Hinton in USA Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hinton in USA Today

USA Today has an article on the Glacier Gal's try #2 to cross the Atlantic.

Starting Thursday Airshowbuzz.com will feature live tracking of the flight.
    Rich

Re: Hinton in USA Today

Wow! Judging from the flight path, it may have flown directly over my house!
    I'm just over the Mason-Dixon line where WV borders PA.

Comment

What's is the longest Glacier Girl and Mr. Shipley's TF-51 have flown in one at one time?? I know those guys know what they are doing, and have taken all the safety measures possible, but that sure is a LONG way over water. I'll be saying an extra prayer for their safe arrival and good weather. Have a GREAT flight guys. God's speed.

Comment

It's Stephen Grey's TF-51, on its delivery flight to Duxford. It first flew a couple of weeks back, after being built up at Chino by Square One then Fighter Rebuilders.

They've scoped out the route (Hinton flew it with Rod Lewis last week, to Duxford and back) and have chase planes with safety equipment on board, so they've de-risked the trip as much as humanly possible.

Looking forward to hearing of their safe arrival at Duxford on the 29th, and seeing them there a week later.

Comment

That's new news, June 3rd www.warbirdalley.com , said it was Ed Shipley in a P-51. At any rate, this trip is probably no big deal for those guys, but for a guy like me who has never flown over big water in ANY kind of plane it seems like a REALLY big deal. I'm sure it's going to be a very rewarding time for all who are involved. And for those of us watching [and live tracking] thanks for the updates.

Comment

You're quite correct, it is Ed Shipley in the TF-51, but it's owned by Stephen and is on its delivery flight to him at Duxford.

It came a long way in a month, here it is in Hinton's workshop in May!

Comment

Thanks Mike that clears my mind a little. [nice plane and pic] I thought I was a little more crazy than I already knew I was. Since your up on this route back and forth across the ocean, is this a comon thing to fly planes on this track? I understand Red-Bulls P-38 is going to be flown to Austria, is this the route they most likely will take?

Comment

A Tigercat came across the other way last week, from the UK to Chino, for a new owner in Seattle. It used to happen quite a bit, but most of the single-engined aircraft (P-51s and the like) are crated and shipped these days.

The late John Crocker used to be an intrepid transatlantic ferry pilot. To my knowledge he brought a P-51, F8F, FM-2, P-40, F4U, B-25 and F7F over during the 1980s.

Comment

When will Glacier Girl be returning to the United States?

Comment

Steve Hinton is currently due to leave Duxford the day after the airshow (on Mon July 9) and be back in the US a few days later. Maybe straight to Oshkosh, or possibly back to Rod Lewis' place at San Antonio first. The TF-51 is remaining at DX

Comment

I clicked on that tracking link, and there was a little P-38 on the screen, how cool is that, to be able to keep up with them all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
                        A Tigercat came across the other way last week, from the UK to Chino, for a new owner in Seattle. It used to happen quite a bit, but most of the single-engined aircraft (P-51s and the like) are crated and shipped these days.

The late John Crocker used to be an intrepid transatlantic ferry pilot. To my knowledge he brought a P-51, F8F, FM-2, P-40, F4U, B-25 and F7F over during the 1980s.
                        Another ferry pilot who was in great demand in the 80s was Mike Wright. He flew B-25, P-47, and a P-38 (back and forth) during those days.

T J

Comment

Bump for tracking link

Comment

Working...
                          X