Turtledeck on Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtledeck on Voodoo

I noticed Voodoo doesn't have the Turtledeck on. Does anyone know if Bob intends to put it back on like he said after Reno?

Re: Turtledeck on Voodoo

Bob is spending all his time and effort on having a strong running engine to race this September. When he has a year free of engine troubles he will look at changing back to the race canopy. If all goes well this year he will change it back for next years race. We will be posting another interview in the near future where he will explain all his plans. Keep watch for it on the web site.

As a side note: Bob was happy with the way the engine ran at PRS on Friday and Saturday.

I'll let everyone know when we post new video's on the Web site.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Embdad
      Bob is spending all his time and effort on having a strong running engine to race this September. When he has a year free of engine troubles he will look at changing back to the race canopy. If all goes well this year he will change it back for next years race. We will be posting another interview in the near future where he will explain all his plans. Keep watch for it on the web site.

As a side note: Bob was happy with the way the engine ran at PRS on Friday and Saturday.

I'll let everyone know when we post new video's on the Web site.

Dan
      Has ANY mustang ever gone through Sept without at least some engine trouble?

Comment

I should clarify by what said about engine trouble. Bob is working on a year of racing expierence before putting the turtledeck on. The last two years we have had engine trouble that kept him from racing.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Race5

Both Dago and Strega both have had trouble free years. (usually include a win) It used to be everyone asking if a certain round motor could make it through....

Comment

Thanks Dan I will keep watching. I would like to see Bob do well this year and I really liked the other canopy on the plane but it looks great like it is as well especially if it runs up front.

Comment

In general, the merlins are being run much farther above their design limits than most of the 3350's are. Thus, there are historically more failures. If you look at it on a comparison scale, the amount of mods going into many 3350's are far less than the racing merlins.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
                In general, the merlins are being run much farther above their design limits than most of the 3350's are. Thus, there are historically more failures. If you look at it on a comparison scale, the amount of mods going into many 3350's are far less than the racing merlins.

Michael
                As a side note to that, The amount of Modifications that are structural to the 3350 are practically non-existant compared to the trussing and bridgeing and strapping that is required on a Merlin operating at close to 300 percent of it's design limit. Comparing design limits the 3350 is only operationg at a little over 10 to 15 percent of it's design limit. But I think that the Merlin as "Da'Mouse" lends itself better to overlimit than the 3350 does, in other words you will never see a 3350 run much beyond *&@#*^ % in excess of design.
                John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                  But I think that the Merlin as "Da'Mouse" lends itself better to overlimit than the 3350 does, in other words you will never see a 3350 run much beyond *&@#*^ % in excess of design.
                  Hey John, that provokes a question from me. Do you think the fact that a 3350 can't go "as far beyond the rim" as a Merlin is just due to the better power densities that are more or less inherent to water-cooled engines, or do you think it is structural/vibrational? I've always heard it tossed about that a 60-degree V12 (like an inline-6) is one of the most perfectly "naturally balanced" engines, and I know radials have horrific natural balance, but is that even part of the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                    Bob Hoovers old "Ole Yeller!

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                      Hey John, that provokes a question from me. Do you think the fact that a 3350 can't go "as far beyond the rim" as a Merlin is just due to the better power densities that are more or less inherent to water-cooled engines, or do you think it is structural/vibrational? I've always heard it tossed about that a 60-degree V12 (like an inline-6) is one of the most perfectly "naturally balanced" engines, and I know radials have horrific natural balance, but is that even part of the issue?
                      I think the question should be phrased as "hasn't gone" as opposed to "can't go". I would say it is more a case of the complexities of a radial v.s. those of a "common" style engine that people have been hot rodding forever. This is not to say that a Merlin is not complex in its own rite, but one must agree that it is more conventional in design than a radial and, thus, hot rodding it is also more conventional.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                        I think the question should be phrased as "hasn't gone" as opposed to "can't go".
                        No, I know it truly is "can't go" to get a similar amount of percent increase out of the 3350 which is rated at 3800 HP you would have to get 8520 HP out of the Wright, I don't care who you are that isn't going to happen. The Merlin was rated 1695 HP from the factory and the levels Dwight was getting exceed 3850 HP. so in reality 224%. The Wright is running at 110 %, at best.
                        John Slack

Comment

Working...
                        X