Before and After

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and After

With the interest in John Paul and Tom Camp's p-40's, here's a before and after of Tom Camps.
    The first was taken at Travis, the weekend of the Lincoln Air Races as i remember. Lots of cool stuff at the show. Iron Mistress, Bob Loves Pacific Military Museum P-51, Blue Max and both P-40's.
    The second was taken later, I'd guess 79 or 80 at another Travis show.
    Attached Files
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: Before and After

over Thankgivingweekend John Paul Tom camp had a warbird gathering with about a dosen of warbirds around california and the Bay area i rember Gary Harris in his French corsair some B-25 came and one year they had John crocker B-26 and John Herlery came.

i try to get some pictures from my dad to put up Shawn

Comment

Anti-Fudpucker Fly-In.

Comment

Originally posted by JCP
        Anti-Fudpucker Fly-In.
        Was Schafhausen not invited? Wasn't he the Fudpucker guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
          over Thankgivingweekend John Paul Tom camp had a warbird gathering with about a dosen of warbirds around california and the Bay area i rember Gary Harris in his French corsair some B-25 came and one year they had John crocker B-26 and John Herlery came.

i try to get some pictures from my dad to put up Shawn
          MMMMMM....Gary Harris' Corsair was GORGEOUS, and even better, the French Navy markings really made it stand out from the 'then-current' crop of Baa Baa Blacksheep clone paint jobs.

Somewhere at home I have a pic of the Corsair, the Sanders old #232, and Hoover's Mustang all parked next to one another with the respective pilots all standing in front of the Corsair talking with Bill Brubaker who was one of the announcers for the Paine Field Air Fair up here in the '70's.

Comment

Schafhausen had Fudpucker World Airways, shirts and all. I remember when AC did their article on the restoration of Cripes a Mighty they gave his Reg as NL921. 921 was code (remember the 900 code?) for "Mustangs are as thick as &%$#@ weeds"
            I'll do some digging tonight, I have shots of Harris' corsair.
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Hey Leo how are theese photoes by my dad Shawn
              Attached Files

Comment

Ooooh, I'd recognize those hangars anytime. Moffett Field.

Nice stuff, Shawn.

You know, at the time it came out, Schafhausen's Mustang was the most incredible restoration I can ever recall seeing. By today's standards, it's probably pretty tame, though.

Gotta love the shot of N100DD too. :-)

Comment

I sure thought so. There have been so many of then much better since. He and Elmer Ward's "Man O' War" were the ones that seemed to start the trend toward true markings and details.
                  Nice shots Shawn! Thanks!
                  For some reason N100D, the year she was at reno "testing" the Tsunami engine, 82?, was mu favorite plane. Just something about the paint job.
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                    I sure thought so. There have been so many of then much better since. He and Elmer Ward's "Man O' War" were the ones that seemed to start the trend toward true markings and details.
                    Nice shots Shawn! Thanks!
                    For some reason N100D, the year she was at reno "testing" the Tsunami engine, 82?, was mu favorite plane. Just something about the paint job.
                    When the "rookie" Jim Orton put her through her paces....mmmmm....that was nice. He was one hell of a stick. Would have liked to have seen what things 'might have been' if he was still around. Still brings back fond memories of the best single race ever at Reno....Saturday's heat 2B. Bob Love in the "Jello Mold Special", Orton in "Tipsy Too", Skip in "Shangri-La" (who did remarkably well, considering the stowaway), and I THINK Mike Wright in "Habu"--subbing for a sick Earl Ketchen.

I know the mind embellishes things over time, but I can still go look at my pictures from that race...and yes, it really was that close.

Only bad thing about it was Danny Martin's big time "oops".

The following year was when Chuck Hall put "Tipsy Too" down in Lemmon Valley.

Comment

As I'm from the other side of the atlantic I'm really not knowledgeable about all the little details here. I remember getting some 2nd hand Air Classics in the early 1980's, and they had advertisements for Fudpucker caps and stuff. I still don't have a clue what that is all about, but trust some of you will enlighten me on the subject.

T J

Comment

I forgot that was the year Ridge Runner went four wheeling.
                        When Chuck Hall put it down in Lemmon Valley I don't think many knew. We heard the "pop" when he went bye, then heard it the commotion on the radios. The crowd was not told if I remember, he just never came back!
                        Was'nt it Jim Orton that used to wheelstand "Sentimental Journey" in front of the stands?
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                          When the "rookie" Jim Orton put her through her paces....mmmmm....that was nice. He was one hell of a stick. Would have liked to have seen what things 'might have been' if he was still around. Still brings back fond memories of the best single race ever at Reno....Saturday's heat 2B. Bob Love in the "Jello Mold Special", Orton in "Tipsy Too", Skip in "Shangri-La" (who did remarkably well, considering the stowaway), and I THINK Mike Wright in "Habu"--subbing for a sick Earl Ketchen.

I know the mind embellishes things over time, but I can still go look at my pictures from that race...and yes, it really was that close.

Only bad thing about it was Danny Martin's big time "oops".

The following year was when Chuck Hall put "Tipsy Too" down in Lemmon Valley.

Oh no,
                          I don't believe your mind has embellished that race! It was the best and tightest air race of Unlimited's I have ever seen, then or since. All of the airplanes were good for about 380, and they all were flown by guys very good at what they were doing, and aggressively at that. I remember phoning my Dad from Stead and telling him it was like a tight F-1 race.
                          My recall matches yours very closely!

As for Dan's accident, I have never heard a Merlin sound like that under power, ever. Someone told me he was turning 4 grand, any knowledge about that? Too bad about all of those F-82 props through the years.
                          Chris...

Comment

Fudpucker Airlines.....Round the World sense it was Square. The logo on his products.

Comment

Originally posted by spinner
                              Fudpucker Airlines.....Round the World sense it was Square. The logo on his products.
                              Just to clarify, the logo world map (globe) was also square.

Now then, before someone points out that globes are round, this one was, in fact, square. Remember your high school geometry... pie are square, (cake are round) no matter what you've experienced in the real world.

Also, was it Fudpucker Airlines or Fudpucker World Airways? Hmmm, must have destroyed part of that memory bank one night after the hangar door was closed.

Comment

Working...
                              X