lonely Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lonely Mustang

I saw this p-51 on my way home yesterday,can someone tell us a story about it?
    Attached Files

Re: lonely Mustang

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

Interesting - it was sitting at San Martin with many parts removed when I saw it a few months back. Good to see it back in one piece again!

Where were the photos taken Scepter?

Comment

Strange looking prop.

GP

Comment

That mustang is owned by Ken McBride and is in San Martin,CA. He flew it quite a bit around 2000 and it's been down for some work the past few years. It spent some time in the San Martin Museum. You'll probably see it up and running in the near future as I know he's looking to get it back in the air.

I forgot what the exact designation was for the prop, but it is different.

Ken's also the one that you've probably seen hanging out in the Merlin's Magic pits showing off replica P-51 parts. He's been quietly building new parts and components for P-51's.

Michael

Comment

It was parked outside at the San Martin museum when I saw it, so was this where the photos were taken? I believe the parts removed were for use as patterns for his new-build parts, rather than the aircraft itself undergoing work as such. The new parts that I've seen (Ken has a workshop nearby) looked very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
              I forgot what the exact designation was for the prop, but it is different.
              Michael
              northstar blades.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
                Where were the photos taken Scepter?
                South County airport

San Martin,Ca.

Those are some cool looking props on that one.

I've never seen a Mustang tied down next to Cessnas and Pipers.

Comment

The first time I saw this Mustang was from pictures my father and Ritchie took of the plane in the summer of '84. It was in a barn in Oaklahoma (seriously) The tail had been removed in an accident.
                  This was the same year the first CF-BAU was lost after the engine quit just outside of Sudbury Ontario. BAU was lost to the post landing fire.
                  What was left I drove down in the back of the family pick-up. The engine, landing gear...and the tail section. The fire stopped just ahead of the black ADF anttena.
                  Ritchie bought the mustang, shipped it to Saskatoon and rebuilt it. With the tail section from the first BAU.
                  Later that summer my father bought the second "BAU". It was the mustang with the name "OLD BOY" on the nose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Serial #: 44-72826
                  Construction #:
                  122-39285
                  Civil Registration:
                  N6344T
                  C-FBAU
                  N51YS
                  Model: P-51D-25NA
                  Name: None
                  Last info: 2002
                  History:
                  Delivered to RCAF as 9563.
                  - BOC: June 7, 1947.
                  - SOC: Sept. 20, 1960.
                  James H. Defuria & Fred J. Ritts/Intercontinental Airways, Canastota, NY, Feb. 25, 1957-1960.
                  - Registered as N6344T.
                  - Stored in military configuration, Carberry, Manitoba, 1957-1962.
                  Aero Enterprises, Elkhart, IN, May 10, 1960-1962.
                  - Ferried Carberry-Winnipeg-Elkhart, July 1962.
                  John Milton, Edwardsville, IL, May 4, 1964-1973.
                  Max & Danny Ramsay, Johnson, KS, Mar. 31, 1973-1978.
                  Thomas J. Watson, Stowe, VT, Jan. 4, 1978-1985.
                  Dennis J. Bradley/Canadian Warplane Heritage, Hamilton, Ontario, Mar. 1985-1991.
                  - Registered as C-FBAU. Steve C. Collins, Dunwoody, GA/Starke, FL, Nov. 4, 1991-2001.
                  - Registered as N51YS.
                  - Flew as 472826/Old Boy/TJ-W.
                  Marius Maxwell/Mikoyan LLC, Paducah, KY, May 1, 2002.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Very profound... thank you...RB

Comment

Working...
                    X