can you tell what year this was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you tell what year this was

ok my dad gave me some negitives to scan i saw this pic thought it was an interesting pic can you tell who is in this pic i know and i think speed knowes too lets some of other folks seee who it is shawn
    Attached Files

Re: can you tell what year this was

1976 I think, John Crocker's Race 6 "Sumthin Else"

Comment

I already p.m.'d my answer to Shawn....

But I'll give you a hint. That's not at Reno, so it couldn't be '76.

And who is the short guy with the white hat?

Comment

yes it John Crocker and speed is right its not Reno 1976 but its Mojave 1977 at the PRPA Symposim i dont know who the other two gentimen are.

Shawn

Comment

I'm pretty postive the short guy (based on his height and his nose/chin profile) is a 'repeat winner' in two classes at Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            I'm pretty postive the short guy (based on his height and his nose/chin profile) is a 'repeat winner' in two classes at Reno.
            Mr. Greenamyer perhaps?
            Mark Johnson
            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

here is a other angle of it of the pic Shawn
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like Jackie Stewart

Comment

I wish we'd go back to Mojave.

They could do SO MUCH with what they've got there....but the late Dan Sabovitch pretty much laid the rule down. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    I wish we'd go back to Mojave.

They could do SO MUCH with what they've got there....but the late Dan Sabovitch pretty much laid the rule down. :-(
                    explanation, please.

GaNK

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
                      explanation, please.

GaNK
                      As I recall, Air Race Management was initially set up with Sabovitch invovled. He was the airport manager with the Kern County Airport District, or something like that. Air Race Management was Clay Lacy, Lyle Shelton, Dwight Brooks, and a bunch of the Van Nuys guys. Things went well until around '76 when there were a couple of accidents and for financial reasons, they took a year off holding the race.

When it came back, Jack Sweeney (not making a statement for or against him....just remembering) from NAG had found his way onto the ARM team, and started changing the way things were done. The last two Mojave events were pretty less than stellar. And Sabovitch didn't like the way that, in the end, he was treated.

So after the last race in '79, Sabovitch pretty much stated "as long as I'm in control here, there will never be another race at Mojave". Lots of people have tried over the years, but he wouldn't budge...instead, building the 'storage' business that has boomed to what it is now. Dan passed away here a couple years back, and the gentleman who took over for him (can't remember his name) pretty much is carrying on the same tune. Things are too busy and it would be too much of a disruption to put on an event like that. Planes would have to be moved and, and, and, and......

Plus, in the years since, I believe a new freeway has been put in that pretty much slices the old Unlimited course down the middle--so unless you can shut the road down, you're kind of SOL.

Its too bad...because with the exception of the wind, and perhaps the distance from LA, it is a perfect place for a big event.

Talk to Jon Sharp. He's based out of there. I'm sure the subject has been brought up by him more than once when he tried to have the races at nearby Fox Field.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                        Looks like Jackie Stewart
                        That's exactly what I was thinking. Looks just like him.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                        X