Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Smell of AvGas in the Morning! or HAPPY to be Back in the USA!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Smell of AvGas in the Morning! or HAPPY to be Back in the USA!!!!

When your mate asks you if you want to go on a "road trip" to BC.... "sure".. would be the obvious answer.. then.... "where?" ... How bout Victoria BC... "oh... ah... Sure ey"!...

With visions of a few days on a a pretty island with several trips to the Butchard Garden thing.. ( probably wrong spelling, but will have to do for now ) and other "chick" vacation related things in mind.. off we went..

Little did I know that our view from the deck of our time share would be of the very active port and AIRPORT of Victoria BC!!

From 8:00am untll dusk, the sound of hard working props, both turbine and, best of all.. RADIAL powered waifted into our room..

Beautuful weather and NON STOP aviation action greated this very grateful vacationer.. so much so that this turned into a "working" vacation and we'll have more from sunny British Columbia's very active harbor "airport" in a future update..

Oh.. the HAPPY to be back in the USA thing.. Seems, you drive a car with USA plates in Canada.. at least in Vancouver BC.. (second half of trip) and you're an "ugly American"...

Next time I see BC plate here in the states, I'll have to remember where my horn button and harsh comments are hidden...

Geez ey... we're just your neighbor's to the south ey.. you overcharge by a factor of 125% for your beer and then yell and honk horns at us ey??

What's up with that ey??

Run outta back bacon did ya ey???

Oh well... Vancouver Island (Victoria) seemed pretty USA friendly...

Pretty too!

MORE later..

PS... added another image.. a night shot of the bay where the floatplanes come in.. The dramatic approaches can't be captured on "film" you'd just have to see them..

I'm sure it's just "same-o-same-o" to the pilots but it sure looks cool seeing these birds nosing over heading toward the water with all the other action going on, then ever so gracefully, they skim the water and stop REALLY quickly... well.. slow dramatically, they don't really stop till they reach the dock but man. What a neat show to have out your deck window for two days! I wanna go back for a week.. take the flights.. Really pretty part of the world!
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: The Smell of AvGas in the Morning! or HAPPY to be Back in the USA!!!!

Man! how i miss the Northwest. Sure is pretty up there, love the night shot of the bay
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Nice!
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

For the record its not ey, its eh. Im canadian.

Steve
        Late Night Hobby Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Stevey
          For the record its not ey, its eh. Im canadian.

Steve
          Steve.. do you know of any particular animosity toward American's up there? Sure "sensed" it.. We *were* driving Washington State plates on a BMW but geez.. it's a used car after all.. (cheaper than a lot of Toyota's new)

Not so much in Victoria but Vancouver... downright unfriendly city to the nekked eye..

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Wayne
            Glad you liked my hometown. Victoria is pretty tourist friendly, and though I've never heard of any particular animosity towards Americans in Vancouver, for the most the drivers here don't know how to drive and also are genuine assholes (not me of course - I'm a polite Canadian) Don't take it personally!
            Too bad you didn't let us know you were coming, could have done the tourist thing!
            cheers, Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by dineega
              Hey Wayne
              Glad you liked my hometown. Victoria is pretty tourist friendly, and though I've never heard of any particular animosity towards Americans in Vancouver, for the most the drivers here don't know how to drive and also are genuine assholes (not me of course - I'm a polite Canadian) Don't take it personally!
              Too bad you didn't let us know you were coming, could have done the tourist thing!
              cheers, Rachel
              Oh Geez Rachel.. didn't know you were that close! You in Vancouver area or Victoria? Victoria is truly one of the great places I've been.. Weather was wonderful too!

Loved the non-stop airshow off my deck too!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm in Langley, outside of Vancouver, but I was born and raised in Victoria.
                btw, Nanaimo is another great place to see for lots of oceanfront float plane action - great fishing too!!
                Rachel

Comment

I've always had a great time as an American in Canada. Especially Vancouver and Calgary. Very nice cities, and I've always felt that the locals were really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    Steve.. do you know of any particular animosity toward American's up there? Sure "sensed" it.. We *were* driving Washington State plates on a BMW but geez.. it's a used car after all.. (cheaper than a lot of Toyota's new)

Not so much in Victoria but Vancouver... downright unfriendly city to the nekked eye..

