• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• american special

Enjoy Shawn
    Attached Files

Re: american special

Coll shot! That aircraft has always been one of my favorites. It's so horribly wrong that it's really neat.

Comment

Bob Drew had some interesting experiences in that aircraft...and not a whole lot positive to say about it.

Fast? Yes. Fun? Ehhhh....maybe not.

Comment

Thanks for that Shawn --- now that was a very interesting airplane. Flown by John Parker (yes the same John Parker), crew chief Bill Rogers (BillRo here). Very innovative, with some features resulting from a very careful reading of the class rules as they existed at that time, and I believe causing some of those rules to be rewritten.

Neat airplane, and interesting people. I've always been surprised more hasn't been written about the airplane.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          Bob Drew had some interesting experiences in that aircraft...and not a whole lot positive to say about it.

Fast? Yes. Fun? Ehhhh....maybe not.
          I can imagine it was a handfull.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
            Very innovative, with some features resulting from a very careful reading of the class rules as they existed at that time, and I believe causing some of those rules to be rewritten.
            Not just that, Neal...that was the plane that caused the whole F-1/IXL 'split' when it came out in 1977. Pi$$ed off a LOT of people because while it followed the letter of the rules, it obliterated the spirit and intent of the rules. Your comments are very diplomatic and 'carefully chosen' as well.

As I said, I talked at length with Bob Drew a few years ago about this. He test flew and raced it for the owner in the beginning. Interesting to say the least.

Comment

It would be very interesting to have a properly done interview of Bill Rogers about this one (as well as Bob Drew -- Parker always seems to be more talked about than talking). Also interesting how controversy, often bitter controversy, so often seems to swirl around John Parker. Like I said -- some VERY interesting people...

Comment

they had a mishap at Mojavey at one of the semenairs shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                  they had a mishap at Mojavey at one of the semenairs shawn
                  Drew was flying it at the time...and it was after that incident that he walked away, swearing never to have anything to do with the plane again.

Yet it went on to be VERY successful at Reno. As I said...fast, but not very fun.

Comment

Also interesting how controversy, often bitter controversy, so often seems to swirl around John Parker. Like I said -- some VERY interesting people...
                    Careful, Neal...

I got beyatch-slapped pretty hard on this site a few years ago for pointing that out during the whole 'RARA/invitational' snafu. I don't know if the cows are still sacred or not.

Comment

It would be very interesting to have a properly done interview of Bill Rogers about this one (as well as Bob Drew -- Parker always seems to be more talked about than talking). Also interesting how controversy, often bitter controversy, so often seems to swirl around John Parker. Like I said -- some VERY interesting people...
                      Parker is an extremely intellegent and very misunderstood man.. He not only thinks outside of the box, he threw the box away!

I don't think his piloting skills are really well analized either. I still swear, you could put a camera with a fixed position on a tripod, set a timer and get a shot of John on each lap he flies.

His Sport venture this year should be, at least, very interesting.

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Drew was flying it at the time...and it was after that incident that he walked away, swearing never to have anything to do with the plane again.
                        Bob did continue to fly #3 after the Mojave seminar incident, he raced it at Reno 1978. He probably raced it at Mojave in October of 1978 as well, I would have to dig through my files to verify. The plane was initially known as "Wild Turkey", the "American Spl." name did not appear until 1979 when Parker started racing it.

Not just that, Neal...that was the plane that caused the whole F-1/IXL 'split' when it came out in 1977. Pi$$ed off a LOT of people because while it followed the letter of the rules, it obliterated the spirit and intent of the rules. Your comments are very diplomatic and 'carefully chosen' as well.
                        There was much more involved in the USARA F-1/IXL split than one controversial race plane/pilot. Parker and #3 were certainly part of it, but the issues behind the split were many and a long time in the making.

Comment

Not meant as any sort of criricism -- I know Mr. Parker a bit, and I absolutely love to watch him operate, on and off the racecourse. He is without a doubt one of the all time great racers in many ways. Brings to mind Cote, Greenamyer, Holm, McClain, Aberle, Shelton, Destefani. Not a warm fuzzy sort among them -- and some are not even particularly nice people, but they are all fascinating people and all great racers with records to prove it. Which does not change the fact that every one of them has had careers with plenty of anger and controversy frequently swirling around them.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                            Parker is an extremely intellegent and very misunderstood man.. He not only thinks outside of the box, he threw the box away!

I don't think his piloting skills are really well analized either. I still swear, you could put a camera with a fixed position on a tripod, set a timer and get a shot of John on each lap he flies.

His Sport venture this year should be, at least, very interesting.

Do you mean adventure, or is John parker racing a Venture this year?
                            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                              As I recall, the purpose of IF1 is to "Advance and Promote the Art and Science of Air Racing." It seems to me that, if John Parker could design and build an airplane to meet the rules and then beat people with it, then he is living up to the spirit of the organization far better than people who say: "this new design is beating us... let's outlaw it."

Comment

Working...
                              X