Following in Shawn's Footsteps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following in Shawn's Footsteps

Okay all you geeks and wanna be's like me, here are a couple from the VOS, in which year? Not great pictures, but part of the record I suppose. Just to shake off the cobwebs while we wait for more data from PRS......
    Attached Files
    Never mind. Maybe next year

Re: Following in Shawn's Footsteps

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
    Okay all you geeks and wanna be's like me, here are a couple from the VOS, in which year? Not great pictures, but part of the record I suppose. Just to shake off the cobwebs while we wait for more data from PRS......
    Can I play? I know the answer......

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
      Can I play? I know the answer......
      Are you done cleaning your room? Give it a little while Speedy and see if anyone else can answer, and if you're playing nicely by the end of the day, you can answer. (I knew you would know. And it probably has something to do with the color of the wingtips or some other discrete point of interest or ultimate geekness which would be of interest to me. The only reason I know is because of the box they were in. And THAT could be wrong. HAH!

Comment

Hmmmmmm.....early 90's.....93???? A stab in the dark.....
        Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

Originally posted by "Race" Driver
          Hmmmmmm.....early 90's.....93???? A stab in the dark.....
          That deserves an E for effort Hint: Different decade, same race. That should help. Thanks for playing

Comment

That deserves an E for effort Hint: Different decade, same race. That should help. Thanks for playing
            I thinks maybe I'll go get a job as a F-16 crew chief....14 working days to retirement....ha ha!!!

Comment

Come on, Bill. Tell everyone who THE MAN is....tell 'em. WHO'S THE MAN????

Comment

Come on, Bill. Tell everyone who THE MAN is....tell 'em. WHO'S THE MAN????
                Yer other brother Randy? (making myself as small as possible......) Okay, okay, quit twisting my arm..... I'm gonna tell yer mom....... Ow, ow............ yu da man Brad, yu da man. Still can't tell em until you're on your way to the bus though.........

Comment

I'll stab at it........1988?
                  "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

James Maloney and the Planes of Fame Air Museum of Chino, California registered the Super Corsair as NX31518 in 1982 and raced it as Race #1. Steve Hinton and Fighter Rebuilders acquired it in 1984. Hinton won the 1985 Gold Unlimited Race at Reno in Race #1 at a speed of 438.186 miles per hour, establishing a new race speed record.

Comment

I'll take a stab at 1983, with Ron Hevle taking the flag in Dago. In '85 Rick Brickert maydayed out with Dago and '84 was won by Skip in Stilleto. Speed, care to tell the "rest of the story"?

I think '83 is wrong here, 'cause the Super Corsair has the later, large spinner installed. OTOH, wasn't Dago off for several years in the late 80's? Speed? As usual, my geekdom is flying in MVFR conditions.
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Okay. 1984.

Dago has the 'polished' leading edges for the first time. It also has the small "Coors" logo up front on the cowling (moved to the back part of the turtledeck for '85).

Super Corsair is in its first year without the Bud Light sponsorship...but still has the small Mustang spinner on it (replaced by the larger unit in '86). Only way you can tell its not in the '85 winning configuration was that there was a sponsor logo on the cowling that year.

I know. COMPLETE geek for knowing that stuff. And it only took me about 30 seconds of looking at both photos to figure it out. Sad.

By the way...Bill SAID I could post the answer. And yeah...he concured that the slides came out of the 1984 box.

By the way, Peas....Hevle flew Dago in '82 and then stepped over to Strega. Rick Brickert was in it from '83-'85. The year that this photo is from was the year he was going at it with Skip in Stiletto and caught fire. That was the same year he set a new speed record in Saturday's heat race of 439 mph, and everyone thought that THAT was the wall...that there was no way anyone was going to go faster than that. In '85, Dago finished third behind the Corsair and Sea Fury...the only year he 'finished' in the Championship race with Dago.

Comment

wow.

Comment

....only took me about 30 seconds of looking at both photos to figure it out.
                            ALL HAIL GEEKMASTER BRAD!!

Comment

Was the fire 83 or 84? I have lost the issue but the Air Progress story on the races had a shot of Dago with everything above the stacks burned away. Standing in front is the crew with Rick holding a VERY badly burned helmet. In front of him was the burned and melted canopy.
                              My "Reno on Record CD has this event on the radio in the background with Hoover telling them that the pilots out, the planes burning and "would they get the damn trucks out there? I don't want to see that beauty burn up!"
                              Unfortunately for me those are the years I never developed all of my film!
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X