Microsoft Live Earth....Reno..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Live Earth....Reno..

Just thought I would share.... I was just checking out this new program from microsoft called virtual earth and looked down over Stead field. I noticed that when they took the picture it had to be in September near race time. The tents are up, the box seating in place, planes on the tarmac, even a couple fans in the stadium seats. I just thought it was neat because usually when I look over Stead in google earth or other programs like that, the place looks "dry as a bone".

My heart starts beating again in September.

Re: Microsoft Live Earth....Reno..

I havent been to the races in a couple of years now. When did the kart track get built? Is it open during race week?
    Brewski

Comment

That is really cool. You can see the unlimiteds on the ramp.
      Vodoo et all........

Comment

Originally posted by Brewski
        I havent been to the races in a couple of years now. When did the kart track get built? Is it open during race week?
        It has been there for a few years now. The IKF holds a national there every year. When I tried to go out there last year, they had it closed because the road that goes out to it cuts through the course.

Comment

If Bad Attitude didn't have invasion stripes it would be perfectly hidden. Same for the OV-10 right next to it (except the invasion stripes).

Is there any way to capture that part of the map as a pic?
          Tony

Comment

It seems that the photo was taken 2005 during the second session of sport quals( I have found three shadows out on desert floor so far,one of them looks like a nxt ). The shadows of the buildings and acft on the ground show that it's the afternoon. No dago red and september Fury is a clear indication that it's 2005 also southern cross is parked next to the rare bear. Even from space dreadnaught is big.

Comment

Definately not afternoon (shadows are on the North-West side of everything). I'm saying it is mid-morning on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'd also say the Sport class is not up as there are not any Sport class planes on the ramp. Looks to me like Unlimited qualifying since there are several Unlimited's on the ramp and several empty pit stalls. Also, a couple of jets are on the ramp possibly getting ready to go for their session.

Comment

I'll toss my guess in too-definitely after 6 am, my truck is next to our kid's trailer in the "trailer park" and 6 is the earliest we are out there, but probably even after 9 because the park lot to the south of the IF1 hangar is almost full. Early in the week,because there is usually enough activity going on all day long in the camp area later in the week that one would see some people-and I don't see many "dots" indicating people, or dogs

jmurphy

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                  Definately not afternoon (shadows are on the North-West side of everything). I'm saying it is mid-morning on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'd also say the Sport class is not up as there are not any Sport class planes on the ramp. Looks to me like Unlimited qualifying since there are several Unlimited's on the ramp and several empty pit stalls. Also, a couple of jets are on the ramp possibly getting ready to go for their session.
                  Yeah, I have to concur with that evaluation. I looked at the camps out in VOS, and it's definitely before noon, AND before Wednesday afternoon. We aren't there yet....... at least not at the spot we camped at next to the HUGE US flag that is out next to the fence. That is a pretty good view though of the whole thing during Race Week.
                  Bill
                  Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

OK air race geeks....due west of the go kart track adjacent to the west side of the north-south dirt road....dark colored plane with stars & bars showing on the left wing. Howard's Bearcat?

Comment

Found this last week and have been playing the same game. Definately mid-morning, shadows are near vertical. Hard to tell if the Formula-Bipe doors are up at normal height, (they're rarely closed during the days). No cars or trucks in front of hanger, which means Wednesday at least, and with some of the pit food tents up, so it's probably Thursday.....

Comment

my bad. Riff raff, cloud dancer, big bossman and a yak are not in the photo, I should have noticed that. I lived in reno for 22 years missed only two races since 1985 and should have notice the shadows. Damn I suck speedball alice can be seen airborne. Look for a "L" shape dirt road close to the 14 runway end

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                          OK air race geeks....due west of the go kart track adjacent to the west side of the north-south dirt road....dark colored plane with stars & bars showing on the left wing. Howard's Bearcat?
                          Alice? Has to be her. Hanging a right after takeoff. Not too geeky was it?
                          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Damn I really suck now I"ll stick to stick and ball sports and my F-16. Good bye forever

Comment

Originally posted by F-16 CREW CHIEF
                              Damn I really suck now I"ll stick to stick and ball sports and my F-16. Good bye forever
                              Don't cry....not everyone can achieve Geek status overnight. I mean, sheesh....ARA has worked hard to get to his "Junior Birdman"-level of Geekiness....and I know he wears it proud!

Comment

Working...
                              X