For those of you who live in Boise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who live in Boise...

So, just about everyday, I hear a certain sound. A sound that makes all of the die hards look towards the heavens. A sound that makes me jump to me feet and head outside. You all know the sound I am talking about...a big bad Merlin in the pattern. I just happen to live and work directly under the Westerly (is that a word?) approach to the Boise Airport. And, just about everyday, I hear that spine tingling, neck hair raising sound of a fine tuned Merlin saddled into a P-51 frame on the way to BOI. My question is this: Who owns this trusty steed? From what I can gather, it is painted in period specific paint and I have never (to my knowledge) seen it up close. Anyone who might know of this steed or have any information of it, please come forward; it will help quench and calm my unfulfilled need of Spetember sounds and smells. Thanks a ton!!!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: For those of you who live in Boise...

I would assume it's this plane...

"Diamondback"

Comment

Dude, what time of day do you generally see it. I live in Meridian and have never seen it or heard it. Also, there is a possiblity that it may be Val Halla. Anders commutes into Boise frequently for the Air National Guard. It's usually parked at Western Aircraft while here. I saw it in the A-10 hanger last fall when he had to leave it becuase of thunderstorms. I understand his father has a lot of clout to enable him to put it into an active airforce hanger. My understanding anyway.

Comment

It is Mark Peterson (not the car guy) flying Diamondback. He's been out and about the same time I've had the P-40 up.

FYI.. Steve Hinton is bringing in the POF P-38 up to the Warhawk Air Museum in Nampa, ID this Thurs. for our event this weekend (May 5-6). Bob Cardon will also be here to give his presentation on the recovery and restoration of Glacier Girl.

We will be flying the P-38, P-40, T-28 and numerous T-6's throughout the weekend.

Visit the Warhawk Air Museum, a military history museum in Nampa, Idaho for historic Warbirds and war planes and personal memorabilia from the American experience of WWI, WWII, Vietnam and Korea.

Comment

Is it Mark Peterson, the Micron guy?

Comment

Originally posted by JCP
            It is Mark Peterson (not the car guy) flying Diamondback. He's been out and about the same time I've had the P-40 up.

FYI.. Steve Hinton is bringing in the POF P-38 up to the Warhawk Air Museum in Nampa, ID this Thurs. for our event this weekend (May 5-6). Bob Cardon will also be here to give his presentation on the recovery and restoration of Glacier Girl.

We will be flying the P-38, P-40, T-28 and numerous T-6's throughout the weekend.

www.warhawkairmuseum.org
            WELL! I'm thinkin I will just have to attend. I shall be in Boise for the weekend. I think I can even get my Dad to attend one more airshow. Maybe it will give him a little boost to his already frail condition. He has taken numerous GrandKids to that show over the years and he even rode with me on my 78 R100RS Beemer back in the 80's. So there ya go. Sounds like a plan.
            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

" I understand his father has a lot of clout to enable him to put it into an active airforce hanger. My understanding anyway."

Val Halla and the Anders family are heavy into the Heritage Flights, so maybe THAT is why the plane is hangared, rather than "clout". And why shouldn't he?
              Betty

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB
                " I understand his father has a lot of clout to enable him to put it into an active airforce hanger. My understanding anyway."

Val Halla and the Anders family are heavy into the Heritage Flights, so maybe THAT is why the plane is hangared, rather than "clout". And why shouldn't he?
                Betty
                From my interaction with Gen. Anders, he tends to downplay his 'Son, I've been to the moon' experiences. One of the more 'quiet' Apollo astronaut/former Gen. Dynamics CEO's, if you know what I mean.

Hacker flew with Greg...said he's pretty low key as well.

Comment

A year ago when I was in FL @ Stallion 51, Diamondback
                  (TF-51,former race #84 Stilletto) was in their hanger.

Comment

Betty[/QUOTE]

Sorry Betty. I in no way intended for that to be negative. I have a very high respect for Mr. Anders. I had hoped to meet him when i went out to see the plane but he was already gone. My friend that works at the base spoke very highly of him and his father.

rob

Comment

Drmull is correct. It is Diamondback that you see and hear. Apparently Mark Peterson just put a new engine in it about a month ago. It flew today at the warkawk museum P-38 event. Looks and sounds awesome. As did 23 skidoo.

Comment

Val Halla was in Hollister for a while and left last thursday.

Comment

Working...
                        X