65 Years Ago Today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Years Ago Today...

A group of 16 B-25B Mitchell bombers, under the command of Lt. Colonel James Doolittle, took off from the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Hornet to bomb Tokyo.

I'm sure everyone here knows the history, but Wikipedia seemed to have some pretty comprehensive information on the raid. Makes for interesting reading:

Only 14 of the original Raiders are still alive now. Oldest is 94 and youngest is 84. One of my enduring wishes has always been to meet one (or more) of the Raiders and say thanks. Sure hope I get the chance to.

To the Doolittle Raiders!
    Mark Johnson
    Strega Fan since 1997

Re: 65 Years Ago Today...

Ditto, I couldn't agree more.

Lonnie

Comment

The annual Raiders reunion is in San Antonio, TX this year and is underway as we speak (type).

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
        Oh yeah - I remember.

You wore white after labor day last year.

GASP!!!! (As Brad faints to the floor....) No.....not that.......

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          GASP!!!! (As Brad faints to the floor....) No.....not that.......

*in my best Rick Moranis Dark Helmet voice*

YES.....THAT!

Comment

I met a few in what was a really cool experience. I was able to go out when they had the Doolittle 50th launch off of San Diego. It was quite an experience. My contact was Carl Scholl but when I checked in my name wasn't on the list. The Navy guy told me to find Carl and have him sign me in. I wandered around but was unable to locate him but hey, I was already onboard so no big deal. Later on I was tapped on the shoulder and I turned around to find the same Navy guy with several others in Whites wondering why I hadn't returned. I was able to BS through that so I wasn't thrown off.
            I had some friends who slept in a cabin onboard. We were on the walkway off the side of the flight deck. One asked the other for the keys to their cabin and as he handed them over he dropped them. The catwalk had a open mesh deck that the keys slipped through and went splash.
            The Launch of the 3 B-25s was incredible. The quickness of the carrier as it accelerated and how you had to lean into the wind was surprising.
            It was an awesome day.
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
              True courage, like we rarely see in a lifetime.
              Not to diminish the courage of General Dolittle and his airmen, but I actually see monumental courage and heroism like this all the time. Brave men and women are doing the j-o-b every day in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In my current work-up for deployment, I've had the chance to watch and listen to numerous videos of close-air-support engagements that are happening regularly.

When I was in OIF in '03, I remember one occasion when I was talking to a Terminal Air Controller who suddenly stopped talking. A minute later, I talked to one grunt (not a trained controller, by the way) on the radio who picked up the radio after the controller I'd been talking to had been killed. He was cool as a cucumber while we worked to put bombs on the guys that were shooting at him. Every time he keyed the mic I could hear automatic weapons fire in the background and people yelling. I was scared for him, but his voice barely waivered, and even threw in a "thanks!" after we were done working for him.

There are plenty of guts of steel in America's Warriors today, just as there were in 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                Not to diminish the courage of General Dolittle and his airmen, There are plenty of guts of steel in America's Warriors today, just as there were in 1941.
                Couldn't have said it any better Randy. I was going to say something, but I got busy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people on the front lines. No less heroic than any that have been there before. And did I ever say thanks to you? Thanks Randy. Yesterday was Patriot's Day in case anyone was wondering. "The shot heard round the world" in Lexington April 19,1775, and still ringing today.
                Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
                X