About Boise Last Weekend......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Boise Last Weekend......

I was in Boise this last weekend and took my Dad to the Warhawk Museum's P-38 Days. It was great. Steve Hinton was there with the POF P-38, as well as "Stilleto" aka Diamondback, one of JP's P-40 and a T-28 which for some reason I failed to get more than a few pieces of in pictures. Steve flew the P-38 for a few passes over the museum and then they all formed up for a couple of formation flybys. It was cool. I had forgotten how quiet a P-38 is while it's sitting there after starting up. Anyways, I thought I would share a few pics. If anyone is ever in Boise and you are looking for something to do, drop by John and Sue Paul's Museum at the Nampa airport. It is a wonderful place and they really have done a nice job with all of the memorabilia from the veterans that have donated. Additionally, there were a couple of vets there who had flown the P-38, although I didn't get their names. The P-51C, (I think it is being restored as the Boise Bee), the other P-40, and the F-86 under restoration were cool too. Bob Cardin, project director for the recovery and restoration of Glacier Girl gave a slide show and presentation as well. Very very cool. So, without further ado.........
    PS: had to toss in the picture of my 6' 9th grade Jenny Finch wannabe
    Attached Files
    Never mind. Maybe next year

Re: About Boise Last Weekend......

Ack!!!! Get that TF-51 out of there.

Blasphemy to have it taking up space on this site, I tell you...

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
      Warning the following is

Well Mike C and the gals had another great season here in the Ol' Pueblo. UoA is a pretty good school. CoL isn't too bad. Tell her coach to send Mike a note.....and tell her winters in Tucson are much nicer than those at UoW or WSU campus locales.

/

BTW... thanks for the pics, although I gotta side with Speedy on the TF issue.
      The mistake you're making here is that Bill would actually be able to let her GO to school that far away. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
        Ack!!!! Get that TF-51 out of there.

Blasphemy to have it taking up space on this site, I tell you...
        Sorry man, too late to edit. You'll just have to suffer I guess :

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
          Warning the following is

Well Mike C and the gals had another great season here in the Ol' Pueblo. UoA is a pretty good school. CoL isn't too bad. Tell her coach to send Mike a note.....and tell her winters in Tucson are much nicer than those at UoW or WSU campus locales.

/

BTW... thanks for the pics, although I gotta side with Speedy on the TF issue.
          No problem with the pics. I was kind of wondering what kind of response that would get with the TF. Sorry about that and I'll try to remember that in the future.

I AM her coach during the summer. I will see if she is still interested after another year and if she is, you better believe the letters will fly, HAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
            Sorry man, too late to edit. You'll just have to suffer I guess :
            Oh, you loved it....

Besides, I know if I had been there, I would have gone up to old N332, made sure nobody was around, petted her a bit, and told her that there were some of us out there that knew her true identity and still loved her 'inside'.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              Oh, you loved it....

Besides, I know if I had been there, I would have gone up to old N332, made sure nobody was around, petted her a bit, and told her that there were some of us out there that knew her true identity and still loved her 'inside'.
              You are without a doubt......... well, just so you know, not too many people were paying attention to her, and I did go up and give her a little caress on the prop and told her that I remembered. I could have sworn I heard a little snort as I was walking away.........

Comment

Got to ride in DBack when Bob Jepson owned her. I'd have to say that I might have heard her sigh also when I reminded her who she really was.

Comment

Stop it guys, you're creepin' me out.

Comment

It's a beautiful airplane and has a very good home if that makes you feel any better.

Comment

I think we need to remember Stiletto for what she was, and accept Diamondback as what she is -- a flawless, well-flown, "new" Mustang. She no longer even has the same N number, and no more than a few forgings from the racer we all loved. I spent some time with the owner this weekend at Nampa and he is a good guy and really loves his airplane. Besides, from the right of view she is really quite a stunning lady!

The Wingman

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                        I think we need to remember Stiletto for what she was, and accept Diamondback as what she is
                        Now if the new owner would bring Stiletto to Reno with a race motor and clipped wings.Maybe then we could move on.

btw Neal thanks for sharing the pic.

Comment

And another. The right point of view in this case was the Paul family's P-40N, known to race fans as "Spud Lag". Not the word's greatest photo plane, and a very limited opportunity to shoot as photos were not the reason for the flight, but a wonderful opportunity for a few minutes in a national treasure. I think I will happily take a flight in a P-40 with mediocre photos over a flight in almost anything else with great photos, anytime. I've loved Curtiss Hawks since I was a little kid, and last weekend did not change that one bit!

Neal

Comment

WOW!!! She is REALLY looking great!

Thanks Neal for sharing.

Interesting back door on her... heh

Comment

And many many thanks to John Curtiss Paul (John Jr.) for making the flight happen (twice actually, as the morning flight had to be limited to a very abbreviated circuit with no formation flying at all due to a lost exhaust stack).

There sure are a lot of first names in that family. John Jr's middle name also reflects his Dad's passion for P-40s!

And, by the way, John Curtiss posts occasionally here as "JCP"...

Comment

Working...
                              X