AAAGGGGHH! Hard Drive Crash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAGGGGHH! Hard Drive Crash!

Don't know how the rest of you do it but I've been downloading to these little USB hard drive enclosures forever.. Shoot all day, download to the portable, clear cards... do it again..

Crikyes.... I've just lost a ton of pictures!

Nearly brand new drive, toast... Going to send it in for a recovery process but since the drive is not spinning, it's gonna be a heafty bill..

Not even sure what all was on it but *maybe* all of my archives from the Thunder Over Reno shoots... at least most of all of what I shot this last weekend (did not lose the air to air with the stearman, or with the TOR group last month... double backed up)

Anyway...

Pix from me are likely to be sparse at best for a few days till I get the drive recovered... if.. they can recover it!

First place I called was almost $1,400. to recover!!!!!! YIKES! Found another that *says* they have a $219. flat fee..

Obvious choice..

Wish me luck!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: AAAGGGGHH! Hard Drive Crash!

That blows buddy... all bad

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a full recovery... and after that, don't forget......
    (cough cough) western digital
    Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
      That blows buddy... all bad

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a full recovery... and after that, don't forget......
      (cough cough) western digital
      Sad but this IS a WD.... Came in a pretty cheep external housing deal... I'm wondering if these companies selling the really killer deals on housing/drive combo's are using remanufactured drives!

Calling WD today...

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It's the new high-tech version of "What do you mean the developers lost my film? ARRRGHHHG!"

Best of luck with the recovery Wayne. $219 sounds awefully cheap for a data recovery service. let's pray they can do it.

The more expensive services actually dissect your drive in an ultra-clean room enviroment and rebuilt it using similar drive parts, hence the high price. I don't know if the lower cost recovery methods goes that far. Hopefully they won't have to.

(P.S...So far, only Seagate has proved reliable to me, but everyone has different experiences).

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
          It's the new high-tech version of "What do you mean the developers lost my film? ARRRGHHHG!"

Best of luck with the recovery Wayne. $219 sounds awefully cheap for a data recovery service. let's pray they can do it.

The more expensive services actually dissect your drive in an ultra-clean room enviroment and rebuilt it using similar drive parts, hence the high price. I don't know if the lower cost recovery methods goes that far. Hopefully they won't have to.

(P.S...So far, only Seagate has proved reliable to me, but everyone has different experiences).

This place advertises a "flat rate"... wording is *somewhat* ambigous.. But if they are ligit, they are subsidizing the more difficult, far less common, HD crashes with the software only ones.. $219. for a software only recovery is really cheap, since you really only have to mount the drive, connect to another, run the program and walk away (been there done that)...

Opening er up in the clean room is far less common but is very spendy..

We'll see if they can handle it. Otherwise, I'm gonna really be hurtin' on this one!

Wayner
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
            Sad but this IS a WD.... Came in a pretty cheep external housing deal... I'm wondering if these companies selling the really killer deals on housing/drive combo's are using remanufactured drives!

Calling WD today...

Is it a WD "Passport" ??
            _________
            -Matt
            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
              Is it a WD "Passport" ??
              It's a WD Caviar 320 SATA drive in a... err... Can't remember the brand of the housing..

Don't know what went wrong but I'm sending it in tomorrow.. They are not really encouraging though, if it happens to be the spindle is siezed or the motor is bad, they can't fix it and then we go back to the $1400- range....

I CAN'T afford that kind of money but I also CAN'T ignore the historic significance of some of the shots on there (from the movie shoot last month.. was the only person there shooting really) so I've GOT to do the recovery...

*sigh*

*if* it winds up costing that much, plans for a new lens are out the window...

On the good news side, the "Service Engine Soon" light on the dash of my truck, turned out to be only a loose connection on my EGR valve!

Thanks to Auto Zone's free diagnosis of error codes, and a wiggle of the connector by the guy who showed me where it was.. After deciding not to buy the $189. part... (code showed either bad connection or bad egr) I was on my way to the Chevy dealer to get further diagnosis and as soon as I drove off... the light went out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, on the chevy trucks with the electronic EGR valves, you'll know if it goes out. It will start running REALLY rough, and won't idle. I have gone through two on my older truck. If you get a light and code for an egr, and it still runs, it's the connection every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                  Wayne, on the chevy trucks with the electronic EGR valves, you'll know if it goes out. It will start running REALLY rough, and won't idle. I have gone through two on my older truck. If you get a light and code for an egr, and it still runs, it's the connection every time.
                  Larry, it was idling rough.. although, it always does, somewhat.. it's a 97 with the 5.7 liter (350ci) Vortec....

Seems to idle even rougher at Reno...

Gas mileage is great for a V8! Around 17-18 at highway settings (fassst)

VERY happy that it was not a part!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne

If they do get it all back let me know it seems I'm in the same area of
                    hard drive failure...........

Thanks Tom

Comment

That reminds me, I need to do a backup (of about 5 years worth of stuff).

Comment

Sorry to hear about the trouble Wayne.........I hear you about the "Histerical value" of your photos.......SOOOOOO

THIS SEEMS TO WORK IN TIMES OF "crisis" HERE at AAFO

LETS TAKE UP A COLLECTION TO HELP.....WAYNE this month

I'm in for a quarter

I love this site .....and the things it does...........

LETS HELP A PAL OUT

I would be willing to bet that everybody that reads this thread will back up something important tonight........

Comment

Originally posted by Jim58
                          I'm in for a quarter

I love this site .....and the things it does...........

LETS HELP A PAL OUT

I would be willing to bet that everybody that reads this thread will back up something important tonight........
                          Yea.. if you haven't done redundent backups (OPTICAL!) ewe really ought to think about it.. at least an additional hard drive for each that you really value..

Jim, dang, I appreciate your donation more than you can imagine! I'm sitting here in shock, just get things going in the right direction and bang... hit with the "threes" bad luck comes in threes?? Right?

Today it was a flat tire!

Ahh.. I know I pissed off "Zarinah" at Reno.. (Sorry Dasher) so I hope her hex is off me now that I've suffered the three bad lucks.. *sigh*

If not.. go easy on me with the rest of the hexes OK?? I can't afford this chit!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'd put in my $.02, but I spent it on another thread...Dang!

Comment

Working...
                            X