John Paul's Sneak Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Paul's Sneak Attack!

We've really been enjoying all the pictures that Neil has been posting of the Paul family and their aircraft. I was lucky enough to grow up in Livermore, and always thought John's E model was the coolest thing going! In my opinion there isn't another E model P-40 out there today, that can match the attitude and looks of "Sneak Attack".

I can't think of a more fun family then the Paul’s! The stories are priceless! LOL! Somebody really needs to write a book on these guys! Here's a shot of the tail art that totally corrupted me as a kid... probably one of the reasons I've always had a thing for hot blondes and am now married to one! LOL! I have many more pictures from the 70's and 80's that I can post if anyone is interested... keep those pics coming Neil!

Cheers!

Jim and Nicole Pera
    Attached Files

Re: John Paul's Sneak Attack!

Hi guys -- Here's the other side of the rudder...

And she still is about the coolest thing going, far as I'm concerned.

And by the way -- if anybody happens to see 23 Skidoo heading North this week, Steve's bringing her up to the Paul family museum show in Nampa Idaho next week. Should be a nice show -- Steve and the rest of the warbirds up twice a day...

Here's the museum, click on the banner for the show next weekend.

Visit the Warhawk Air Museum, a military history museum in Nampa, Idaho for historic Warbirds and war planes and personal memorabilia from the American experience of WWI, WWII, Vietnam and Korea.

[IMG]

Comment

Great shots Neil!!! Is that one of the Paul's station wagons in the background of the tail shot? LOL! I have a few air to air pics that I'll dig up and scan. Do you have any pictures of "Sneak Attack" with Hoveys mustang?.... those two airplanes always looked really good together!

Cheers!

Jim and Nicole

Comment

how is this but not with the P-40 Shawn
        Attached Files

Comment

And Tom Camp's P-40 (ex Gil Macy machine, I still have the Nut Tree poster of it in my garage) in the background before he got rid of that atrocious canopy.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
            And Tom Camp's P-40 (ex Gil Macy machine, I still have the Nut Tree poster of it in my garage) in the background before he got rid of that atrocious canopy.
            That was the first thing I noticed too. I think that was the Tallmantz P-40 before Tom Camp got it.

Comment

The 2 of them showed up at every show I went to for a couple of yeras in the mid-70's.
              I remember when Tom put her back into "stock" shape. Flew over my house and I nearly wrecked getting to Nut Tree to see it. I'll see if I can dig up before and after shots.
              "Sneak Attack" was everywhere at that time. I had met Steve Seghetti and annoyed him I'm sure with my presence at every chance. He was rebuilding "Curtissauraus Rex" which John Paul had dug out of a farmers field in Canada and it seemed "Sneak Attack" was visiting a lot.
              At that time I think it was the best P-40 flying, at least on the west coast.
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                Is the Nut Tree poster the one with a race number and a four bladed prop installed? Do you know the story behind that configuration?
                Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  That was the first thing I noticed too. I think that was the Tallmantz P-40 before Tom Camp got it.

"The" Tallmantz P-40? I seem to remember there being about six of them through the years!
                  Chris...

Comment

That's the photo. Strange camo job also. There was a series of phot's and captions outlining it's history in an Air Classics Quartely Review in the early 70's. I don't have easy access to mine now, still boxed from the last move. I seem to remember it had that canopy and a second seat installed when it was owned by Continental buildings in the 60's. Don't know the story on the prop.
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Maybe i can get a few pics this weekend at the museum. I din't know there was anything going on. I noticed in the schedule of events that they are not having the P-51 invitational this year. very disappointing. THat was always a good time.

Comment

Good stuff Shawn!!! Does anyone have any of these two planes together?

Comment

Found one of "Sneak Attack" and Hoveys Mustang together... this picture was taken by our friend Jim Waters. What's Waters been up to lately JCP?
                          Attached Files

Comment

was that before it went over to England? shawn

Comment

Believe it was Shawn... this was my first P-40 flight!

Comment

Working...
                              X