Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockwave....

...is listed in Trade-A-Plane....

UNLIMITED RACER DESIGNED by Bruce Boland. R-4360 power. Full hydraulic flight controls. Electra prop. 600mph speeds. Darrel Greenameyer

I hope it's OK to link to T-A-P....

Re: Shockwave....

WOW!

I have waited a long time to see some photos of that one!

I sure hope someone can finish that project.

Reever

Comment

DAMMIT...WHERE'S THAT LOTTO TICKET?
      "....com-on baby, daddy needs a new racer......uh...project...."
      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Heh-heh. Funny that someone can quote 600 mph speeds for an aircraft that has never flown, especially considering the fact that no piston/prop propelled airplane has ever reached that velocity. What happened to truth in advertising?

J/K...Anyone know the story as to why it's up for sale? Funds run dry?

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
          Heh-heh. Funny that someone can quote 600 mph speeds for an aircraft that has never flown, especially considering the fact that no piston/prop propelled airplane has ever reached that velocity. What happened to truth in advertising?

They might be planning to go by the design of Cloud dancer for the 600mph speeds.

Jarrod

Comment

Those speeds are the 'computer calculations' that were predicted by Boland back in the early '90's when the project had its genesis. The course was longer back then too. It was also before the current school of thought getting away from the -4360 because it can't be as 'hot rodded' as the -3350 without breaking.

But those things are nothing new. The calculators and slide rules also predicted speeds of 525-550 mph for Tsunami...which never really came close to those ranges.

Half of hangar flying is optimism. The other half is flat-out lies.

Comment

Why can't I ever find what I'm looking for on 'stormers? I've tried every keyword listed in the post and still can't find it. Can anyone help, or PM me with the link?

...because it's on TAP.... One serving of crow coming up!
              Thanks,
              Chris

Comment

Having a nice conversation with yourself, Chris?

Comment

Last I heard, that was Greenameyer's project. One year at Reno there was a scale model of the project in a booth behind the main grandstand.

Reever

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    Got half my time in that!
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

But those things are nothing new. The calculators and slide rules also predicted speeds of 525-550 mph for Tsunami...which never really came close to those ranges.
                      I really think this is unfair to Boland and Tsunami. It's pretty well known that JRS continually meddled with Tsu, even at times when he should've left well-enough alone. I won't go into specifics because you know what they are. But anyways plenty of qualified sources (e.g.-other Unlimited builder/pilots) have said (as recently as last week) that if Tsunami just had a Thorne motor and was allowed to develop according to Boland's plan, she would've easily met her design targets and been the fastest Unlimited ever.

Unfortunately reality is never too kind, and JRS's divergent interests (from Boland's) hampered her performance, and time just flat ran out.
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Those speeds are the 'computer calculations' that were predicted by Boland back in the early '90's when the project had its genesis. The course was longer back then too. It was also before the current school of thought getting away from the -4360 because it can't be as 'hot rodded' as the -3350 without breaking.

So, then this begs the question...Would it be possible to place a, well-prepared, -3350-? in place of the corn cob, or, would the design limits
                        initially laid out be breached? Maybe not....600mph...but it would be bloody-fast...
                        Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Do you know what the difference is between a fairy tale and a pilots story?

A fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time"

A pilots story starts out "Now this is no sh*t"

Comment

Whats wrong with 3800hp all day out of a 4360 in a plane that is much lighter than a Sea Fury and possibly the Bear by the time its finished? Why re-engineer for a 3350?

Comment

Top speeds that engineers come up wth for airplanes are out of a mythical perfect day with a perfect airplane in perfect conditions.

The F-15E's max speed is "Mach 2.5". There's no way in hell, downhill, in a hurricane that the jet can actually go that fast -- yet I see it printed everywhere, so it MUST be true, right?

600 mph? I'd like to smoke what he's smoking....

Comment

Working...
                              X