Gas Station B-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Station B-17

Just curious if the B-17 is still in Oregon at the Gas Station or ??

Re: Gas Station B-17

last time I was by it had its nose section off being restored, but its been a while , guess I will have to drive over there and check it out
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

where abouts in Oregon is this? The wife and I are planning a trip up there, would love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
        where abouts in Oregon is this? The wife and I are planning a trip up there, would love to see it.

Just south of Portland.

Comment

I believe it's in Milwaukie OR, just south of Portland. The way I understand it, the owner bought it years ago, for something like $15,000 with the intention of using it as a cover and attention getter at his gas station. The top turret for Sentimental Journey came from this B-17.
          Brian

Comment

I had breakfast at the restaurant there last winter and the bomber was still there. It's located at 13515 S.E. McLoughlin Blvd, Milwaukie Oregon.

Hey, I even found it on the web -

Comment

Still there, looking uglier then ever. The nose section is off and will not go back on according to employees. It is going to be in a museum or something. The rear gunner glass is off as well as the top turret. They have plywood covering up the holes, doesn't look too good. When they first put it there the city would not let them tow it on public streets so they brought it in in the middle of the night. Must have been an interesting spectacle.....

Comment

Please take a look at the website before you start taking potshots; things may not be as they appear. There is a small group of dedicated people pouring a lot of effort into restoring and maintiaining this airplane and Art Lacey's legacy.

Comment

Here's a look (in center of view...zoom in for a better look).

Map multiple locations, get transit/walking/driving directions, view live traffic conditions, plan trips, view satellite, aerial and street side imagery. Do more with Bing Maps.

Comment

McLaughlin Blvd is old the old north south highway on the east side of the Wilamette River (only major river, just about anywhere that flows north btw)...

So it'd also be known as Highway 99E...

Getting there from downtown PDX would be via Grand Avenue, the main southbound half of the MLK Grand Blvd north south one way twins... which would turn into Mclaughlin Blvd. About 8 miles on the right (west) side of the highway once you get PAST Milwaukie out towards Oak Grove...

Was still there last time I was by.. I used to pass it daily on the way to work. It has been in pretty bad condition forever really..

Interesting story I heard about how Art Lacy got it... could be myth but, likely, not..

The original B-17 purchased was crashed on takeoff... no injuries other than the loss of the airframe.. The salvage depot guys just told Art and crew "go pick another"...

God, those were the days ey!

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That's what I had heard also Wayne. As I remember it the flight out was one of those "how do we fly this" kind of things. There was an article on it in either Warbirds or AC a while back.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                        I had breakfast at the restaurant there last winter and the bomber was still there. It's located at 13515 S.E. McLoughlin Blvd, Milwaukie Oregon.

Hey, I even found it on the web -

http://www.thebomber.com/Index.asp
                        here it is on google earth
                        Attached Files

Comment

McLaughlin Blvd is old the old north south highway on the east side of the Wilamette River (only major river, just about anywhere that flows north btw)...
                          Bob Odegaard and co. might dispute you here. The Red river of the North also flows north. The Red forms the boundary between North Dakota and Minnnesota (parts of South Dakota as well). Fargo, ND is separated from Moorhead, MN by the Red river.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

Hey, Hey Wayner...pretty bold statement. There's the Pend'Orielle river in North Idaho also.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                              Please take a look at the website before you start taking potshots; things may not be as they appear. There is a small group of dedicated people pouring a lot of effort into restoring and maintiaining this airplane and Art Lacey's legacy.

Well suprise suprise. the server's dont know what they're talking about!

I read the info on the site and it does appear that they plan on putting it back together. I fear what is happening to the rest of the plan while they spend so much time on these parts. I drive by that thing nearly every day and have to avert my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X