a NAG member, but you must be an amateur photographer.

If this doesn't fly with this group,I will write it up for the NAG Rag and make it NAG members only.
Betty

Betty - It all sounds good to me. Only probelm I see is that some enthusiasts might not be there as early as Wednesday. However, logistically speaking, I can't think of doing it any later in the week.

Heres some ideas from me.

1. Number all cameras. Betty registers names to numbers. photos are posted on board by camera number and exposure number. Names will be added to board after judging is completed. This will remove any bias or favoritism from voting results.

2. Use 12 exposure (or less) disposable cameras. That's more than enough pictures for just one day, plus whoever is running the contest can just post all twelve on the NAG board without having to do any pre-judging. Contest entries and winning images can then be forwarded to AAFO or other and other designated websites for display and bragging rights.

3. Have two or more contest categories, and designate them with the cameras at checkout. Also furnish the categories on the voting forms.

4. This one is entirely optional, but may spur interest in the contest, and NAG membership. Voting forms should have a space for name and address. A random drawing will be held from all submitted votes. Winner will get an 11x14 matted and framed print of his choice from any of the winning (or submitted) entries. I'll volunteer to take care of having the print made, framing, and shipping to drawing winner. This will also give NAG a list of potential members, if they want to mail a membership form out after the races.

Since I'm local, and also have access to poster and signage materials, and can do basic sign printing, I'd be happy to work with Betty on the contest setup,camera purchases, and other details. This could be a fun event!

Victor Archer
06-22-2007, 04:56 PM
http://209.85.48.10/6654/22/emo/smiley.gifhttp://209.85.48.10/6654/22/emo/smiley.gifhttp://209.85.48.10/6654/22/emo/smiley.gifhttp://209.85.48.10/6654/22/emo/smiley.gifhttp://209.85.48.10/6654/22/emo/smiley.gif
I kinda like the idea, BUT, I will not use one out on the course, I would if it were PRS but not during race week.

Lockheed Bob
06-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Dasher don't let those so called unprofessional cardboard camera people con you into anything. Just show up at the annual "Warlock" party and you'll be safe.

flyingjibus
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
I vote for Thursday. Unless you wanna see twelve pictures of me drinking off an 11 hour drive?

Stevo
06-22-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm in :thumbsup:

Skyracer
06-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Do I get bonus points if I get Dasher in a compromising position or is that too easy?Maybe "Dasher" should be a category? ;)

Skyracer
06-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Heres some ideas from me.

1. Number all cameras. Betty registers names to numbers. photos are posted on board by camera number and exposure number. Names will be added to board after judging is completed. This will remove any bias or favoritism from voting results.Absolutely (as explained above....)

2. Use 12 exposure (or less) disposable cameras. That's more than enough pictures for just one day, plus whoever is running the contest can just post all twelve on the NAG board without having to do any pre-judging. Contest entries and winning images can then be forwarded to AAFO or other and other designated websites for display and bragging rights.That's works, especially the 12 exposure cameras; 24 shots is too many.

3. Have two or more contest categories, and designate them with the cameras at checkout. Also furnish the categories on the voting forms.Include a copy of the rules with each camera as well as the categories. Three or four categories should be about right, no more than six.

4. This one is entirely optional, but may spur interest in the contest, and NAG membership. Voting forms should have a space for name and address. A random drawing will be held from all submitted votes. Winner will get an 11x14 matted and framed print of his choice from any of the winning (or submitted) entries. I'll volunteer to take care of having the print made, framing, and shipping to drawing winner. This will also give NAG a list of potential members, if they want to mail a membership form out after the races.I like it, generate a little enthusiasm among the voters.

Since I'm local, and also have access to poster and signage materials, and can do basic sign printing, I'd be happy to work with Betty on the contest setup,camera purchases, and other details. This could be a fun event!Kewl...Help when you need it most.

Randy Haskin
06-23-2007, 08:25 AM
So...you all had better go buy a bunch of disposeable cameras and start practicin'!

Gotta figure out what shutter speed they are, what the field of regard is, etc...

:)

speeddemon
06-23-2007, 10:10 AM
I can see it now...

A group of goofballs running around with cardboard cameras following me wherever I go.

Wait... that sounds like a typical day in Dasherville.

Except for the cameras.

http://209.85.48.10/6654/22/emo/fairy.gif

All Hail Dasher...Queen of Tards!!!!

ShermB
06-25-2007, 11:18 AM
She looks like a Pro to me. :D
Betty