Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting News!

THE GALLOPING GHOST HAS RETURNED!

Remember a few weeks ago when I said that it would take a miracle for the Galloping Ghost to make it to Reno this year? Well, a miracle may have happened. Last week, the Ghost was moved to Dave Goss's GossHawk Unlimited Vintage/Warbird Restoration and Maintenance center in Arizona, where Mr. Goss's crew is going full throttle (pardon the pun) to get the Ghost ready for this years National Air Races. This year is special because it is the 60th anniversary of the first year that the Galloping Ghost raced in the Cleveland National Air Races. Also, we are hoping to make it to the 2007 Gathering of Mustangs & Legends in Columbus, Ohio.
    Secondly, we will have some surprises in store for you, that we may reveal at a later time. I have one of them hidden in the photo below. 5 pts for whoever can find it and tell me a history of it.

Re: Exciting News!

Great to hear that you are guys are going to have it in Reno!!! and thanks for the update Ryan.

Comment

WOW.....Great news Ryan.Can't wait to see it!

Comment

sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Comment

Great news. I was there in 1947 as a waxer/whatever for Jimmy De Santo at the age of 15. Jimmy was the self taught unlimited race pilot who later bailed out of the Curtis P60E. Is it going to be race modified or as the original "Galloping Ghost"? Maybe with a boiloff system?
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Race modified.

Comment

Is that the fuse in the background with a new race canopy on it? The wings are being profiled, so they won't be bare metal. This is a SERIOUS go-fast effort!
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

That's killer Ryan, keep the updates coming. I sure would like to have another plane from the southeast racing.

Comment

Originally posted by race9
                  [Secondly, we will have some surprises in store for you, that we may reveal at a later time. I have one of them hidden in the photo below. 5 pts for whoever can find it and tell me a history of it.

Uh...the old wingtips from Stiletto (circa 1992) sitting on the top of the shelf in the background?

Z decided on the 'super cut' wings for Jeannie in '83...but sold her to Grandpa Jimmy that summer. Stiletto was created with the same 'short' wings (not clipped at the standard production break, but actually a permanent 'cut' of the wing spar, down to the first aileron hinge)

Unfortunately, in the time since, the course was shortened, and shortened, and...and...and. And now a 'short wing' racing Mustang mushes out in the turns...so the new wingtips were put on Stiletto during the 'boil-off' rebuild in 89-92 to lengthen the span and provide a bit more aileron control.

Similar in shape to the tips on MAII.

Am I close? I mean, the pic is pretty poor quality, and it is pretty early in the morning.....

Comment

Nope, Peashooter is closer. What canopy is it?

Comment

Originally posted by race9
                      Nope, Peashooter is closer. What canopy is it?
                      At least humor me and confirm that those are the old Stiletto wingtips sitting on the shelf? There are not that many wingtips that look like that. They were specifically designed to fit the short wings of Stiletto and Jeannie/LARS.

Comment

I can't tell. I'm at school right now and can't see the picture. But I can tell you we are not using them, at least not this year.

Comment

voodoo or sumthin else

Comment

Oh, I know....Critical Mass??????

Sorry....couldn't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                              Could it be the one that someone said was in Tiger's possession?
                              That would be stiletto's

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                              X