Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posted at Ron B.'s request. (a serious post!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posted at Ron B.'s request. (a serious post!)

Last week I told a story to Ron Buccarelli about a photo shoot I was on many years ago.

I usually don't tell the story, but once told and spread to Wayner there was a threat to disclose some compromising pictures if I didn't tell the story here.

So:

I was on a video assignment to shoot a Cessna 177 from a Piper Lance (back door off) for an accident reconstruction.

After a time and with one marginal sequence in the can I looked out of the viewfinder to see flames going past the door.

Alarmed by this turn of events I enquired with the Pilot who was apparently surprised to find me still in the aircraft:

On Intercom:

Jerry: "Should I jump?"
    Pilot: "I thought you left a long time ago."
    Jerry: "OK, You should get out of there too, I'm gone."

I am looking up into the cockpit to see the windshield melting in and the pilot getting up.

I do a 1 turn somersault out of the plane and put Issac Newton into the drivers seat.

Camera under my arm of course. (I'm replaceable, the camera costs MONEY !)

Pull the ring and am greeted by the Fisher Price My First Parachute, Parachute.

Convinced I'm going to make a crater I focus now on not having my hips meet my shoulders by bending my knees and rolling with it.

Painful, but alive landing for both myself and the Pilot.

Now, I usually don't wear a parachute on Photo Flights.

I got a vibe from my examination of my perch in the back of the Lance: Any of the floor panels could have been removed without the aid of a tool due to the corrosion around the fasteners.

I asked for the 'chute.

Now Ron's idea is to have some thinner "emergency" chutes designed for us photo types.

I still go with my gut, but now that I'm older, something about a ounce of prevention and all that.

Wayner will now post the picture of me in the back of Bossman (barely fitting due to the size of my borrowed parachute pack, and my ah... largeness).

I will have to locate (please give me some extended time here) the frame or two I have from the camera on the way out of the fireball.

What, you expected me to jump with the camera stopped!

OK Ron, I've told my tale, now have I got a favor to ask of you
    Jerry Beck II
    Director of Photography
    1st. Asst. Director
    Thunder Over Reno

Re: Posted at Ron B.'s request. (a serious post!)

[QUOTE=TOR_DP]
    I am looking up into the cockpit to see the windshield melting in and the pilot getting up.

I do a 1 turn somersault out of the plane and put Issac Newton into the drivers seat.

Are you sure it wasn't the 'over-sized nards' that didn't cause the aft CG
    moment? Sure glad that one's behind you and the 'serious-aerial- incident' box has been checked off!!!!!

I never ceased to be amazed at the number of people here who 'fall-off the horse' and get right back up!!! Good on ya!
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Re: Posted at Ron B.'s request. (a serious post!)

This is just a reply to keep this alive until I find time to cap the clip of the burning lance...

Boy, take that sentence out of context...

Jerry Beck II
      Director of Photography
      1st. Asst. Director
      Thunder Over Reno

Comment

Working...
      X