Hi Wayne
                    Sorry you got the cold shoulder, for the most part I expect you'll find it's an isolated thing. I think is centered around where the politicians stir the pot a little too much, and where the whole green / treehugger thing is strong. Curiously we Canadians seem to think of ourselves as earth freindly, but our record doesn't bear it out. When they do the 'ol man-on-the-street interviews and ask what defines us as Canadians, the most common answer is "we're not American", I really hope that doesn't represent the majority up here.

For myself, I work for a good sized Houston based oilfield supplier up here in Edmonton. Albertans are probably as pro-American as Canadians get. If them folks in Vancouver found out what I do for a living, I'd be scorned just as badly as you were.

Why not bring the better half up to Edmonton one day, we got this big mall, and I'll by the beer.

Comment

Originally posted by G. van Dyk
                      Why not bring the better half up to Edmonton one day, we got this big mall, and I'll by the beer.
                      God God man... do you know what you're saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize how "cheap" the beer here is compaired to up dere!!!

But you're on my friend.. Wimpy was renouned for his love of the hamburger, for which he would "gladly pay you on Tuesday" for...

If I can go to my last days with the same rep for BEER!

I'll die a happy man!

Really, I think, at least, some of what we experienced/felt in Vancouver was localized to the condo/timeshare that we stayed in. About half of the building is owned by Trend West.. the rest, by individual owners.. the folks we met in that building were downright hostile!

That may have set the mood a bit for the rest of the stay there.

Drivers in traffic in the moments of unsure driving that wind up happening when you don't know where in hell you are or are going (meaning, maybe a bit of a slow poke) were quite memorable!

I stopped in preparation to back into a parking space and slightly overshot... necesitating a slight back up to get in position.. a guy on a bicycle got right beside us (getting between where we were and needed to go, blocking OUR way) and yelled directly into the open sunroof "DON'T BLOCK THE ROAD"... err.. in truth, it was he who was blocking our way with his body and bike..

Anyway..

I'm "over it" again, LOVED Victoria and the the International flavor or Vancouver.. Stanley park is a wonder!

You're beer, eggs, cheese, as well as many other daily used items are at 200% or more of the cost here! WOW.. couple that with nearly five bucks a gallon for gas!

Well, at least for you guys, the exchange rate is pretty tame right now.. didn't help us much tho..

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yeah -- I stopped buying beer altogether when I moved to Canada and found what they charge for the stuff up here. It simply is not worth it to me at a buck a bottle and up even for the cheap stuff, much less what you have to pay in a decent tavern or for decent drinkable brew. Luckily I've never been much of a beer drinker anyway (had an alcoholic beer drinking father) but it sure is nice to get back to the States once in a while so I can buy a six pack without feeling like I need a new mortgage to do so.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                          Yeah -- I stopped buying beer altogether when I moved to Canada and found what they charge for the stuff up here. It simply is not worth it to me at a buck a bottle and up even for the cheap stuff, much less what you have to pay in a decent tavern or for decent drinkable brew. Luckily I've never been much of a beer drinker anyway (had an alcoholic beer drinking father) but it sure is nice to get back to the States once in a while so I can buy a six pack without feeling like I need a new mortgage to do so.

Neal
                          The very cheapest I found beer was like $10.00 for a six pack.. down here, for that same ten spot, you can get a twelve pack of "decent" Henry's brew.. for a couple bucks more, something really good like Alaskan Amber...

It was shocking... didn't stop me (I was on holiday after all) but did slow me a bit..

There were no drinkers in my family (till me I think ) and I really didn't start liking beer much until after I got sick and it was one of the only things that really tasted good when I was recovering (I don't mean booze tasting good, I mean anything tasting good) Also found that it cured the issue with weight loss that I had going on during treatment and subsequent recovery...

Ya'd have a hard time convincing me that Beer's bad for me..

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                            Also found that it cured the issue with weight loss that I had going on during treatment and subsequent recovery...
                            Sounds deductable to me
                            "No really, it's a medical expense..."

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                              Sounds deductable to me
                              "No really, it's a medical expense..."
                              Yep, I tend to agree with you fully... getting the insurance company to see eye to eye on this one... naaa naaa naaaa..

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X