Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380 evacuation

873 people in 77 seconds!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Re: A380 evacuation

Originally posted by laminar
    That thing empties out almost as fast as Airbus' order book!

Comment

LOL

On that same note, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner has set an aviation record 'The 787 Dreamliner is the fastest-selling airplane in aviation history, with firm orders for 544 airplanes from 44 airlines.'

An amazing job considering the first plane hasn't been but together yet.

Lonnie

Comment

That's great if they only allow 30somethings to fly on it.......
        but how long would it take with old people, handicapped, and kids?

Comment

So very true, I didn't see even one slighted hindered person or a child that would need to be tended to. Could we call that a false positive?

Lonnie

Comment

There is a word for that, MARKETING.
            Tony

Comment

Oh, and did someone forget to mention that was on the third try? A little practice always helps.

Comment

These "super jumbos" have always bothered me, based on the all-your-eggs-in-one-basket theory. Accidents happen, and it's a lot of souls in one place.
                Based on how many people actually pay attention to the pre-flight lecture and have even the slightest idea of how to get out, 7.7 minutes seems more realistic.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Well, yeah...you can pick it apart all you want. Everyone 'knew' what to do, it took place in a safe place (hangar), albeit in the dark with the lights out. But there was no fire, no smoke, no iminent danger...and when THOSE factors are thrown into it, along with the children, handicapped, aged, etc....then one slip up can ruin your whole day.

And I've personally been in situations where you can practice an emergency until the cows come home, be so comfortable with the procedures that you can do it in your sleep...and yet the first time that engine catches fire FOR REAL...and the smoke and flames are all there in brilliant technicolor...well, panic and andrenaline have a tendency to set in, and you have to FORCE yourself to follow your procedures.

Regardless of all that, it is still an impressive display of evacuating 'the ark' in a very short, orderly time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                    Based on how many people actually pay attention to the pre-flight lecture and have even the slightest idea of how to get out, 7.7 minutes seems more realistic.

Quite possibly one of my biggest pet peeves. But that's most likely from just my flying background where my life depended on knowing what to do when it all went to hell, and I was responsible for the other 12 guys I was with.

But you know what? As long as I can get out of the airliner, and drag my kids along with me to safety...then quite possibly the dolt in seat 13A who was listening to his headphones, typing on his laptop, loudly b.s.'ing with the lady next to him, or reading the Wall Street Journal while the F.A.'s were giving the safety briefing, deserves to go up in flames or drown as the plane goes under the waves.

"I know how a seatbelt works....."

Comment

I'd agree on both points. Very impressive to see that many people do anything together in 77 seconds!
                      On the other side, I've seen how easy it would be for that all to come apart in ANY aircraft. I was once on a Western Airlines Electra (I was 11) from SFO to Ontario when the #1 engine slowed to a stop. I watched it with detached interest, I knew we were safe (my dad worked for Lockheed and loved that plane) but some idiot behind me had a fit and got most of the plane upset and it took the stewardess the rest of the flight to calm everyone down, and that was a non-event. When we finally landed everyone just wanted OFF.
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

At over three hours on one engine, I was on what was then, and may still be the longest single engine overwater emergency flight (ETOPS = Engines Turn or People Swim). I pretty much figured while the airplane was sinking people would fighting to get their carry on luggage out of the bins. 77 seconds to empty any airliner is nothing more than a PR stunt. I took it as given, if we hit the water panic would set in and almost no one would get out.
                        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                          I was once on a Western Airlines Electra (I was 11) from SFO to Ontario when the #1 engine slowed to a stop. I watched it with detached interest, I knew we were safe (my dad worked for Lockheed and loved that plane) but some idiot behind me had a fit and got most of the plane upset and it took the stewardess the rest of the flight to calm everyone down, and that was a non-event.
                          Well, if you're going to lose an engine on an Electra, than #1 was the best to lose. Heck...not even a generator on #1. That was the one we always feathered when we loitered on station.

Maybe that was it, Leo...maybe the flight crew was trying to save fuel! :-)

Now, if the prop had failed to feather.....then hold on Nellie! Ask Air Race Addict about runaway props on that airframe. I went through school with a guy in VP-47 who literally lost the entire engine off the airframe because the prop wouldn't feather, oversped the engine, caught it on fire, and took out the hydraulic and fuel lines on the way out. Left them with 800 shaft on the #3 engine to fly on, since 2 and 4 flamed out due to fuel starvation. Went from 16,000 AGL to water impact in 89 seconds. But the old girl held fast. The only guy who got wet was the F.E. who slipped and got his boots ankle deep in the water while egressing into the life raft. I think that hulk inded up as a fire fighting trainer at Fujara in the UAE.

Comment

Funniest part was about 15 minutes out of Ontario (the whole flight was less than an hour and a half) the pilot told us we were going to land at LAX due to a "mechanical". We circled LAX for almost an hour before "diverting" to Ontario due to traffic...Guess it was'nt much of an emergency to them either!
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                              Funniest part was about 15 minutes out of Ontario (the whole flight was less than an hour and a half) the pilot told us we were going to land at LAX due to a "mechanical". We circled LAX for almost an hour before "diverting" to Ontario due to traffic...Guess it was'nt much of an emergency to them either!
                              Well, 'losing' an engine (as opposed to loitering one) IS abort/emergency criteria. Most likely, though, had to dump fuel to get down to minimum weight?

Comment

Working...
                              X