3350 on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3350 on ebay

Looks 'Race Ready' to me. Slap that puppy on the Bear. Run good...last long time.

Comment

The Bear will be running the motor off Critical Mass this year. It will probably be hung by the end of next week.

Comment

"used in B-25, B-29"
        Must have been one fast and noisy B-25!
        Some wire brushing an a couple cans of Krylon and Voila!, a rebuild.
        Plugs out? Light corrosion? I once bought a $65 Cadillac that had been sitting in a barn for 5 years with the plugs removed. It took cans of Liquid Wrench and days of soaking before we could force it to turn over.
        It actually ran good but if it had been a driver rather a destruction derby car it probably would'nt have run long.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Better check with John Slack, I heard Bill Hickle say the only thing the Bear engine has in common with the B-29 engine is the gear ratio. I think John also said on this forum there is only enough parts for about 3 3350 race engines left, correct me if I'm wrong, and that there are no more parts left for a Thorn Merlin.

Super Sport is a step in the right direction but they need some sort of turboprop class, I saw on another site where a 1000 shp Legend can beat a stock F-51 in speed and turn capability. And the Legend is a pretty big two seater, but as I've said in the past the flutter problem of homebuilts scares the heck out of me as anything over 250 kias flutter is a big issue and you gotta go about 440kias to win the gold at Reno (don't mean to step on sensitive toes but look at the Gary Levitz tradgedy where they had all the money and top notch workmanship but flutter killed Gary).
          Ron Henning

Comment

I know this is VERY old info..... but

Remember the (Polen 400... spelling???) and their challenges exploring the (???? 250 to 300 ??? ) speed ranges?

Hey.... anybody got any history on that little red airplane?

BM

Comment

That 3350 on the nose of "Steadfast"...
              Will's winter project?

A lot of metal to bend, but would it make Sparky faster?

A 3350 powered wildcat... Go Air Biscuit!

Woah, the 70's were not kind to me.
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the thought Leo...but nothing will make Sparknot go faster, especially that old boat anchor Wright hand grenade thing.
                Attached Files

Comment

She may not be fast but she looks good!
                  I even don't mind the jelly beans.
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Leo. Brant wants to take them off before going to the 100 P-51 hoo-ha in Colombus. Dont think JB will like that. Think they would appreciate the 'Beanstang' being there in all its gaudy glory. Besides, they may provide the petrol for the jaunt, and thats a bunch of petrol. Pre bean days around some pylon with Robbie. Thanks Mark.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
                      I know this is VERY old info..... but

Remember the (Polen 400... spelling???) and their challenges exploring the (???? 250 to 300 ??? ) speed ranges?

Hey.... anybody got any history on that little red airplane?

BM
                      Well, don't know how much you know... It was built in the Portland area. I saw it at an EAA flyin in Spokane around 1977. A few years ago, I heard that it had been sold and shortly after that saw a pretty good article about it. I think the article was in the EAA magazine (brain fuzzy's).

Here are some links with bits of info:

There's more on the web, just Google "polen special".

Comment

Originally posted by spinner
                        Thanks for the thought Leo...but nothing will make Sparknot go faster, especially that old boat anchor Wright hand grenade thing.
                        That's a nice picture of a 3350 starter motor.

"old boat anchor Wright hand grenade thing."

No, your looking at a British designed hand grenade. With it at the bottom of a lake and a good rope you would have a nice mooring line, for a small boat.

Remind me how many "Super Stangs" where flying at the end of Reno last year? Or the year before?

Comment

Thanks sky...

million years ago, tlked to a guy about the control reversal problems etc.... trying to stay alive with stone age technology.

this guy had a "Acapella" a db5 with a 0360 in the rear... ..... i dont know if he excedded the 271 speeds (i believe) advertized "rubber slide rule" espoused performance specs. by th beeddee guy.

for me it was the first super performance forerunner to todays sports planes

anybody got its (polen 400) vne speed #s

BM

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper
                            That's a nice picture of a 3350 starter motor.

"old boat anchor Wright hand grenade thing."

No, your looking at a British designed hand grenade. With it at the bottom of a lake and a good rope you would have a nice mooring line, for a small boat.

Remind me how many "Super Stangs" where flying at the end of Reno last year? Or the year before?
                            Wasnt casting desparaging(sp) remarks about round engines. Just the one pictured. I have always thought Yank engineering far superior to Brit. However, the Merlin is a great momo when operated within its 'stock' limitations.

Comment

The Polen Special is now owned by a former squadron mate of mine, Dick Keyt, the only guy I know who ever red lined an F-4 at 750KIAS although I' sure a lot of other guys did too. (I was at Korat, Dick was at Udorn). In the OV-10 squadron we served in my callsign was Bout 44 and I think his was Bout 45. Anyway Dick is a senior captain at American and got his A&P, a few years ago he was featured with the Polen in Sport Aviation. Have not talked to Dick since we saw each other at O'Hare in 1979 when I was a DC-9 copilot at Southern and he was a 727 wrench. We used American's gates and Dick recognized my voice on the American frequency and asked if I was Bout 44! Anyway I'm sure you can get info on Dick and the Polen through the EAA or maybe even Google, I haven't tried that yet. Doug Polen was a fighter pilot too, and never intended anyone to copy his airplane thus there are no plans for it. Dick even got a couple space shuttle tiles to shield the turbo heat away from the engine. Great story and a couple great guys, I encourage anyone interested to check them out.
                              Ron Henning

Comment

Working...
                              X