PRS-Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS-Pictures

They aren't great, but if you are like me, any airplane picture is a good one....
    Last edited by a4gturn; 01-04-2012, 10:38 AM.
    ...going off the rails on a crazy train....

Re: PRS-Pictures

So what kind of time did the bonanza post?
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
      So what kind of time did the bonanza post?
      I think that is Judy Wagner's Bonanza...she turned a 165 in the Womens Stock Class.

Comment

I was fairly young, but seem to remember there was a powder puff derby with stock airplanes including a bonanza at my first event in 1965 at the Stead Ranch.
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust
        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
          I was fairly young, but seem to remember there was a powder puff derby with stock airplanes including a bonanza at my first event in 1965 at the Stead Ranch.
          You are correct sir..also in 1964 I think. Don't recall seeing any retracts or v-tails in the ladies races, though.

Comment

The Women's Stock Plane class raced at Reno until 1969--Bonanza's, Myers 200's, even a Navion or two. That is where Judy Wagner got her start.

Comment

The Women's Stock Plane class raced at Reno until 1969--Bonanza's, Myers 200's, even a Navion or two. That is where Judy Wagner got her start.
              Judy had considerable x-country racing success (Powder Puff Derby) before racing in the Women's Stock Plane class, where she was very successful. The old PRPA had a ban on female race pilots in other classes that was lifted starting in 1969, when the WSP class was dropped. Joan Alford was the first of the women to race in an established class (F-1), as her Owl racer #87 "Pogo" was completed before the Wagner Shoestring #44 "Solution".

The first F-1 race for Judy and #44 was at Cleveland in 1971, which coincidentally was the last time Gary Austin's Cassutt competed (as #42 "Maybe's Baby" with Jim Southworth). While #44 has raced almost constantly since it was built, Reno will be the first race for #42 (hope Gary keeps the old race #, doubt that the old psychedelic paint job will ever be seen again) in 36+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Tosg
                Judy had considerable x-country racing success (Powder Puff Derby) before racing in the Women's Stock Plane class, where she was very successful. The old PRPA had a ban on female race pilots in other classes that was lifted starting in 1969, when the WSP class was dropped. Joan Alford was the first of the women to race in an established class (F-1), as her Owl racer #87 "Pogo" was completed before the Wagner Shoestring #44 "Solution".

The first F-1 race for Judy and #44 was at Cleveland in 1971, which coincidentally was the last time Gary Austin's Cassutt competed (as #42 "Maybe's Baby" with Jim Southworth). While #44 has raced almost constantly since it was built, Reno will be the first race for #42 (hope Gary keeps the old race #, doubt that the old psychedelic paint job will ever be seen again) in 36+ years.
                Dooood! Are you an F1 Geek? Or did you find that in a book? Either way.... That is very interesting information. Thanks for the spiel. I LOVE HISTORY LESSONS! Brad, John, several others, and now YOU?
                Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Tosg

I tried to obtain race #42, but it's taken by someone else. The original race number was taken from the N number, which is N642X. So instead, I asked for and was granted race #64. I know it's not the same, but it's as close as I could get. The name, however, will stay the same...."Maybee's Baby."

I've mentioned it on another thread, but it bears repeating...I cannot tell y'all how much of an honor it is for me to be the one to take this airplane around the pylons again after it's 36 year hiatus and to finally have the personal opportunity to fly at Reno.

I look forward to meeting y'all there.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X