Site Down Today?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Down Today?????

I was in transit today but got a call from a client on my cell telling me that he couldn't reach any sites on the server... including AAFO.COM....

This would have been around 3:55 PM Pacific, today, Friday the 20th...

I'm sure the server was not down, as I get a text message whenever it is...

What I'm not sure is... were there routing problems at the server farm, or somewhere between where the client was and where the server is..

This happens sometimes and is really *nobody's* falut...

But..

I gotta try my best to track this stuff..

Anyone here notice any downtime today around that time of day??

TIA!!

Wayner
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Site Down Today?????

It might have been around then, Not 100% sure of the time. But I did get a message saying the sight was not availible.

I have been getting this message for quite a bit the last few weeks. It is only AAFO. I thought you have been doing some work to it, so didnt say anything.

It usualy doesnt last long (just a few minutes if that). But one day last week I think it was, it was down for about 30 minutes.

If it happens again I will record the time and the exact error message.

Hope this helps

Wolfee

Comment

I popped by a number of times today, but I didn't notice any outages.

If it was down at 3:55, then it was somewhat brief. I notice at least one post was made around 4:18 pm today.

Comment

It was, likely, "routing" issues. I use a third party spam filter. All mail to me comes into the aafo server but is immediately forwarded to the filter company server. I show messages almost every five minutes all during that time frame.

The outage a week or so ago was due to a goof at the server farm...

We're located at a Datacenter in Houston. Been with the company there since they rented servers out of a "caged colo"... it grew to two VERY high tech DC's. Had a one on one with the founder (we all did) He had a heart attack a while back from the stress of all of it (HUGE growth, remade the entire dedicated server market!) He has a loving wife a new kid, lots of bucks.. truly the American dream come true... end of era.. he sold the company and it's now in new hands.

I'm watching VERY closely!

We have enjoyed an exceptional ride with the former company since late in 2000. A fire that destroyed the utility power to the DC in 2003 caused nary a blip as the power instantly switched to UPS, then over to the on-site generation system... when that system showed that it might overheat due to the demand, they brought on some semi-truck sized remote power generation systems. We went about a week on this power system while the utility grid was repaired. NOBODY noticed a thing and I'd have never known if they had not told me! That truly is only one of many amazing stories of the amazing company we've been with all this time.

Now.. under new ownership.... I am watching very closely to ensure that we remain at the connectivity and service levels we've enjoyed for years.

No DC "Server Farm" can offer much higher than 99.9% uptime.. but figure it out.. over a 365 day year, that comes in at a pretty large amount of minutes of "down time"..

On my leased server, along with AAFO.COM, reside several other pretty high profile websites that help provide the income necessary to keep AAFO alive... Uptime here is REALLY important!

With the former owner, we enjoyed a pretty much (with one server) unprecedented 100% uptime.. save for the time or two that I personally porked things.. (hides head)

Anyway...

Please, any time you get an error message.... lemme know. If you know how to do a traceroute.. DO IT.. send me copy of results.. My plan is to keep this server and all sites that reside on it some of the most responsive and FAST websites on the net! NO WAIT TIME! I hate lag.. seconds waiting for a site to load don't cut it!

Thanks all!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
        X