Jets, MPH difference????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets, MPH difference????

I'm all for having more jets going around the pylons, [Race5 said in an eariler post that any straight wing jet can race this year}...BUT, I was looking at www.warbirdalley.com and the speed differences start jumping out at you. The max-speed for the L-39 is listed at 435 MPH [at sea level, 485 mph at 19,600 ft ] the Buckeye is listed at 521 MPH, and the T-33 is listed at 600 MPH !!! [the buckeye and T-33 did not state any difference between sea level and 19,600 the way the L-39 did] Now you guys know a LOT [a LOT] more about the racing than I do, but what does this do for the racing??

Re: Jets, MPH difference????

I assume its going to be like the unlimited, where the speed difference is 300-500 mph.

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder if that means Mr. Hinton will try for Jet Gold this year in the POF T-33...
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

The T-33's at Mojave back in the seventies were going about 550 on a 15 mile course at 2800 feet msl.
        Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
          The T-33's at Mojave back in the seventies were going about 550 on a 15 mile course at 2800 feet msl.
          Chris...

Yup...and the feedback was that THAT was about the optimum speed for the pilots too. They also flew F-86's in '73, which were about 50-70 mph faster than the T-33's, and all three pilots reported that it was just too exhausting on their bodies.

I also seem to recall that Clay Lacy figured out that if you took the tiptanks off the T-33, it was significantly faster.

Comment

Pls. inform us what list of potential straight wing birds could or would qualify for this event

BM

Comment

So true,
              And Leroy Penhall took full advantage of that discovery.
              Chris...

I also seem to recall that Clay Lacy figured out that if you took the tiptanks off the T-33, it was significantly faster.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
              X