Old Critical Mass picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Critical Mass picture

I snapped this picture I think in the late 90's, may have been in 2000 also. It was my first or second trip. Does anyone know what happened? and when it happened? I do know it was on a sunday.

Re: Old Critical Mass picture

This was 1993, the first year we raced. The engine blew up during the second heat race so we towed it to the CIA hangar and put on the spare. We had it hanging in time to tow it back about the time the Gold race started on Sunday, that's when this picture was taken.

-Ken

Comment

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! And its funny because the date on the back of the picture was aug 2001, that roll was in my camera bag for many years.

Comment

Found this on YouTube, its AAFO approved, lol

this is sweeeeeeeeeeet. I wonder if its close to the year the above pic was taken.

Comment

Bob-

That was the summer of 2000 the replacement for the motor we blew up in 99! Note the shorter vertical fin on the later video.

-Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken, I am on dial up and was kinda excited, it looked like I found a vid clip from the same races, once I saw the end I knew I made a booboo but could find a way to edit? So I went to bed, lol. But thanks guys for the info. I will be in the pits for the first time this year, and I may go for 2-3 days

Comment

I couldn't bring myself to comment on the picture yesterday.
              We had worked so hard to get to the race and then she blew up.
              If I recall correctly, Ken was in the air force and had flown in for the week. He was all hot to start on the engine change. All I could add was "have a nice time." I was very happy that winter (as we finished the engine install) that so much work had gotten done during race week.
              Mostly that picture just brings up those feelings of dispair at having worked so hard to make it to the show and then...Kablammo!

TJ

Hey, I've got a great Idea. We could chronicle an air race team's flail to get to Reno and show it on TV. Maybe a mini-series. We could call it Reno the Hard way....or.....

Comment

Working...
              X